GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughs and desires for the 6th generation Wing? I want:

- head lamps that stay where they need to be no matter how curvey the road is or how laid over in a turn I am in. Lighting up the trees tops on a turn does nothing for me seeing where I am headed.

- satalite link cruise control. I want to be a tail gunner, see the Wings around me on my screen, and select my CC speed to stay the same as the lead bike from touch screen.

- a touch screen instead of so many buttons.

- a remote to open the side compartment where my rain gear is stored.

- a flip-up shelter for easy service access like semi's have

- a built in wheel balance system

- a glovebox that when open, does not fall in my lap

What are your wishes?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Boy, this opens the door. :joke:

Seriously, after having many extremely quiet Honda cars, I would like to see the annoying 'Howler Monkey' whine totally eliminated.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
satalite link cruise control. I want to be a tail gunner, see the Wings around me on my screen, and select my CC speed to stay the same as the lead bike from touch screen.
Amateur Radio Operators already have this, it is called APRS. A future release of the GL2way system is rumored to be getting a feature to integrate APRS MicE (roger beep becomes a packet burst) to provide position, heading and speed reports :yes:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd like to see a couple of things added to the list:

• HID headlamps (auto leveling) and driving lights standard
  • Suspension selection options (with magnetic dampening shocks)
  • Traction control
  • Improved logic regarding the operation of the auto-canceling turn signals
  • Slightly faster and variable speed reverse
  • Locking sidestand
  • Saddlebag and trunk interior LED lighting
  • Integrated alarm system
  • Optional turbo-charged performance package
A heads-up display might be very cool, if it can be done without being restricted to OEM windshields.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
ABS standard, not an option or available only with a higher level bike.

Trip computer with useful info like instant and average fuel mleage, gear position indicator, etc.

+1 on the built-in wheel balancing system, ala centramatic balancers--standard.

Electrically-adjustable, (on the fly) windshield and better designed windshield

Better front suspension

Brighter rear turn signals, located both on the lower rear and on the trunk for better visibility and conspicuity.

Return to single color scheme

·
Registered
318 Posts
- a touch screen instead of so many buttons.
Ford is getting poor reviews for its touchscreen controls, and car journalists lament the absence of buttons.. now try using a touch screen with gloves..

BMW's K1600GT and GTL use a rotary wheel and a menu system, and even though it looks slick and easy to use, in practice, I prefer the direct access with all those buttons on the Goldwing.

I'd like to see traction control, a mileage computer: overall mpg, current mpg, riding range with current fuel, a gear indicator and an electrically adjustable screen. That said, if all this is applied to the next gen Wing, I won't be trading mine in any time soon. I'm that pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
1. Lose some weight
2. Electric windshield
3. 6 speeds please
4. VOX adjustment on the intercom
5. Improved luggage
6. Easier access for routine maintenance items
7. Better & adjustable suspension (preload, compression & rebound damping adjustments on both ends)
8. Lose the Nav, I'll get an aftermarket unit for less $$$

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Factory cup holder!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
1. Lose some weight
2. Electric windshield
3. 6 speeds please
5. Improved luggage
7. Better & adjustable suspension (preload, compression & rebound damping adjustments on both ends)
yes, plus ABS without all the other crap.

·
Registered
898 Posts
1. Lose some weight

Not sure where they could lose the wieght but it would be nice.

2. Electric windshield

Sort of goes against option 1 but would be nice.
3. 6 speeds please

That would be nice

That would be nice
5. Improved luggage

A little better designed saddlebags/trunk to be able to use all the space available.

That would be great, although only the air cleaber is a pain, the tires,and sparkplugs are relativly easy.

This is a big one they should have suspension that is adjustable for the ride(sporty or touring etc)

Don't have the Nav on mine so don't know how good or bad it is.

I'll add one of my own-a few more ponies , it should be pretty easy to get 15-20 more horses out of a 1832CC engine without affecting the reliability/longevity at all.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Maybe a gyroscope system so I won't fall over when I get older!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I would like all it has now, but with more computer read out
like current MGP, gear indicater, etc.

Oh, and throw in the deceased VTX1800 V-twin to give me some
stretched out foot position. :22yikes: I am sure only about 2% agree with
me here, on this Goldwing board.

Herb

·
Registered
528 Posts
Traction control
Electrically adjustable windshield
Improved suspension
pre-load adjustable on the fly
smoother shifting transmission
improved XM reception
I haven't seen the 2012 nav in operation but I would like to see more detail on the maps without having to zoom in so far

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Ford is getting poor reviews for its touchscreen controls, and car journalists lament the absence of buttons.. now try using a touch screen with gloves..

BMW's K1600GT and GTL use a rotary wheel and a menu system, and even though it looks slick and easy to use, in practice, I prefer the direct access with all those buttons on the Goldwing.

I'd like to see traction control, a mileage computer: overall mpg, current mpg, riding range with current fuel, a gear indicator and an electrically adjustable screen. That said, if all this is applied to the next gen Wing, I won't be trading mine in any time soon. I'm that pleased with it.
How about comjplete wireless integration to all electronics? Would not need touch screen if you could talk to your GPS etc..

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Automatic Transmission and Ride by Wire Throttle

Definitely an automatic transmission and a ride-by-wire low-effort throttle.

My muscles don't always work right and fighting with the clutch and holding the throttle are a problem for me. I know, I know, you're a REAL MAN and wouldn't own a motorcycle with a fracking automatic transmission. Good for you. I'm sure your wife is very happy. My physical limits are lower and much stricter than yours.

A good automatic transmission would let me just ride. A low effort throttle would help keep my hands from freezing up on longer rides. It sure is nice when you can actually operate the controls on your motorcycle.

Since so many Wing riders live with a chronic illness, or three, I can't be the only one who would appreciate these subtle improvements.

·
Registered
686 Posts
"- head lamps that stay where they need to be no matter how curvey the road is or how laid over in a turn I am in. Lighting up the trees tops on a turn does nothing for me seeing where I am headed."

+1

"- a touch screen instead of so many buttons."

Up to a point, but the rotating selector from the 1600 would be better. A touch screen, as noted later, could be an issue with gloved hands and a bumpy road.

"Electrically-adjustable windshield."

Feh. Got that as an option for Windbenders. And I prefer that to the OEM shield, in any event.

(mine) OEM hitch system... or, a mounting point to the main frame that is easily tied into.

We know that we (collectively) tow trailers with our Wings.

Honda knows that we tow trailers with our Wings

WHY NOT JUST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT? THEY CAN STILL ESTABLISH MAX TOWING WEIGHTS, AND DECLINE FRAME/TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WITH EVIDENCE OF MISUSE.

Even if it meant some weight increase, that's a penalty that I'd be willing to accept.

Anything additional would have to be a substantial improvement over the 2012 to move away (setting aside finances) from my '08.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good Thread

Now we've hit on something that I might be able to help with. I've tried to compile a list of everything that has been mentioned so far (I may have missed thing or mis-understood things) and would like to let the list "settle" a bit and put together a survey so that we can all see where what "I" want fits with what everyone else wants.
(Survey will be a link to another site, not just a poll here).

So, the list I have so far is pasted below. Please let me know if there are things on the list that you wouldn't understand (I don't care if you WANT it at this point, as long as you UNDERSTAND it).

Also, please keep adding things.

Self-Aiming Headlamps - head lamps that stay where they need to be no matter how curvey the road is or how laid over in a turn I am in. Lighting up the trees tops on a turn does nothing for me seeing where I am headed.
Linked Cruise Control - I want to be a tail gunner, see the Wings around me on my screen, and select my Cruise Control speed to stay the same as the lead bike.
Touch Screen for many "on bike" operations
Remote switch to open saddlebags
Flip-up type shelter for easier maintenance - Tractor / Trailer like
Build in Wheel balancing system
A Glove box that when opened, does not fall in my lap
Noise Reduction
A function similar to APRS (http://www.aprs.org/) to provide position, heading and speed reports.
A No Faring, Bags or Trunk option
HID Headlamps and driving lights
Increased Suspension control (Magnetic Dampening Shocks)
Traction Control
Improved turn signal Auto-Cancel functionality
Faster Reverse
Variable Speed Reverse
Locking Side stand
Saddlebag Interior LED Lighting
Trunk Interior LED Lighting
Integrated Alarm
Turbo-charged Performance Package
Heads-up Display (that works with all windshields)
ABS Standard
Instant Fuel Mileage Information
Average Fuel Mileage Information
Riding Range Indicator
Gear Position Indicator
Improved front suspension
Brighter Rear Turn Signals
Turn signals on the Trunk and Saddlebags for visibility.
Single Color Scheme
Overall weight decrease
Adjustable (push button) Front Windshield (while in transit)
6th Gear
VOX Intercom Adjustment
Improved Luggage (what should be improved?)
Easier access for routine maintenance (Air Filter)
Preload, Compression and Rebound Dampening for rear wheel
Preload, Compression and Rebound Dampening for front wheel
Built-in Navigation optional at all finish levels
Built-in Cup Holder
Increased engine performance
Hydraulic assist center stand
Gyroscopic Balance Assist
V-Twin option
On the fly adjustable suspension
Smoother Shifting Transmission
Improved XM Reception
More detail on maps without having to zoom in.
Wireless electronic integration (GPS, Phone, etc.)
Automatic Transmission.
Ride-by-wire / Low Effort throttle
Fewer buttons with equivalent control
OEM Hitch System
OEM Hitch Frame Mounting Points

1 - 20 of 47 Posts