GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I'm opening a can of worms but here goes my question. Stopped by my local auto parts store and asked for 6 x NGK BKR6E-11 2756 so I could change out my spark plugs in my 2013 GL1800 Level IV. I also needed a new feeler gauge to set the gap on the NGK's. The parts guys suddenly tells me, with the new spark plugs for sale now a days you don't set the gap any more because their is a resister inside the core of the plug that sets the right amount of spark, and if you try to set the gap that piece could break while setting it. Never heard of this, is it true? Just take the spark plug out of the box and install it, no gap setting required. What gives?????

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
My understanding is that the '-11' in the part number indicates that the factory gap on the plug is 1.1mm

Honda gap spec is, of course, 1.0 - 1.1 mm (0.039 -0.043")

True or not about the -11, I've checked every one I've installed and haven't had to change one.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
I bought iridiums and 2 were out of spec ! I always ck. Your call !

Reactions: CAWing and JoeHall

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am heading out later today to FLAPS to buy new plugs for the 2008 GW. This is only the 2nd time changing them, but I always check plug gap before installing in anything. Last time with this GW, two of the plugs were off, but not by much. Easy to re-gap. Of course it's also easy to break the ceramic base of the electrode on any plug, but just be careful. No big deal.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
The parts guys suddenly tells me, with the new spark plugs for sale now a days you don't set the gap any more because their is a resister inside the core of the plug that sets the right amount of spark, and if you try to set the gap that piece could break while setting it. Never heard of this, is it true? Just take the spark plug out of the box and install it, no gap setting required. What gives?????
For information that you can absolutely count on, go to Owner's Manual > index > spark plugs > spark plug replacement and inspection.

Don't question them, don't deviate from them, don't overthink them ... nothing. Follow those simple instructions to a tee !!!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
ALWAYS check the Gap on a Spark Plug before installing it. Although most Spark Plugs have the Gap Set at the time of manufacture: A.) That Gap may not be correct for every application of that particular Part Number AND B.) Rough handling between the time of manufacture and the time you actually open the box may have changed the Spark Plug Gap.

FWIW the construction of the Spark Plug ex: Resistor has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with the Gap of the Spark Plug. Only the Side Electrode is "adjustable."

In the attached picture of a Spark Plug I sectioned many years ago, the blueish/Grayish area in the middle is the Resistor.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Regardless of what the parts guy says, I will check the gap on my plugs before installing. Easy to do and a "peace of mind" sort of thing.

And, as a reminder for those who may have missed my NGK spark plug thread from a few weeks ago, best not to purchase NGK plugs from Amazon or Ebay. Buy from your dealer or reputable auto parts store.

Reactions: CAWing and JoeHall

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Last week, your auto parts clerk was probably working in a shoe store. I wouldn't give him much credence.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I purchased and installed new NKG 2756 plugs today. After 24,000 miles, the old ones had burned wide. I had installed them set at .042", and they were .045-.046" today. So I set the new ones to .039", and plan to change them at 16,000 miles next time.

I noticed the new ones have a 'V' groove in the electrode, whereas the old ones did not. The boxes said, "V Power", so I wonder if that is in reference to the 'V' groove. They cost $2.59 each at FLAPS, but I get a 10 percent discount there.

Reactions: MiWinger51

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
The ones I have 'in inventory' also have the v groove.

And a plastic sleeve over the threads and electrode, presumably to reduce the chance of thread damage or gap change due to handling.

Regardless, as always, they will be checked before installation.

(if I find a place to use them :frown2: the 1833 uses a different plug (and gap))

1833:
Spark plug (standard) CR6HSB-9 (NGK)
Spark plug gap 0.031 to 0.035 in (0.80 to 0.90 mm)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, to be clear I was still going to confirm the required OEM spark plug gap via my Honda shop manual and confirm each plug was gapped correctly. However I don't recall spark plugs being pre-gapped by the manufacturer, although as an old fart my memory is not what it used to be. Thanks for all the feed back, everyone.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Reactions: 05nwl

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
Ok, to be clear I was still going to confirm the required OEM spark plug gap via my Honda shop manual and confirm each plug was gapped correctly. However I don't recall spark plugs being pre-gapped by the manufacturer, although as an old fart my memory is not what it used to be. Thanks for all the feed back, everyone.

Ride safe.
Spark plugs have been pre-gaped since at least the mid 70s'. However, that does not mean that their gap is what they need to be for the application they are being used for, or that their gap was not damaged in shipping.

Hint ... work smartly ... when doing any maintenance or repair, always inspect and compare replacement parts to the old one(s) once they are removed from the packaging. If adjustments need done, such as gaping plugs, the time to do it is then. It is all part of the inspection process prior to installing them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ok I know I'm opening a can of worms but here goes my question. Stopped by my local auto parts store and asked for 6 x NGK BKR6E-11 2756 so I could change out my spark plugs in my 2013 GL1800 Level IV. I also needed a new feeler gauge to set the gap on the NGK's. The parts guy suddenly tells me, with the new spark plugs for sale now a days you don't set the gap any more because their is a resister inside the core of the plug that sets the right amount of spark, and if you try to set the gap that piece could break while setting it. Never heard of this, is it true? Just take the spark plug out of the box and install it, no gap setting required. What gives?????
There is a reason he parts guy is working the parts counter. I really do not think it is because he is mechanic or a technical whiz. Read and heed the Service Manual.

Reactions: CAWing
1 - 16 of 16 Posts