GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new to the forum and just checking in. I am planning a road trip from: New Hampshire To: Norfolk, VA next month. Any suggestion on routes, that may help me avoid much of 95S as possible are more than welcomed.Thanks

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Welcome sir! Can't help much with the routes, but others will be along shortly!

Enjoy this site. You will find it and some of the folks delightful. There are a few "others" but they are relatively harmless...

have a great trip!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Hi All, new to the forum and just checking in. I am planning a road trip from: New Hampshire To: Norfolk, VA next month. Any suggestion on routes, that may help me avoid much of 95S as possible are more than welcomed.Thanks
How quickly do you want to get there? I've rode down to Ocean City, Maryland avoiding most interstate travel and big cities, but it was a long day's ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How quickly do you want to get there? I've rode down to Ocean City, Maryland avoiding most interstate travel and big cities, but it was a long day's ride.
jlbc212, Thanks for the reply!

Not in a hurry, gonna get a head start on wife who is flying and meet her in VA. Plans to start 7am and stop 4pm or so an continue next day to complete journey.. not rushing just cruzn.. what route did you take?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Welcome, if you need Wing work, Rocket Moto in Hollis NH is where I get mine done. Even though it is a 2 hour ride for me.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

Sorry I can't help you with your trip, bit I can WELCOME you to the forum. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
jlbc212, Thanks for the reply!

Not in a hurry, gonna get a head start on wife who is flying and meet her in VA. Plans to start 7am and stop 4pm or so an continue next day to complete journey.. not rushing just cruzn.. what route did you take?
I live in the northeast corner of Massachusetts. I worked my way over to Rte 2, getting on it beyond Fitchburg. I headed west on Rte. 2 to Rte 8A. Took 8A south to Rte 9. 8A is a twisty, narrow road that follows along a stream. There are other routes, like 112, that will you get you south to Rte. 9. Rte 9 west will bring you into Dalton, the location of the paper mill where the paper for U.S. currency is (or was) produced. Dalton is adjacent to Pittsfield. It's a city, but I never found it difficult to pass through. In Pittsfield Rte. 9 will intersect with Rte. 20. I take Rte. 20 west into New York. Shortly after crossing the MA / NY border I turn south from Rte. 20 onto Rte. 22 south. My goal from here is the Taconic State Parkway. I can't remember exactly how I got to it. I may have jumped on Interstate 90 (a continuation of the MA turnpike / NY version). I headed south on the Taconic State Parkway. As a Parkway, no trucks are allowed and everytime I've travelled it the traffic has been light. I get off when I see the exit for Red Hook, Rte. 199. This brings me to a bridge to cross the Hudson River. There's a toll to cross, but it's less than $5 (if I remember correctly) and once again, the traffic has always been light. On the west side of the Hudson I turn onto Rte. 209. Rte. 209 passes through many small towns. I follow south on 209 to Port Jarvis at the NY / Pennsylvania border. I stay on Rte. 209 for a considerable distance through PA. The first section will be through the scenic Delaware Water Gap along the Delaware River which separates PA from New Jersey. I follow Rte. 209 to Pottsville. There I turn onto Rte. 61 south. This goes does down to Reading, PA. There's a super slab route around Reading. On the south side of Reading I take Rte. 176 south down to the junction of Rte. 76 where I look to get onto Rte. 10 south. In Oxford, after passing Rte. 1, I look for Rte. 472 south. This takes me into Maryland, where the Rte. 472 number changes to Rte. 213. I follow south on 213 and look for signs for Rte. 50 south. Rte. 50 south goes down to Salisbury, Maryland where it intersects with Rte. 13. According to the Rand McNally road atlas Rte. 13 continues through Maryland into Virginia. Rte. 13 leads directly to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Norfolk, Virginia is on the south side of the bridge. This route avoids the BIG cities, most interstates and most tolls.

If you decide to go this way, I suggest you get yourself a Rand McNally road atlas or road maps of all the states you will pass through. You should be able to easily do it in 2 days. A buddy and I got down to Salisbury, Maryland in one day. It was a long day, but I find it easier and more enjoyable to ride long hours at a relaxed pace on back roads rather than speeding along dodging trucks on interstates.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I live in the northeast corner of Massachusetts. I worked my way over to Rte 2, getting on it beyond Fitchburg. I headed west on Rte. 2 to Rte 8A. Took 8A south to Rte 9. 8A is a twisty, narrow road that follows along a stream. There are other routes, like 112, that will you get you south to Rte. 9. Rte 9 west will bring you into Dalton, the location of the paper mill where the paper for U.S. currency is (or was) produced. Dalton is adjacent to Pittsfield. It's a city, but I never found it difficult to pass through. In Pittsfield Rte. 9 will intersect with Rte. 20. I take Rte. 20 west into New York. Shortly after crossing the MA / NY border I turn south from Rte. 20 onto Rte. 22 south. My goal from here is the Taconic State Parkway. I can't remember exactly how I got to it. I may have jumped on Interstate 90 (a continuation of the MA turnpike / NY version). I headed south on the Taconic State Parkway. As a Parkway, no trucks are allowed and everytime I've travelled it the traffic has been light. I get off when I see the exit for Red Hook, Rte. 199. This brings me to a bridge to cross the Hudson River. There's a toll to cross, but it's less than $5 (if I remember correctly) and once again, the traffic has always been light. On the west side of the Hudson I turn onto Rte. 209. Rte. 209 passes through many small towns. I follow south on 209 to Port Jarvis at the NY / Pennsylvania border. I stay on Rte. 209 for a considerable distance through PA. The first section will be through the scenic Delaware Water Gap along the Delaware River which separates PA from New Jersey. I follow Rte. 209 to Pottsville. There I turn onto Rte. 61 south. This goes does down to Reading, PA. There's a super slab route around Reading. On the south side of Reading I take Rte. 176 south down to the junction of Rte. 76 where I look to get onto Rte. 10 south. In Oxford, after passing Rte. 1, I look for Rte. 472 south. This takes me into Maryland, where the Rte. 472 number changes to Rte. 213. I follow south on 213 and look for signs for Rte. 50 south. Rte. 50 south goes down to Salisbury, Maryland where it intersects with Rte. 13. According to the Rand McNally road atlas Rte. 13 continues through Maryland into Virginia. Rte. 13 leads directly to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Norfolk, Virginia is on the south side of the bridge. This route avoids the BIG cities, most interstates and most tolls.

If you decide to go this way, I suggest you get yourself a Rand McNally road atlas or road maps of all the states you will pass through. You should be able to easily do it in 2 days. A buddy and I got down to Salisbury, Maryland in one day. It was a long day, but I find it easier and more enjoyable to ride long hours at a relaxed pace on back roads rather than speeding along dodging trucks on interstates.
I would avoid the Taconic Parkway at night. I have never seen so many deer in my life.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome to the forum JustcruznGL
I'm in Milford for the summer, where in NH are you?

Welcome, if you need Wing work, Rocket Moto in Hollis NH is where I get mine done. Even though it is a 2 hour ride for me.
Rocket Moto is now in a regular shop space in Nashua NH. Adam decided to go full time so he moved the operation from his garage in May and has more room now. He's a very knowledgeable and great guy that goes way beyond where most shops go in servicing wings. They also stock a lot of electronic stuff for bikes as they do a big Internet business with great prices. I went with Racetech front suspension and Sena 10 bluetooth from Adam. He and his wife have been in business since 2009. He has a collection of antique bikes and is a dealer for the new hand built American V4 bike, Motus.

2 Townsend West, unit 8 Nashua NH
https://www.rocketmoto.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts