GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Goldwing passenger in need of some tips/advice on how to ride "relaxed" I've been on the back of a bike before, but not for long periods of time.

Ann:p

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'm a new Goldwing passenger in need of some tips/advice on how to ride "relaxed" I've been on the back of a bike before, but not for long periods of time.

A nice set of after market arm rests, Kuryakyn Transformer passenger floor boards, turn up the heated seat to your comfort zone, dress as if your life depended on it, and most important of all - you must absolutely have to trust the driver of the 'Wing to get you home safe and sound.

My other recommendation - you should take a motorcycle safety course (MSF), and a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license - just in case!

And lastly Ann - don't be afraid to come here to the forum and ask questions. Believe it or not there are quite a few excellent women Goldwing riders.

:bow:

Welcome to the GL1800 Riders forum, and here's wishing you and your partner many miles of smiles!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts

Just get on and the rest will come easy. You can't help but be comforable on a wing as a passenger. I sometimes miss being a passenger on a wing. It is sooooo relaxing. I've been known to fall asleep at times it's so comfortable.
Enjoy the ride.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Relax

Hi Ann - The first thing that you should have the owner buy and install are
passenger armrests. Ours has a built in cup holder. Another thing that my
wife insists on is a full face helmet. The pilot has excellent wind protection
but not the passenger. The full face helmet keeps the wind blast off her
face and doesn't bounce her head around as much as a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet.
Wear good over the ankle boots and a good jacket.

Most of all be a good second pair of eyes and ears for the driver. We need
all the help we can get. Blessings.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
BE VERY CAREFUL!! :roll:

After riding on the back of the wing and soon becoming very comfortable, Farmgal decided to take the MSF and get her licence 'just in case'; then an older Yamaha 750 inline four came home 'to practice on', then it started to be taken to work, then a Vstar 1100 was necessary for work and for vacation travels. After driving the VStar to both the east coast and west coasts over a couple of years she finally decided to swap bikes with me one afternoon when riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....she has still not lost the resulting grin and we now have to have 2 Goldwings instead of one!:22yikes:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Ann,
Welcome to the fun. You've come to the right place for any of your questions.
You might even get an answer that you can use !!

I concur with all the above so I'll add one more piece.

Start with short rides that are comfortable for you and work up to longer and longer rides.

Very soon you'll find yourself doing 3-400 mile days without breaking a sweat !

Sit back and enjoy, you've got the finest world class touring machine ever made.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
Podo has given good advice.

We took our 15 year old, very uncomfortable, very nervous and very and 'I don't want to go' daughter on an week long tour. At first she wanted to 'hang on for dear life'; by the end of the week she realized it would be near impossible to 'fall off' and she became very good at and comfortable with taking pictures as we were travelling down the road.

'When can we go again??'

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Hi Ann, and welcome to the madness! ;)
I agree with everything that's been said so far. The MSF course will help enormously in helping you get comfortable on the bike. Even if you never ride one of your own or have to pilot the Wing, you'll benefit by knowing exactly what's going on in the seat in front of you.

The best thing you can do is obtain a properly-fitted helmet and good riding gear, and wear them! I have armrests and Transformer boards, but there is a different brand than the Kuryakyn ones we have that I wish we'd have gotten instead.

The next thing to do is to get on the bike, put your back against the backrest, and ride, ride, ride. Learn how the bike feels and how your pilot handles it. Go to as many of the forum gatherings as you can and get to know the wonderful folks who hang out here. Before you know it, you'll be an old pro at this motorcycle thing!

Eight years ago I wanted nothing to do with bikes and riding them...now I have as bad a case of winter PMS as anyone here, and I look forward to every mile on the BigYellowBike. I spend a lot of time knitting in the back seat...when I'm not sleeping, that is!

Come into the chat room some evening and meet some of our friends, and Happy Riding!

Becky

·
Canuck
2,844 Posts
Everything everybody has said is right on. The only thing I would add is communication. With a headset you can talk with the driver, and listen to the radio, satellite, MP3 or whatever sound system(s) are on board. My SO and I both appreciate being to chat to each other without yelling.

2,732 Posts
Ann

Welcome to the Goldwing Group forum.

We find that we have some of the best conversations anywhere while riding our Goldwing. Somehow the connection between Ms. Dancer and me promotes and encourages some of the deepest, most thoughtful topics in our lives. We resolve issues, talk about our dreams for the future, make plans for tomorrow, discuss politics and talk about what our adult kids are doing all while connecting in an unbelievable format that is fostered by the closeness with each other on the bike. I'm sure you will sense the same benefit after you ride a couple miles with your partner.

And don't forget the memories that you create "together" as you see the world on your magic carpet!!!!

Getting comfortable comes with a little riding and just a little time. After you learn how the bike leans, the caution practiced by your pilot as he/she guides the bike over the road and the sense of stability the Goldwing fosters all make it easier and easier to relax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Newbie

Wow! Got a lot of great , helpful advice. Thanks so much and if anyone thinks of anything else, just let me know, I appreciate it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
A nice set of after market arm rests, Kuryakyn Transformer passenger floor boards, turn up the heated seat to your comfort zone, dress as if your life depended on it, and most important of all - you must absolutely have to trust the driver of the 'Wing to get you home safe and sound.

My other recommendation - you should take a motorcycle safety course (MSF), and a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license - just in case!

And lastly Ann - don't be afraid to come here to the forum and ask questions. Believe it or not there are quite a few excellent women Goldwing riders.

:bow:

Welcome to the GL1800 Riders forum, and here's wishing you and your partner many miles of smiles!

:thumbup:
'nuff said. enjoy :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ann
I PM you with some info too.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
All of the following is JMHO!:coffee1:

So far, so good! Full face helmet with a sun visor, protective clothing, both jacket and pants, good boots you can walk in as well as ride, good gloves, arm rest, multi position foot pegs, intercom, Butler cup or equivalent, your favorite book or knitting, (what ever) for when you are not asleep, MSF course a must, trust your pilot (MSF course for pilot also)

The protective clothing and helmet are a must. Make sure they fit well and do not ride up, chafe, pinch or pucker! On the Wing, long rides come naturally, and you don't want things leaving their mark from sitting for long periods. Make sure the pants will go on over your boots with out taking the boots off. Some of the protective textile pants can be difficult to get on and off over boots. We had the zippers lengthened on our pants in order to be able to get them on and off with out taking off the boots. You probably don't want to be wearing the protective clothing while sitting in a restaurant or at a friend home or where ever.

There are many other things you can do to get comfy on the Wing, but the main thing is to be safe and protected.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One of the first things I teach my co-rider is what to do with her feet if the bike starts to go down. Most of the time this will be a slow speed event. Have your driver take you to a grassy area and while you are stopped have him lean it over far enough that he can no longer hold it. It won't hurt the bike and you will get an idea of what to do with your feet and how to dismount. Do a left lean and a right lean. The grass won't damage the bike and even if you fall it will be a soft landing. Fear of falling is common and this may help relieve some of your apprehensions.
Welcome to the board and happy riding. :thumbup:
Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
What is the correct thing for the passenger do with her feet in this situation?
Get them out from under the bike. :lol:

You really need to work with your "pilot" on this one. I tell my SO not to try and help me hold up the bike but that may not be what your pilot wants you to do. In all two up riding the rider and passenger need to work as a team so there are no surprises.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts