GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read the editorial in the latest issue of Wing World by Nick Hoppner regarding the trouble he and some other riders had with the Roadside rescue service from GWRRA. Seems they tried to use it on two seperate occasions on the way to Wing Ding but after 45 minutes on the first occasion and 6 hours on the second they gave up and resorted to the Gold Book. While the article speaks well of the Gold Book system the Roadside rescue system failed pretty miserably. :oops:

So if you are trying to decide between GWRRA roadside or HRCA roadside assistance this may sway the decision.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I guess our dues don't fund that portion of the program???

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Nope, it funds the deep pockets of GWRRA's muckedy-mucks!
But how do you REALLY feel about it? 8)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
One of our members had an alternator failure on his GL1500 about 45 miles from his house on a Sunday afternoon (failed in Ft. Lauderdale and he lives in South Miami). He called "GWRRA Rescue"....waited 2 hours and called back. They told him "They had no one available to help him". He called me and I took a charged battery to him and that got him home.

The next day emailed Don Brock about the incident and was told that "It would be looked in to"....that was the last he heard about it.

This was about 4 or 5 months ago.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Another option is AAA RV Plus...have used AAA for my cage...but never for the bike

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The only thing I get out of my GWRRA membership is the Gold Book wish that HRC had something similar. I needed roadside assistance in the middle of nowhere in South Georgia call HRC and with in 30 tow truck was there. Just outstanding didn't even try GWRRA after the article in Wing World.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rescue plus

I've used rescue plus 2 times (for the cage), and they've been on the scene within 45 minutes. I do live in a poulated area though. I feel I've gotten my money's worth IMHO.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Zonker said:
The next day emailed Don Brock about the incident and was told that "It would be looked in to"
...and the check is in the mail! :p

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Most of the road side assistance programs I've used have slow response times on occasion. You just never know how busy they are when you call.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Towing services are similar to cell phone services. Both have great coverage in densely populated areas, but coverage may be spotty or non-existent in rural areas. Like cell service, tow service coverage depends on where you are when you need service.

I believe GWRRA and HRCA both have contracts with national towing companies that establish agreements with the individual independent towing service operators. If your bike breaks down in a rural area, there maybe only one towing service available and it probably serves both organizations.

Personally, I have the "free" towing services available from both GWRRA and HRCA. There are some differences. For example, GWRRA will only tow your bike 35 miles, HRCA with tow you to the nearest dealer regardless of mileage.

Len Ellis

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
beastie said:
Italian Stallion said:
Nope, it funds the deep pockets of GWRRA's muckedy-mucks!
I thought Nick Hoppner was one of the "muckedy-mucks."
Don't confuse anyone with facts! Just join in the chorus.

Darn "mother" GWRRA! :evil:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have been with a couple that tried to use AAA when they had a flat tire and by the time they could get all the numbers and paper work figured out we had the tire changed for her. This was in a city of 5000.

Last Oct a couple we were with had to call because of a failed alternator on their GL1500 on the BRP and a tow truck came within the hour and took them to Schroeders in Hendersonville NC.

Two years ago a couple we were on vacation with had a flat tire in Memphis when we got ready to go in the morning GL1800 and Tow Busters was Johnny on the spot.

I think it is like anything else time and circumstances dictate the response time. So I don't think a condemnation of the plan in its entirety is warrented. Unless of course AAA and HRC does not have big shots as in them. Nough said.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I've used AAA RV Plus...both for Auto and my Motorhome...always was quick and within an hour...now they offer Motorcycle also...i have both HRCA and AAA...(never even thought about GWRRA...sorry guys)...hope I never need either one...carry my own supplies...Tire compressor...Tire plug kit...tools...repair stuff...etc...

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
I've used AAA RV Plus ... now they offer Motorcycle also...
Hmmm... that's news to me. We completely dropped AAA Plus a few years ago because they said they wouldn't tow a motorcycle, and that was my main concern.

Question... do you have to have the RV option? or will they now tow bikes with just "AAA" or "AAA Plus" coverage?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just signed up in December of last year, and for motorcycles, you must have AAA Plus RV. This was before I purchased my GoldWing and had HRRCA membership.

Cheap peace of mind, and with AAA, includes any of your vehicles AND any vehicle you are a passenger in.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would never use them myself. I had a flat tire in the greater Minneapolis area, not out in nowhere. I waited two hours, and, when I asked the driver if he knew how to tie it down on his trailer, he handed me two small straps and told me it was my bike, I can do whatever I wanted. I thanked him for his time and sent him on his way! Hired my own rescue the next day!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
With 3 teenagers on the road driving now, I decided to pay the extra $$ for Rescue Plus, and have used it 4 times now. 2 times for a flat tire, and 2 times for locking the keys in the car. The longest they had to wait was 40 minutes, and that was ensuring they were not stranded in a bad spot, like the expressway.
We've had all positive results with Rescue Plus.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
at $40 a year and all the extra bennifits HRCA seems like the best choice

but if u feel lucky use the GWRRA Goldbook and try calling some stranger at home, i bet that could become very interesting

heard of cases where the Goldbook dudes come out and tip the bike over trying to load it on a trailer, tie downs that didn't hold OOPS!, accident on the way to dealer etc, no Goldbok adventures for me, thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts