GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just posted this on a uk Wing forum and thourght it would be cool to have it here as well being recognised as the number one critic of Traxxion ;)

This was only the front upgrade.... and sorry for all the UK styler words!! and grammer

Traxxion upgrade report

Yes folks here it is!

Firstly a little about my wing and me. I have owned an 01 1800 for nearly two years. This bike when purchased had 3.5k miles on it and now has a little over 17K. The tyres are "Stones" and have some 8.5k miles on them (no wobbles). At about 9k I had "the sticking anti dive valve" and the valve as a whole was replaced. Other than that I have had no other problems.

I am a "born again" having passed my test in 78 and only returned to the motorcycleing world some 7 years ago most of my rideing has been by myself or with the wife Maggie as pillion, rideouts are not really my scene and very few people have seen me ride, **** Emmet, Comfy dave and The salesman are but the few I can remember!

On a day to day basis I generally ride an ST1100 Pan European the 45 miles each way daily commute from Keighley to York. I also ride a CB1000 if just nipping into town or small trips out.

PART ONE - THE COMMUTE

Being so used to the ride into and from work there are quite a few places along the road where a direct comparison can be made between the OEM and the Traxxion front suspension.

1 Starting from my house there is quite a steep downward gradient with a bumpy (pot holed) sharp 90 degree right hand corner.

OEM. normally any application of the brakes bike stays level with the ADV and if brakes still applied the pot holes are quite noticeable through the arms.

TRAX. marginal dip/dive in the suspension but the pot holes actually feel less of a shock.

2 Across Bingley moor to Ottley a mixture of "normal" Yorkshire country lanes with most types of turns including both pos and neg camber into and out of the corners, nice straights and sweeping bends. I think only a hairpin corner is missing!

OEM. Seems to handle all of this road for me quite competantly even if used to make good progress.

TRAX. All the minor lumps and bumps seem to be smoothed out like cats eyes and whitelines a little dip is noticed when breaking hard before corners more noticeable in the morning as I am rideing in the dark for the first 10 - 15 mins and the headlamp can be seen to show the dip.

3. From the moor to Ottley there is a section of road where a new pipe of some type was laid into the road for about 2 miles in this direction. the edges are right where you would like to be on a bike.

OEM. The edges of the reworked road allthough not tar banded are uneven and can cause the bike to be pulled or directed from side to side. This effect causes me to try and avoid the edges for a smoother road.

TRAX. I purposely rode along the edges as ide heard the new shocks handel this well and found this to be true maybe not as biblically well as reported else where but much reduced over the OEM.

4. Comming out of Ottley towards Pool Bank from just after the garden center to the pet food distributer are a set of fast sweeping left/right getting tighter as you go set of corners the first big corner has a bump in it right across the whole road.

OEM. Lovely and fast and smooth apart from that one bump, when you hit it the bike twitches with a side to side weave like motion and can be quite un nerveing.

TRAX. same as the OEM but with a slight difference no side to side twitch but you can still feel the bump.

5. Just before the Harrogate bypass roundabout there is a 90 right 90 left over a railway bridge on its approach again the position on the road where you need to be are some cracks which have been repaired and tar banded.

OEM. I stick clear of the crack as it trys to move you left into the gutter putting you in not the best place for the first corner.

TRAX. Purposely rode over the crack even when braking held a straight line and makes the two corners more fun!

6. York ring road.wide road with varying size roundabouts and thier distance rumble strips.

OEM. this road and its rumble strips are worrying due to the rattle of the tupperware it sounds quite violent and can be felt through the handlebars, if brakes applied even worse. The roundabouts are fun but the turn off to earswick is faily easy to grind the underside if a little aggresive.

TRAX. The rumble strips can still be felt but the tupperware seems to make less noise, even when braking hard the rumble is simular. As of yet I havent ground any lower metalwork on the last roundabout (or elsewhere).

7. New Earswick village. This is a main road with 20 and 30 mph limits and soo many speed bumps it is like an off road experiance with out the mud!. two types of speed bumps, one across the whole road with a rise of 3-4 inches and a slope of 2 feet (aprox ive not measured) and the pillow type one each side that cars can pass over.

OEM. Yes you guessed it quite harsh and you darnt touch the brakes while you hit the bump.

TRAX. you still feel the rise and fall but its smoother even when braking

8. York ring road return. A little road defect that is like the joins of an old concrete slab motorway (M11 used to be like it) An accident where a lorry or trailer has left two gouges in the center of the road 1 - 2 inchs wide and 1/2 -1 inch deep apros 60- 70 feet long vereing to the crown of the road.

OEM. This defect tries to make the bike move towards the center of the road following the gouge. The deflection effect is only small and and easyly corrected.

TRAX. I purposly tried to make the effect happen even with a light grip of the bars ... Nothing you know youve ridden over the gouge, you can feel it, but no deflection.

Conclusion so far!

Having now traveled some 500 miles with the new forks I have to admit I like and am getting used to the feel of the front end. The major difference is the DIP I call it dip as it is a small reduction in the fork length. A dive would be more like the dissabled valve type travel. This travel seems a more controlled movement and some how the forks still manage to travel up and down over bumps. I Have been shown how this achieved by Gareth when he rebuilt the forks.

I am even now seriously considering keeping this setup even if I didnt have the "test pilot" discount. There are a few more tests I need to do before the final decision:-

1. She who must be obeyed has to agree it is more comfortable as Maggie has a bad back and cannot sit still for more than 80 to 100 miles.

2. Next week trip to Scotland (Alness) to visit the outlaws 1000 miles with some sight seeing. Up Loch Ness I think the A84, nice road but has some nasty tar banding that nearly had me off last time!

3. Any thing else I can think of.

So please excuse the poor english and spelling and comment.

Nigel Fenton

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Just wait untill you get the rear done also...great combination... :yes:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm it may just happen.......

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Get the rear spring and make sure the air is burped out of the lines and all is working properly. The Mrs. will be a convert after one ride on a new spring.
My wife is not Scottish but will pinch a pence just as tightly and she endorses the product.
Haggis for breakfast with the Wingstock mates here on Sunday, Nigel. Shall we set you plate?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree on the rear. I put that on first and was surprised how much the cornering and acceleraton in turns improved. The lack of jolting in the rear sold SWMBO. Since you like to take your bike apart and put it back together, swap in the rear shock, THEN take SWMBO for a ride. :lol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Owww if only I could make wingstock... dunking Max...

Nigel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts