GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor
19,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think it is worth having Nitrogen gas in your tires? If so, can you tell me what the benifits are that you noticed?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Here's another perspective on nitrogen; other than does it work.

The preported benefits of nitrogen were extolled at a local motorcycle club meeting and I went in a couple of days later and had the tires on my Vulcan 1500 gassed.

Took it almost straight home that day but noticed some handling issues on a ride the following day. I checked the pressure in the tires and found the front filled to only 26 lbs when it should have been 36 lb. So, back to the shop and got the pressure brought up to where it should have been.

A few days later, my wife who seldom rides, asked about coming along on the pillion. A substantial weight increase means adding more pressure to the tires so back to the shop again. This shop bye the way, is about a 20 minute ride from my place.

Okay, my next solo ride was easier, I just had to let a little pressure out.

Then I wanted to get my bike ready for a long solo highway trip. A friend gave me a couple of bottles of Ride-on tire sealant, extolling it value on a long solo trip much of which would be through the back roads of British Columbia and far away from any motorcycle shops and potential flat repair. Of course, putting it in meant letting the nitrogen out.

Well, that was it, two weeks with the nitrogen and I found it to be a major pain, hardly worth the claimed benefits and the multiple times back and forth to the dealer and waiting to get gas added to the tires.

·
Vendor
19,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow ... I read the other posts, and there seems to be lots of myths about the gas. What I’ve learned from other internet sites is this:

- the air we breathe is already 80% nitrogen. Tire grade nitrogen increases the percentage to above 95% so we don't have to worry if you top off your nitrogen filled tire with "outside" air.

- it carries less moisture, thus no corrosion on rims or corrosion building up between the rim and tire. This is why the aviation industry uses it.

- the nitrogen molecule is larger, decreasing normal pressure loss through the sidewall. Apparently an average tire will loose about 1.5 lbs/month. A nitrogen filled tire take 3 months to loose the same.

- because the pressure loss is less, the contact patch is more consistence giving better braking, handling, and tire wear.

Many cars with low profile tires (20 or 30 series tires) swear by it because it cushions the ride (a larger molecule). Has anyone that runs nitrogen on a GoldWing noticed a difference in the ride?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Another reported benefit of nitrogen is that it doesn't heat up and expand the way regular compressed air does. The result is that your air pressure doesn't rise as the tire warms up, reducing tire temperature and thereby extending tire life.
Nitrogen is all Costco uses when installing tires, so getting the tires filled with nitrogen is easier than many think. It's especially easy for me, since I work at Costco.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Pure marketing who-who.

However, it DOES make your deer alerts work better!

If you want a bigger molecule that will not leak out, use sulfar hexafluoride (SF6), which I've had a basketball inflated with since 1980!

NASCAR uses N2 because it is dry. But, air from a good compressor SHOULD be fairly dry. Oxygen is a diatomic molecule also, so molecule size is fairly close. O2 is most of the other 20% of what we beathe.

However, I do have a little invention that I've been working on to supply only PURE ELECTRONS to your battery while on the charger. Once you have pure organic electrons in your system (they are only circulated in the system and not lost), your spark should be hotter and headlights brighter!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
... so ... this is all just fine ... just one question ... when the tire is mounted on the wheel, how is the original air purged from it ??? Is the tire mounted in a room full of only nitrogen ??? If you were to try to pull a vacuum on the tire to pump out all the air (contaminated with oxygen) wouldn't the tire come off the bead ??? I could see where pumping up a tire with pure nitrogen from atmospheric pressure (about 15 psi.) to 40 psi. would then give you about, maybe 6% oxygen rather than 18% ... but there's always gonna be some oxygen content. How do you fill a tire with 100% nitrogen ???

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
Instead of nitrogen... fill your tires with hellium.. bike will be a lot faster and turn much easier... your shocks won't bottom out.. you will get better fuel mileage.. and your engine oil will stay cleaner :lol:

cosmic

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
GoldWingrGreg said:
Wow ... I read the other posts, and there seems to be lots of myths about the gas. What I’ve learned from other internet sites is this:

- the air we breathe is already 80% nitrogen. Tire grade nitrogen increases the percentage to above 95% so we don't have to worry if you top off your nitrogen filled tire with "outside" air.

- it carries less moisture, thus no corrosion on rims or corrosion building up between the rim and tire. This is why the aviation industry uses it.

- the nitrogen molecule is larger, decreasing normal pressure loss through the sidewall. Apparently an average tire will loose about 1.5 lbs/month. A nitrogen filled tire take 3 months to loose the same.

- because the pressure loss is less, the contact patch is more consistence giving better braking, handling, and tire wear.

Many cars with low profile tires (20 or 30 series tires) swear by it because it cushions the ride (a larger molecule). Has anyone that runs nitrogen on a GoldWing noticed a difference in the ride?
You've posted a lot of myths yourself. The aviation industry uses it because it doesn't expand, not because of corrosion. There would be lots of blown tires at altitude if they didn't. I don't think ground based applications would benefit much from this. I've never seen a tire that lost 1.5 psi/month if mounted correctly with no leaks, and this makes the next point a myth also. Cushions the ride? Pressure is pressure regardless of the gas used.

Use nitrogen if you wish, but don't believe unbelievable statements.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
cosmic_chariot

I learned a long time ago that if you fill the tires with helium, you have to always tie it to the hitching post as it will have a tendency to float away if not tied down.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I put some performance tires on my wifes car earlier this year and took the wheels in for a high speed balance. Part of the deal was free nitrogen (tho I am sure I paid for it). We did this back in July.

I just checked her tires this morning after reading the thread. Exactly the same pressure as in July. That in itself is worth the price of admission to me.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I ordered a tank of Los Angeles air for my tires. All the pollution molecules will instantly plug any leak and the weight will help lower the center of gravity for improved twisty handling.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
Instead of nitrogen... fill your tires with hellium.. bike will be a lot faster and turn much easier... your shocks won't bottom out.. you will get better fuel mileage.. and your engine oil will stay cleaner :lol:

cosmic
And you won't have to change your air filter, you won't even need one!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
A question regarding the corrosion of the rims...

Out of the literally BILLIONS of car, truck, motorcylce tires sold, has anyone ver heard of a tire rim rusting from the inside out?

Use itrogen if you wish..it is all a bunch of hooey!

·
Vendor
19,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NJREF said:
A question regarding the corrosion of the rims...

Out of the literally BILLIONS of car, truck, motorcylce tires sold, has anyone ver heard of a tire rim rusting from the inside out?

Use itrogen if you wish..it is all a bunch of hooey!
I used to be in the car/light-truck tire business and would sometimes dismount a tire and see rust developing inside a steel rim. Sometimes it would be so bad that the wheel would have to be replaced since it would begin rusting on the bead and begin leaking there, too.

·
Vendor
19,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cgent said:
...but there's always gonna be some oxygen content. How do you fill a tire with 100% nitrogen ???
Tire grade Nitrogen is only 95% in a tire so the goal is only that and not 100%. I would guess you'd just let the air out and refill with Nitrogen.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
OK Greg....if the rusting was a real problem I am sure there would be many more documnted cases.

Nonetheless I do not wish to beat a dead horse, you have made up your mind.

Fill your tires with nitrogen and enjoy.

Personally, I use argon in the summer and helium in the winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This post is silly! Running nitrogen is silly. Why go through all that trouble for almost no benifits? It's like putting 5 coats of wax on your wing instead of two, how much more could it possibly beed water with the extra coats? About as much as nitrogen has over good old air!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've seen many tires mounted on steel rims rusted where the bead seats. Probably because the places that air the tires up don't drain the condensate from their air tanks. I've also seen aluminum wheels corroded badly, but maybe that starts on the outside and works its' way into the bead area.

Maybe I'll try the N2 thing, but I'm going to tell the operator to poke a hole into the tire tread first, so as he fills the tire, the contaminated air will escape. As the air/N2 mixture comes out, I'll grab an idiot off the street and have him breathe in the air/N2 mixture. When he passes out, we'll know that it's pure N2, at which time we'll install a rope plug, and I'll be on my way. I'll let you know the results.... :wink:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Oh no not this again. LOL

I have been using Nitrogen in my tires for years. The main benefit is it keeps you from having to add air all the time. I was constantly having to add air to my bike. My buddy owns a high end wheel and tire business in Atlanta. He told me to try it. I did and could not be any happier. I think the benefits of not rotting the tires etc will not apply to us because we change the tires way before they would ever have a chance to rot. I put 41 in the front and 42 in the rear and it stays there for good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts