GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone uses nitrogen in their tires and is it worth the trouble and expense ?

Mike

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I ran nitrogen in my tires the second half of 06. I had no additional cost, the dealer that changed my tries just started offering this service. Tire pressure stays much more consistant between hot and cold and less loss while sitting for a number of days.

·
Registered
393 Posts
1. No
2. Absolutely not worth the trouble

The converse: what benifit(s) could possibly justify making an otherwise simple maintenance function complicated by a factor of 10?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I understand all the details except for 1; What is the cost?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A local dealer will evacuate the air and replace it with the nitrogen for 10 dollars per tire.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Danomite33 said:
1. No
2. Absolutely not worth the trouble

The converse: what benifit(s) could possibly justify making an otherwise simple maintenance function complicated by a factor of 10?
What trouble?? if you have to add pressure you just add normal air from a compressor. Your still only running a 90% Nitrogen mix. Many tire (car) dealerships in this area that have nitrogen will only charge $2 to 2.50 per tire. No charge from my motorcycle dealer if you buy at least one tire from them and they mount the tire.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
A local dealer will evacuate the air and replace it with the nitrogen for 10 dollars per tire

Dam, I gotta quit air conditioning and start fillin tires. :lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nitrogen is typically available as 99%+ free from moisture. Tire pressure doesn't matter what gas is inside the tire. However, from a corrosion standpoint, dry nitrogen is an effective mechanism for minimizing/eliminating corrosion.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
A large percentage of water vapor in your tire will cause issues with pressure when it condenses. Corrosion is more attributed to oxygen than it is water. Either way, dry nitrogen has neither water or oxygen in it which is desirable. But I don't feel the meager benefits are worth while for the street tire.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
PoleCat said:
A large percentage of water vapor in your tire will cause issues with pressure when it condenses. Corrosion is more attributed to oxygen than it is water. Either way, dry nitrogen has neither water or oxygen in it which is desirable. But I don't feel the meager benefits are worth while for the street tire.
At normal temperatures corrosion won't occur when a metal surface is exposed to gaseous oxygen unless moisture is present. If you can eliminate water vapor by not using compressed air, then there can't be any condensation, hence corrosive reactions will be stopped.

I"m not advocating nitrogen at all... just stating the only advantage that I can think of.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Cherry Pie said:
A local dealer will evacuate the air and replace it with the nitrogen for 10 dollars per tire.
I have a bridge for sale, you interested?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Leon Kowalski said:
Keghead said:
However, from a corrosion standpoint, dry nitrogen is an
effective mechanism for minimizing/eliminating corrosion.

When was the last time you had an alloy wheel rot out from the inside?

...can anyone recommend a good crush-washer wax?

LK

As I stated before, I'm not advocating nitrogen. However, I have heard on this board of problems using "Slime" (I think) for fixing leaks... not such a stretch to see how moisture will interact with the chemicals in these types of materials.

A far cheaper and easier way to minimize moisture in a tire is to get air from a compressor with an in-line moisture trap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As I understand it, Nitrogen does not expand as much when it is heated, thereby maintaining a more consistent tire pressure.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Can I still smoke with nitrogen filled tires going around and around and around :?: or will a BOOM occur :?:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Cherry Pie said:
I am curious as to how they "evacuate the air"? The only way to effectively do this is mount the tires in a 100% nitrogen enviornment. Probably not too healthy for the tire technician.
For a racer who can detect 1/2 PSI differences this may be a good thing but I doubt a few PSI is going to be noticable to a street rider.

Pete

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Norton said:
Cherry Pie said:
I am curious as to how they "evacuate the air"? The only way to effectively do this is mount the tires in a 100% nitrogen enviornment. Probably not too healthy for the tire technician.
For a racer who can detect 1/2 PSI differences this may be a good thing but I doubt a few PSI is going to be noticable to a street rider.

Pete
By putting a vacuum pump on the valve stem. Duh!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts