GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 04 GL1800. Has 26,000 foe $12,500. Nice condition. Needs tires.
What areas of concern should I look for? Frame,leaks,danger signs. Would appreciate your input so I don't make a big mistake.
Thanks, Gary

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. Aside from the normal checking (leaks, starting, shifting, braking, etc.), get the VIN and call Honda USA. Check for any recalls. After that...........ENJOY!!!!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The early production of 2004's were still under the frame inspection/weld advisory from Honda. Either ask the owner if it has been inspected/welded or if it was outside the range. Better yet would be to take the VIN to a dealer and have it checked through Honda. There was also an advisory to have the brake proportional control valve tested and replaced if needed.
Other than that I think the 2004 was a great year. I have a later 2004 Candy Black Cherry. It was outside the frame notice. I now have 60K problem free miles on mine. I've taken pretty good care of it, and it has provided me with lots of problem free riding.
Feel free to ask any additional questions.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
ABS! Don't buy it if it doesn't have it. Other wise sounds like a good deal.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.

I would suggest getting a 05 or newer so that you get the improved frame. You could get ABS in 05 without having to go to the level III package in 06 to 09.

Lots of 04's and down out there with 0 problems.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Other than that I think the 2004 was a great year. I have a later 2004 Candy Black Cherry. It was outside the frame notice. I now have 60K problem free miles on mine. I've taken pretty good care of it, and it has provided me with lots of problem free riding.

:agree::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
847 Posts
As the others said have the VIN checked for the frame recall, and see if all the SB have been done ie saddlebag/trunk latches. 04 was one of those years which were prone to antifreeze leaks. It took the dealer 4 tries to get all the leaks under control on mine. Having said that it has been trouble free for 72,000 miles.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, 26,000 miles on a 04? It's barely broken in. I'm assuming you have taken it gor a test ride - Did you notice anythng? Brakes? All the lights work? Does it have a CB? Trailer Hitch? Packit Rack?

At 26K you shold be considering changing all of the fluids.

Tires tend to be very expensive at the stealers -- might want to consider buying a set of Stones from the board sponsor (www.hdl.com).

04 Titanium with 110,000 trouble free smiles.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. This seems like the place to get lots of info. I'm leaning towards an 05-06. Made an offer on a 06. Hope to be on the road soon. Look foward to meeting new friends and getting some old ones out on the road also. Thanks, I'll be back and let you know how it turned out. Gary in Alabama:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
The early production of 2004's were still under the frame inspection/weld advisory from Honda. Either ask the owner if it has been inspected/welded or if it was outside the range. Better yet would be to take the VIN to a dealer and have it checked through Honda. There was also an advisory to have the brake proportional control valve tested and replaced if needed.
Same here! ABS is a Major +, if it doesn't have it, sounds like a Good Buy, anyway!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts