GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the easier to get though back to NY on a Monday?

Two years ago on a Sunday it took two hours at Niagara to cross back to NY I don't want to repeat that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hard to predict. It varies by time of day and direction. Canadians come to the US early on weekends to shop. I've entered Canada at the same time with only a few vehicles in front of me at customs but the line coming in the other direction may be 1/2 mile long. Likewise coming back to the US on Sunday evenings may be a 15 minute wait. This mostly at Lewiston. There are signs on the Canadian side that show likely wait times at the three bridges. Sometimes driving the 20 miles or so from Buffalo to Lewiston will actually be faster.

Pete

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A real expert on this is my good friend Tom in Canada ... he lives just 20 minutes or so from Niagara Falls and crosses frequently ... ask him ... [email protected] ...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to predict. It varies by time of day and direction. Canadians come to the US early on weekends to shop. I've entered Canada at the same time with only a few vehicles in front of me at customs but the line coming in the other direction may be 1/2 mile long. Likewise coming back to the US on Sunday evenings may be a 15 minute wait. This mostly at Lewiston. There are signs on the Canadian side that show likely wait times at the three bridges. Sometimes driving the 20 miles or so from Buffalo to Lewiston will actually be faster.

Pete

[h=2]Thanks Pete,I've looked at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge and it shows no wait time unlike the other three from 45-60 min wait in the same time frame.[/h][h=2][/h]

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks Pete,I've looked at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge and it shows no wait time unlike the other three from 45-60 min wait in the same time frame.

That used to be the ticket as few knew about it but since 9-11 its been closed to all except some commercial traffic with permits. Too bad. When Lewiston-Queenston gets too backed up I have found shorter lines at the Rainbow Bridge right at the Falls. As you approach Lewiston bridge from the US side you can usually see if traffic is backed up on the US side and proceed on to the Rainbow. Coming from Canada its harder to tell until you are stuck in line as the last exit has been moved from the river road to about 2 miles before the bridge. On a bike we used to be able to take the shoulder to the river road if it was backed up but now that doesn't work.

Pete

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That used to be the ticket as few knew about it but since 9-11 its been closed to all except some commercial traffic with permits. Too bad. When Lewiston-Queenston gets too backed up I have found shorter lines at the Rainbow Bridge right at the Falls. As you approach Lewiston bridge from the US side you can usually see if traffic is backed up on the US side and proceed on to the Rainbow. Coming from Canada its harder to tell until you are stuck in line as the last exit has been moved from the river road to about 2 miles before the bridge. On a bike we used to be able to take the shoulder to the river road if it was backed up but now that doesn't work.

Pete
I saw a Nexus pass is needed now but that is not an option for me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I saw a Nexus pass is needed now but that is not an option for me.
Yeah, OK... You figured out that the Whirlpool is a Nexus Bridge with NO commercial traffic (trucks) and pre-approved documents. Mostly back/forth commuter traffic. They even have chicane lanes and low overhead BIG barriers to keep the Riff-Raff out. Or in, respectively...

I've had some experience with commercial buses going back and forth; I've found the Lewiston the best bet getting into Canada weekday and mid-mornings. Sometimes, and it's a guess, the Peace Bridge at Buffalo is better getting in but it ALWAYS has bunches of commercial traffic but they used to have their own lane(s)...

Getting back into the US, on a weekday but don't remember it being on Monday, again I've found Lewiston is a pretty good but with the Rainbow being next for MC's and auto's--lots of lanes for those vehicles. Not so much for us poor dumb bus drivers...

In any instance, either side of the river is a good ride while looking for "your" bridge... Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone I now have info I didn't have before hopefully it will help. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts