GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone given the Niche Brake Pads a try?

Price is attractive but wondering if fitment is problematic.

These things eat brake pads and the OEM are just ridiculous price wise. Add to that replacing the caliper bolts every time you have the calipers off and you are in the $300 range for 15,000 miles of riding.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
FYI....
Even Fred Harmon has stated you do not need to replace the caliper bolts.

The brake caliper bolts are not "stretch to yield" bolts. The only reason Honda tells you to replace them is because they have a thread lock agent pre-applied to new bolts when you buy them. (This info came direct from Honda engineering in Japan). You can re-use the same bolts without fear of them breaking.

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
So far so good on front brakes, I have about 2,200 miles on them not one issue. Seems to be less brake dust and they stop as good as the OEM pads I replaced. I bought these as a give it a try for the cost was ridiculously crazy, I was willing to take a chance, and as I said so far so good. They fit like OEM. I even replaced the parking brake with them. I bought the rear pads but the OEM's is holding up very well. I have the front and rear Honda OEM's in hand if I find I don't agree with this brand. JMHO (I went with the semi-metallic).

Reactions: Tony_C and tclhb

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,642 Posts
I installed them on my bike and no issues so far. 5k miles later, no issues. I agree with Kenichi; there seems to be less brake dust. The thing I noticed most is they seem to be significantly quieter than the OEM pads. I don't get that "growl" when I hit the front brakes anymore.

Reactions: Kenichi and tclhb

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I'm at 14k and will be needing pads pretty soon. I agree about the noise with the OEM pads. When you hit them hard they do growl. Just amazed they don't last any longer than they do.

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
@Mophead I really don't think you will be disappointed, especially in the pocket book....more Beer $$🍻

·
Chard Member
13,195 Posts
Does D2Moto stock pads for the new Wing yet? If they do they’ll probably be priced about $11 a set using the 25% discount code for HH pads.

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tour Manual
285 Posts
Which version are you guys recommending?

View attachment 374007
I bought the organic. Not quite as grabby as the stock pads and I find I'm stopping smoother now. So far I'm very happy with the performance, but I haven't ridden in the rain yet with them. I understand that when wet, the stopping power of organic pads can be diminished.

I believe the best replacement for the OEMs is probably the semi-metallic. It's organic and metallic material mixed together, hence the "semi". All metallic pads can chew up a rotor. I'm going to buy the semi-mettalic pads next time. About $40 for two sets. (y)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks for your input guys.......
I don't need pads yet, but figured I'd get them for when I need them as it sounds like the fronts go fast.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Don't see any Niche for the rear, at least not the correct OEM cross-reference?
Looked on their site and also Amazon...

OEM Brake Pads
  • Front (x2): 06455-MKC-A01
  • Rear (X1): 06435-MKC-A01
  • Parking Brake (x1): 06436-MEH-006

·
Registered
225 Posts

OEM Brake Pads
Watching, I couldn't find them either and bought oem, didn't install them because they were hardly worn.
Pbr

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I chatted with Niche online and if the guy on chat knew anything, he said they don't make the rear pads for the 2018+ Goldwing.
Seems strange they make all varieties of the front and also the parking brake pads, but no rear?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was criticized for suggesting this before but - my pads were pretty worn at 24000 miles and for the price of pads I thought they wore out too quickly. I have been using less brake and more downshifting manually. Somebody warned that brake pads were much cheaper than clutch rebuilding. Funny, prior to DCT, we all downshifted to assist with slowing down the bike. I am confident that this bike can handle engine braking fine, especially if done in a non aggressive manner. The braking system is GREAT, I just want my pads to last longer. I expect that this OEM set will last 35-40000 miles. My finger is on the front brake lever during all stops especially when vehicles are following. Love the DCT but try gently downshifting as you approach intersections flashing your brake lights. You can just about stop this bike safely without using the brakes. Remember to flash the brake lights as you slow down. The next set of pads will be Niche as the price sounds great. Will be watching for other reviews on them as they sound like a great alternative.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,681 Posts
I downshift while slowing down and downshift in the mountains while going down grade to hold the speed using my brakes only as needed..still at 15k miles the front pads were pretty thin..maybe could had made 20k miles but just didnt want the worry about ruining the rotors so I changed the pads..I dont think downshifting will add all that much life to these OEM pads.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts

OEM Brake Pads
Front and rear parking set. Looks like Niche is confused on the rear brake setup.
They think the parking pad is the main rear brake pad. DUH!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts