GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, The Drive researched the speeding tickets given out by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) that were in excess of 120MPH during the year 2018. The top speed was 166 MPH in a 75 MPH zone. Of the 228 performance awards handed out by DPS, the top 50 were all in excess of the maximum speed of the GL1833s (#50 was 134 in a Dodge Charger). Even an F-150 got clocked at 150 MPH.

For your enjoyment - http://tinyurl.com/y32pmszv

jdg

Disclaimer - The author of this post, in no way condones the use of excess speed on public highways, even though he has observed a GL1832 slowly pulling away from a GL1833 at speeds in excess of 112 MPH :cool:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Idiots! But..... Go Mustang.

I always wondered... If you are doing 150mph and pass a speed trap camera, can it react fast enough to get a picture of the license plate? High speed cameras are expensive.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
High speed tickets are expensive too if the camera works.:smile2:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
In my neck of the woods speeds in excess of 100 mph can be labelled "reckless endangerment" with arrest and automatic suspension of license. Vehicle gets towed away.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I never had a vehicle, or the desire to go that fast .....I couldn't even imagine how it would feel............

Last year I was on a race track (Walkins Glenn) in New York , thay allowed outside bikes to ride the track, one time around, just to get the feeling of what a real track feels like.... (we were not aloud to speed/the rules)
BUT I did manage to get to the speed of 100MPH...{this was for a split second ONLY!} man o'man did that feel wonderful/weird, both at the same time........Then I'm back down to reality, 65 mph ....

Ronnie

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hmmmm... Hold my beer! Someone had to say it. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
A few years ago, I was stopped in Wilmer, Texas for doing 130mph on my '04 Goldwing. I nearly laughed when he told me that. I was not doing anything near that. He said; "Yes sir, a fellow officer, 30 miles up the road saw you weaving in and out of traffic, doing 130mph!" When I took my helmet off, he saw I was an old fart, and saw my traveling bag in the tailbox. Officer Obie then realized that this was a case of "Blind Justice!" He told me to slow down, then let me go without so much as a warning.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Those stops and citations mean nothing. They are just the ones they caught or the ones who had enough respect for the law to stop. I'd be interested in knowing the speeds clocked on the ones that got away.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
I think speed is a relative thing. Living and riding in the Ozarks of Arkansas it is difficult to get anywhere close to triple digit speed. When and if you do, there is the next tight curve and you better be ready to do the braking thing. It can get a little stressful. :wink2:

A couple years ago riding in Texas, I found the speed limits on most any road to be 70+ and even at that with very few curves it was very boring. It would be real easy for the speeds to get into the triple digits pretty quickly!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
IT looks like the the cops need to be trained to identify the Honda motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In my neck of the woods speeds in excess of 100 mph can be labelled "reckless endangerment" with arrest and automatic suspension of license. Vehicle gets towed away.
In some states that can be what happens when 18 mph over the posted speed limit.

Reactions: RickLB and JoeHall

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
A couple of things;
Where are all the Deer and other Road Rats that they talk about in Texas. Always thought they slowed people down in Texas. I would not want to hit even an Armadillo - all that washing and cleaning when I got home. :)
And what does Texas Hwy Patrol have to catch up and stop these guys other than their radio.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
A couple of things;
Where are all the Deer and other Road Rats that they talk about in Texas. Always thought they slowed people down in Texas. I would not want to hit even an Armadillo - all that washing and cleaning when I got home. :)
And what does Texas Hwy Patrol have to catch up and stop these guys other than their radio.

Texas is a big state with all kinds of terrain. On an interstate in the middle of the day, you are not likely to hit animals.

Texas DPS mostly uses Chevy Tahoe's and Dodge Chargers. I'm guessing the Chargers can do about 150 or so but they are far more likely to just use the radio or capture the license plate number and show up at your house afterwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coming from a sport bike, I have been over 100mph on both (the sport bike and ‘19 goldwing). I have to say that the gw doesn’t like going that fast. It felt odd to me and I didn’t care for it that much.
That being said, I love riding my gw so much more than I ever did my sport bike.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Texas is a big state with all kinds of terrain. On an interstate in the middle of the day, you are not likely to hit animals.

Texas DPS mostly uses Chevy Tahoe's and Dodge Chargers. I'm guessing the Chargers can do about 150 or so but they are far more likely to just use the radio or capture the license plate number and show up at your house afterwards.

I know what your saying, but a lot of those tickets were given out in the evening and late night. While I was driving 18 wheels across Texas I saw a far amount of animals walking on the edge and across the road, and having spent time in Del Rio, Comanche and Brownwood I can say that I saw a few things walking across in front of me.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Coming from a sport bike, I have been over 100mph on both (the sport bike and ‘19 goldwing). I have to say that the gw doesn’t like going that fast. It felt odd to me and I didn’t care for it that much.
That being said, I love riding my gw so much more than I ever did my sport bike.
I wonder if the 2018 and later are more unstable at high speed than the 2001-2017? I haven't been on a 2018 yet. I think our 2008 feels stable at higher speeds. If I have the windshield up and ear plugs in than 100+ (indicated, probably 90-95 actual) feels about the same as 70 mph and with our modified front end our 2008 feels very stable.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Those stops and citations mean nothing. They are just the ones they caught or the ones who had enough respect for the law to stop. I'd be interested in knowing the speeds clocked on the ones that got away.
....Or the ones that crashed and died or killed someone else?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts