GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone read Nick's editorial in the last WingWorld, re: Car Tires?

I thought he had several good points, but will defer to the experts here for a good critique.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I read the article and yes, he has some good points. However, I have not read of a car tire failing and there are many riders who claim to have put thousands of miles on them.I
I don't know of anyone who is against car tires that has actually tried it. As for me, I don't need tires yet, but when I do, perhaps a car tire will find it's way onto my bike.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I have climbed on the fence a little. Ride on CTs it's your choice.
Based on the information I have NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NJREF said:
I thought this was a debate about Connecticut (CT)
Nope... but maybe you could start another thread... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I am truly amazed that anyone would want to put a car tire on a motorcycle. But I'm even more amazed that this issue is apparently so casual to some folks that the thread titles now have an abreviation (CT) that we are supposed to understand.

Carry on, I'll try not to stop in on these threads in the future now that I know what "CT" stands for.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
jjs

Have you ever changed the size or width of the tires on any of your cars?
I know I sure have.

Good taste in vehicles, by the way.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
tjshelton said:

I thought he had several good points, but will defer to the experts here for a good critique.
No, didn't read it, TJ. But I don't belong to the GWRRA and one needs to be a member in order to read the mag online.

What were his conclusions? Was his opinion informed by experimentation of any sort?

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leftwinger said:
tjshelton said:

No, didn't read it, TJ. But I don't belong to the GWRRA and one needs to be a member in order to read the mag online.

What were his conclusions? Was his opinion informed by experimentation of any sort?

Cheers,
Scott
I'll try to summarize.

Generally he was against putting a car tire on a GoldWing.

He based his opinion on discussions with manufacturer agents from multiple tire makers from both the car tire and bike tire industries.

He mentioned the shape of the tire, but his main point was that the beads were different, thus causing a car tire not to seat properly on a bike rim.

He also wondered about any liability issues that a web-site (like this one) might have if someone has an accident - where the use of a car tire was a factor. Since this site (and many others) are allowing this kind of post, could they be held liable? I don't believe so, but I'm not a lawyer.

I think I hit the high points. I'm sure there are others who read the article who may have come away with a different opinion.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
leftwinger, and tjshelton;

Wow, you guys did that just great. I didn't see your lips move. Just what did you think a car tire manufacturer would say?

Quote; What were his conclusions? Was his opinion informed by experimentation of any sort?

Yup, Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy could not have done it better

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Car tires work great on your motorcycle, Everyone should run them, I choose NOT too, You can do Damn well as you please. I will fight to the death for your right to use a car tire on your motorcycle.

That will leave more MC tires for me :!:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
trialsman said:
jjs

Have you ever changed the size or width of the tires on any of your cars?
I know I sure have.

Good taste in vehicles, by the way.
Sure have. But I have not put a tire on a car that was made for handling while leaned over. I don't drive like Joey Chitwood! :lol:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7776448272

Thanks for the compliment on the cars (you just KNEW that I have put aftermarket tires on my cars, didn't you? 8)

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I felt that the article was well written. I should say that I will not be putting a CT on my bike and that the article only helps to reinforce that thought!!!

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
jwen said:
I felt that the article was well written. I should say that I will not be putting a CT on my bike and that the article only helps to reinforce that thought!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does anyone know of a Car Tire manufacturer that makes a 21" tire? I'm thinking about mounting one on the front of my WR250F dirt bike. If the car tires are so great on motorcycles, they might just be the thing in the dirt too. Yeah right. Come on guys--the single reason given is cost. Why do you buy a $18,000--$22,000 motorcycle and then want to save $50 on a wrong tire. Makes about as much sense as using a fram oil fitler. JMHO George

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the cars (you just KNEW that I have put aftermarket tires on my cars, didn't you? 8)[/quote]

Yep

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Texan said:
Come on guys--the single reason given is cost. George
Cost was not a factor for me. these things were, in no particular order:

Better traction in some conditions, like rain, sand (snow if I get caught)

Don't have to worry about a rear flat or blowout

Curiousity

Less wear, especially on long super slab runs, after which my rounded motto tire has a 2-3 inch flat spot in the middle. Kinda like half a CT.

I try to be, other than average, every chance I get.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Clamper said:
leftwinger, and tjshelton;

Wow, you guys did that just great. I didn't see your lips move. Just what did you think a car tire manufacturer would say?

Quote; What were his conclusions? Was his opinion informed by experimentation of any sort?

Yup, Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy could not have done it better
And what other conspiracy theories do you believe in? Is your helmet lined with tin foil to keep the NSA from reading your thoughts?

Seriously. I was just reporting what I read. I do fully expect that tire manufacturers would not endorse the use of their product except for the designed purpose. But I do not read into their lack of such endorsement the nefarious purposes that you evidently do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts