GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Joyce here instead of Tony....I need some info, ideas, input etc....We are planning a trip in 4 weeks...leaving little ole Alabama and heading to Niagara Falls & Canada, then heading to Freeport Maine and back down 95 to Savannah, Ga and then over to Alabama..We have 17 days to kill......I need some good places to stay, eat, attractions to see etc...You get the idea....Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
If you are anywhere near Mt. Washington in New Hampshire or Acadia National Park (Mt. Desert) in Maine, those two places are worth the time to visit. :thumbup:

·
Registered
994 Posts
No suggestions re:I-95 but if you're going to the Canadian side of the Falls you'll need passports. That said, I would suggest crossing at the Peace Bridge then take an immediate right and go up the Niagara Parkway instead of the QEW. Very nice ride. Keep on going through NF and head up to St. Catherines or Niagara-On-the-Lake. Both fun and interesting towns. On a clear day you can see Toronto from NOTL...
NF itself is pretty nice (I hear there is a water attraction of some kind there...) but be sure to see other areas. Nice wine county, too...!:thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I 95

Hi everyone! Joyce here instead of Tony....I need some info, ideas, input etc....We are planning a trip in 4 weeks...leaving little ole Alabama and heading to Niagara Falls & Canada, then heading to Freeport Maine and back down 95 to Savannah, Ga and then over to Alabama..We have 17 days to kill......I need some good places to stay, eat, attractions to see etc...You get the idea....Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks!!!
run 495 to mass turnpike then 84 south to 81 south too many big cities and boxes on 95

·
Registered
55 Posts
my wife and live just off I-95 outside wilson n.c. if you are this way and we are home let us know and we will all go out to eat at some of the best barbecue ever at Parkers just let us know have a safe trip out there we are going out west on our bike in a couple of months

·
Registered
298 Posts
most roads are great in west virgina rt 219 all the way to the falls .. 81n to 77 north to rt 19 north ... new river gorge bridge,, follow to 79 north to falls or rt 33 buccannan back over to rt 219 north thru the woods .. to pa maybe stop at flight 93 flight zone 219 to rt 30 north for like 5 miles to flight 93 then back on your way 219 north ,, enjoy your ride

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Millersburg, Ohio is a must. Stay at the Millersburg hotel. It was inexpensive and the owner said I could leave my wallet outside and it would still be there in the morning...I believe him. It's in the middle of Amish country. Beautiful!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't know if you've given much thought on your route from Niagara Falls to Freeport but I certainly hope you've considered the Adirondack park and white mountains in Vermont. There is some fantastic riding up there and beautiful scenery !

if you want some route info, let me know via pm......New York thruway is a slab and very boring, not to mention an expensive toll road!

·
Registered
357 Posts
If possible, I would incorporate the following scenic roads into your route:

1. Mt. Washington
2. The Kancamagus Hwy through the White Mountain National Forest
3. US 219 from Buffalo, NY to Southwest VA.
4. Swing through the area around Deal's Gap/Blue Ridge Parkway/Cherohala National Forest

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
run 495 to mass turnpike then 84 south to 81 south too many big cities and boxes on 95
:agree: As my last post said stay off 95 if you can. Truckers call it "The grave yard" for a reason. Avoid 95 through NY, NJ, skip Baltimore, and Washington. following his suggestion...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you don't take a western route as DJ suggests, I would take an eastern route if I could to avoid I-95. I think it would be fun to take Rt 17 east and south in VA as far as it goes. Which includes Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC.

But I really prefer DJ's western route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts