GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my new wing; 2003 abs. I was talking to the Honda dealer and he advised me to put on a front fork brace and a belly cover to protect the oil filter assembly.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

2001BMW R1150GS
2000 HD Wideglide

·
Registered
561 Posts
Braces and bellies

You're going to get a variety of opinions on the SuperBrace and other fork braces. Some have had tremendous luck with them, others have had the exact opposite. From the posts I've seen, I personally took it off of my list of addons.

The belly pan, on the other hand, especially the Tulsa, has had nothing but positive reviews - mine included. It's an inexpensive, no-brainer. Get it and put it on yourself, as the installation is simplistic.

Those who have punctured their coolant reserve will definitely back me up on this recommendation! :shock:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Half anyway

Well I would only take half of his advice. The Tulsa Belly Pan is a definate must have IMO. As far as the fork brace ? It's been reported on this board that they are not worth the money and don't do a lot. I'm sure someone elso will post more about the Fork Brace. So is your frame ok ? You in the recall or out of it ? And has the ECM been done ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dont know about superbrace, but the Tulsa belly pan is a good investment. If you have any questions just look under the bike at the coolant tank...plastic and vulnerable to road trash. Easy install, good insurance. :s27:
my 2 cents worth...........KC :sw1:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Order the tulsa bellypan right after this happened

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Half anyway

Mike L said:
Well I would only take half of his advice.
Hey Mike L., if you re-read what I said, you and I are in agreement. :p I took the brace off of my list of addons.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My advice is to avoid the brace, I don't think it's required. If you want to beef up the front end then do the progressive spring upgrade. As for the bellypan, YES! I lost my coolant bottle to a bolt and added mine right after. Get it, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm with Brian. I would put the bucks into upgraded suspention before a super brace..... Rob

G

·
Tony in SC said:
A question: With the belly pan can I still use my motorcycle lift? :roll:
I have the Larin lift, and in my experience the bike lifts just fine with the belly pan in place. :D

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your comments. I'll order the Tulsa Pan.

As for my frame, I'm out of the range of the recall. The dealer I bought it from said " That he could not sell the bike if it was in that range". As for the ECM I don't know. Tell me more. :?:

·
Registered
766 Posts
No problem on the lift. I'm fairly sure that everyone I ride with has a bellypan installed and I know that most of them have lifts also. I've never heard of any problems using the lift with the pan installed. However, even if I had to remove the pan prior to using the lift I would still have it installed. Yes, it offers that much protection. Next time you're at a rally, gathering or out with friends look around. Start looking under bikes and see the abuse that goes on down there. My bellypan had been installed for well over a year now and you should see some of the scratches in it. Without the pan those would be in my engine case.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ya storm

I was refering to the dealer, your post just got there before mine did.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hey Germ

There is a fix for the overheat issues. Without going into great detail ? When in slow traffic conditions or what they call ( Parade ) mode or riding ?
Some 1800's overheat. It has been discussed at length believe me.
Your dealer will know all about it for sure just ask him. They replace the ECM with a new one and check the coolant capacity of the heads. Some have had it done others have not. If your dealer plays dumb he's giving you the run around.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Ya storm

Mike L said:
I was refering to the dealer, your post just got there before mine did.
Ah. Well, I wasn't offended any, which is why I put a smiley there! I just wanted to clarify, but it looks that that was not needed in the first place.

Something about putting my foot in my mouth comes to mind... :oops:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
To check if your ecm has been changed, pull off the right engine cover (chrome) and look at the serial number. If it has a punch mark under the first digit, it's been changed.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Belly pan....

Well I can say the pan helped to save my weekend and motor. I was trying to avoid a rock in road and didnt go over enough, and the rock caught the front section of pan(picture below). Well once I made it home, I took off the front and noticed my oil filter was pretty banged up and loose, but no hole. I called Tulsa and ordered the front half only for $20 and was happy with it. I also think it helps with air flow from cross winds and all that. Also believe it or not, seemed to have more wind coming from underneath when I removed the front half for a couple of days. So do I recommend, oh yea. It also helps protect block and coolant tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts