GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suspect this is a snake oil kind of issue but my shop just got some in.

They claim :
Better mileage
Longer wear
Less need to check pressure [big one for me]
Less rust and corrosion.

I let them do the tires as they did it for free and I get to be a "test case".

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Generally nitrogen is a great idea ... BUT

First how do you purge the air that's in the tire when you put it on the wheel ???

... and of course you do know that the air you breath is already 78% nitrogen :lol:

G

·
Dry nitrogen is fine, as long as:

1. The tire is purged of ambient air prior to first fill
2. You always service the tire with nitrogen

Now. if you are at home one day, and service the tire with ambient air, then you no longer have the advantage of the nitrogen.

Why bother? Unless you are willing to pull a dry nitrogen bottle around behind the bike, there is just no reason to go through the trouble.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Do a search on this board....the topic comes up every so often.

For NASCAR it is a good idea, mostly due to the fact that they can get very dry nitrogen....for everyone else it is snake oil as you point out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Station where i live has a machine and if yoiu purchace the service and do have to ad air he will replace for free when you return ! Cooler temps and less air leak !

·
Registered
525 Posts
Fred will sell you a kit which will allow you to fill your tire with 80% nitrogen. Since this might be hazardous if you breathe it, it also contains a bit of oxygen and a bonus of traces of exotic gases like helium and argon. It is not too expensive and works good.

·
Registered
312 Posts
gpick said:
Fred will sell you a kit which will allow you to fill your tire with 80% nitrogen. Since this might be hazardous if you breathe it, it also contains a bit of oxygen and a bonus of traces of exotic gases like helium and argon. It is not too expensive and works good.
And don't forget, I ship it to you FREE, by air. And you can use your own compressor to put it in your tires.

Order today!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First how do you purge the air that's in the tire when you put it on the wheel ???
First they emptied the wheel, then refilled with Nitrogen. Then they turned the wheel so the valve was at the top. Air is lighter than nitrogen so when they emptied it the second time that's supposed to get the last of the air out.
Third fill is what they left in.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
gpick.....good analogy with the bottled water....this nitrogen in your tires is similar!

Let's think about this....if "AIR" (which is a mixture of gasses, mostly nitrogen (75%), oxygen (20%) and others) is "lighter" than nitrogen (how can nitrogen be lighter than nitrogen??) and one does that silly tire fill with the valve on top then.......

If you simply fill your tire with compressed air several times you will let all the "air" out first and be left with essentially only nitrogen in you tire!

BTW...the only real way to ensire a nitrogen environment is to pull a vacuum on the tire (vessel, whatever) then purge with nitrogen (or whatever gas) several times.

But it is CRITICAL you change the crush washer first.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I checked and cannot find motorcycle tire nitrogen anywhere. I have found all other types of nitrogen but nothing that says it is safe for use with motorcycle tires. What do I do :?: :?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link to the detailed discussion.

I suspect [as I said in the 1st post] it is snake oil but since I got it for free , I'll run it and see what happens

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Bob, I think Toyo has been using nitrogen. Why don't you ask what he thinks. Tim

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
NJREF said:
gpick.....good analogy with the bottled water....this nitrogen in your tires is similar!

BTW...the only real way to ensire a nitrogen environment is to pull a vacuum on the tire (vessel, whatever) then purge with nitrogen (or whatever gas) several times.
You've got that right. Where I work, I have two spheres that hold 2 million pounds of liquid vinyl, each. We've had one of them out of service for about 5 years, and I purged it with N2, then refilled it to a pressure of around 70 pounds, and let it sit. It still has the 70# of pressure on it. In another 5 years, when we put it back in service, I will have to vent all that N2 to the atmoshere (what a waste). Maybe I can convince the mgt. to sell that N2 to the 'tire fillers' selling N2? :lol: :lol:

BTW...when I install a new tire on my wheel, I have the valve stem at the bottom, then poke a hole in the tread at the top of the tire. When I fill the tire with N2, all the air is pushed out the top hole in the tread. I let it go for a while, then just plug the hole with the rope style plug, and I'm good to go. :lol:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Phil....how 'bout this one.....

When I change the oil in my Wing I purge the engine with nitrogen. We all know that oil breaks down due to oxidation so.....if there is no oxygen then the oil cn't oxidize and I can run it much longer between oil changes

RIGHT??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
My personal favorite on the bottled water is the expiration date. Hey, you can't be drinking some old water that is past it's prime. How old is water anyway?

For those you who may be ready to argue that you need to throw the expired water away because it gets poisoned by the plastic container, consider an ad like this.

Your tap water may not be pure, so be safe and buy our water which is imported from France, a country known for its lack of bathing in water so you know its good. Our bottled water is bottled at the source in plastic bottles and contain nothing but water, except possibly for poisonous chemicals from our plastic bottles which may leech into our otherwise pure water, so don't let it sit around. Drink it quick and buy some more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts