GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just traded in my Honda Sabre on a 2002 Yellow Wing, demo model with 800 miles on it. Got it for 12,000.

My wife was not comfortable on the sabre and didn't feel safe so I traded a bike I loved for one we will love.

This bike is amazing! like a cadillac hotrod! I was so suprised how it handled.

One thing, I get alot of buffeting on my head, I am only 5'11", and I moved the the windsheild up to it's highest post and it stopped but then air seems to come over the top of me and push forward. Any recommendations for the adjustment for a happy medium?

Thanks in advance

Sarge

·
Registered
188 Posts
welcome abord sarge...cant help with the wind problem seeing i just got my 1800 before winter set in but still wanted to say welcome to the board..

·
Registered
824 Posts
Welcome aboard, she will love the 1800 and your going to be amazed at what the 1800 can and will do!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sarge, Welcome !!!! You will be more amazed every time you ride the wing. I have a Tulsa windshield and I don't seem to have that problem. BTW you seem to have made a great deal. Congratulations. Joy

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You might look into a taller windshield or 2-piece style windshield. They do help in reducing buffeting. Tulsa, Windbender (Firecreek), and Cee Bailey's are 3 that come to mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After reading a lot about buffeting on this board, I think the Tulsa shield at the mirrors and at the sides are what I am going to do. I have a Vega flip fron helmet, and the ride last Friday with the wind was very noisy. I wonder why the don't come out with earplug type headsets you could use with a light cord that you could just pull your helmet on over top of. I think that would make the intercom much easier to understand when the better 1/2 wants a stop.
I asked the question because I figure someone on this board already has the answer.
WELCOME to the board. The best thing about my 'wing is the friends I've made here and on the GWRRA board. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Before you buy a taller windshield (which, may ultimately be what you'll want), try LOWERING the windshild. I've read where there may be less wind effect, when the shield is lower. I keep mine in the lowest position, and have never been bothered by wind coming over the shield.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Welcome aboard. You're gonna love this bike. I have the Cee Bailey's shield. Its vent relieves the pressure and shoots it overhead. Unlike Tulsa, it is adjustable like the stock shield. Keep looking and researching and you'll find one you like.

CEE BAILEY'S

You might find some of this interesting to think about as you continue getting used to the bike. It's very long with pictures.

INCREASING YOUR RIDING COMFORT

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Agree -- somewhat

I agree somewhat with the above posts. I really don't like looking through the windshield and run mine in the 2nd notch up almost all the time, therefore I am looking over it. I have the Baker Mirror Wings and they help a lot also.

Buffeting is an issue for sure; however, it seems everyone has different expectations on how much wing should be hitting them. I guess I am a little more tolerant so don't find any of it to be bad. Biggest problem for me is when there is a bad cross wind and I have to ride the bike at a 45 deg angle to keep it on the road (well, maybe not quite 45 deg).

·
Registered
170 Posts
You might want to try the HondaLine 04 vent, when closed it directs air up the inside of the windshield which releaves most of the buffeting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome aboard Sarge, you and your SO are going to love this bike. I see you live in Niles and I live in Holland so I know if you just took it for a ride it was cold and therefore any wind you would feel would be noticed. I am 5' 11 ' also and have my windshield at the lowest positon. I don't seem to get mush wind but the little I do is nice in the summer when it get hot. I also like to look over the windshield. Just look at all your options before doing anything. Any way you go you will injoy your 1800.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All!

Thanks GUYS! Nice to hear from all of you.

Yeah Jim, I had her out yesterday! Behind that big front end I feel great, not cold at all. Went home for lunch today and rode her back to work. I can tell I am gonna love this bike. It was so different from what I expected. Best part, it's yellow, and I get to put MICHIGAN blue on it!

I live down by Notre Dame, and am not a fan, so I rub it in all I can!

I'll have to ride up in a few weeks, been to Holland a few times, doing the tulip thing, but should be a awesome ride on the Red Arrow Hwy in a few weeks! Suppose to be in the mid-upper 50's here this weekend, guess I will get some serious seat time in!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sarge,

First of all, GO BLUE!!! :D I live just up the road in St. Joe and I also enjoy all the "ribbing" I can get in on my ND friends and neighbors.

You are going to LOVE your new Wing. It is a fantastic machine. Just fired mine up this afternoon so I can drop it off tomorrow for a few warranty items to get fixed and the ECM changed. I figure I will beat the spring rush, and the mechanic is looking for something to do. They said they will keep it inside until the weather permits me to drive it back home.

There is a small group (3 to 6) that gets together during the summer on Tuesdays at 5PM in Berrien Springs and rides to ???? If you are ever interested in joining us, let me know. We are usually home by dark so that we don't have to dodge the deer.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Another thing you might want to do is lower your suspension some. If it is too high you might feel some of the same buffeting. I keep mine on 3 for myself and 12 with passenger. Plus it provides me for that caddy ride when I hit the country roads. I did install the Tulsa shield and Hot foot, EC blind spot mirrors and this all seemed to help. All others did have some good points thou, but just wanted to mention this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts