GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, ignore the first 6:30 of this video. Ignore the occasionally frank language. Instead notice the gear indicator as this tiny, under-powered Ninja 250 zips around a track. He rides the whole track in 3rd gear. Yes, he occasionally bumps it up to 4th or 5th for a few seconds, but you can kinda see by the tach that he's just sorta trying it out. The engine is nowhere near red line. He doesn't have to up shift to avoid redline.

So, if a Ninja rider can make very good lap times on an under powered (compared to a 6 cylinder GL1800) little twin while staying in 3rd gear, then why do so many twisty-riding Wing Jockies row that clutch and shift lever? Vroom-shift. Vroom-shift. Vrooooom-shift. Brake-down-down-down-shift. How annoying! :cool:

More and more, I've been using my tach to tell me when my revs are too LOW, not too high! The chart behind the link shows the little Ninja might perform best between 5,000 and 11,000 rpm. I enjoy riding my Gold Wing between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm.

How about you?

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/large/11_250sport_shootout_kawai.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Shame we couldn't hear the bike rather than the pretty awful commentary.

It was a relatively tight and slow track, a big advantage for a lightweight bike able to carry good corner speed. He was in the novice group, so the other riders were not particularly quick.

The bike was not stock, the top triple clamp is after market and I believe the forks are also upgraded, just observations.

It was hard to see the tach, even in high res on a larger video player, that's why I would have liked to hear the engine.

I rarely lug my Wings engine and I don't need a tach to tell me I might be doing this. If I'm running a spirited ride, with others, I may run a gear lower to get a little more acceleration out of the corners, but I never really find the need to run the Wing's engine hard to make a reasonable pace.

Not sure that really answers your questions….

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Wanna hear unnecessary gear shifting?

Ride with the HD crowd......

Some of those guys will get to 4th gear before the speedo gets to 30 mph.....:doorag:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Before I moved up to my Ducati 996 and then to my Ducati 1098, I did a few years of track days running an Aprilia RS250 challenge cup bike.

Even in the Advanced group, on short circuits, I could run a little quicker than the larger displacement bikes, but give them a couple of hundred yards of straight, they would eat me in pure acceleration. I'd then spend the next two or three corners getting back what I lost in straight line speed in braking and slightly faster corner speed.

Now on this particular bike the rpm range was from 9000-11,200 so I was constantly rowing the gearbox.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
well-ridden

As Chris has indicated, the torque range of the bike and the track/road configuration dictate the correct amount of shifting. A lot of high performance engine/tranny combinations need to be thrashed in a fairly narrow rpm band, but usually if the design is more endurance engineered, they won't need to be operated in such a narrow band. Interestingly, the first time I became interested in a wing, was because of it's wide power band. After a fairly long ride through a metro area with my original riding group, I noticed that the guy behind me (on a 1500) didn't have to shift nearly as often as I was through a long stretch of 35 mph city streets.

Richard

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well as an inexperienced twisty rider, I use only two gears. Try to never let the bike get below 3500 rpm. Use the engine to brake with a lot.

Twisties also many times have a good uphill grade to zip up in the middle of a curve, so second gear due to the weight of the bike comes into play. This is not a little 300 pound bike.

Most of the time it is second and third gears.

Around town, and general riding, until one is over 60 mph fifth gear is never used. I do like to keep the power band up.

One has to watch that fifth gear, around town, it tends to attract unwanted attention. Chuckle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts