GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vickie and I took our wings to Hilton Head Island (SC) for the weekend... Kinda Ritzy, but yet nice........ No major developements.... bill boards etc. We decided Saturday Morning that we would ride down to the South Side of the Island. After all that is where all the shops, restaraunts and other action is. They had some silly Wackenhut Guard on the road. They wouldnt let us in on the bike. He told me that we must have over two wheels to enter the tourist area. :evil: Went back and got the Trike (thatll teach em) No luck, he fired back with,,,,,,,,,,, its gotta be an automobile. The bikes make too much noise. I ran up the RPMs a little and said Is that so Loud??? Again, no luck. Think Twice about Hilton Head, especially on your wing.............

·
Registered
645 Posts
I Agree

DISCRIMINATION!
this is not right
as said before take the car with headers and load pipes
see what happens

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amen!! Ive got my Dodge (360CI V8 ) 4" FlowMasters.......... I think I just might head back down he he he....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
386 Posts
ok, that's it, it's time to organize. Let's all get together and ride in as a group. They can't stop a couple hundred of us can they? :lol: :lol:

All we need is someone to distract him, then we can sneak in behind his back, the wing is so quiet they'll never hear us! :wink:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discrimination? Yes, and you can expect more of it if motorcyclists in general don't begin doing something about riders who feel they just have to run straight pipes. The AMA Loud Pipes Lose Rights campaign is right on target. I find myself resenting the noise of a loud v-twin or sportbike. This afternoon I was in a wilderness hiking area in a National Forest . As we were walking back to the parking lot some kind genius on a v-twin shared all the wonderful noise of his motorcycle with everyone in the park. My first thought was, gee they shouldn't let those things in here. And I ride, think how people that don't like motorcycles feel.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yep, sounds like it's time to organize a wing ride to there....with press coverage so it will hurt their image and take away tourist $$$$. Besides, should be fun :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
"loud pipes hurt rights" is not a joke

This is not just a Hilton Head thing.... It is happening all over.

The phrase 'loud pipes hurt rights' isn't a joke. This has been happening for years.

Complain to Hilton Head if you want, but also let your friends with straight pipes know what they're doing to us as a group....

-donmac

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unless things have changed , 17 Mile drive in the Carmel ,Ca area also won't allow bikes......Pure BS.... Straight pipes etc. have gotta go..
Ron
Spokane :evil:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
This is BS....

yet I find it funny that the rent a cop said "no 2 wheeled vehicles" and you guys went back on the trike... 8)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I guess one could check where the rules are that state no motorcycles are allowed. If it has to have more than two or three wheels, does that mean no bicycles? It can do it, not allowing moorcycles, if the area is private and takes no Federal Funds to maintain their roads. I woiuld write a letter to the chamber of commerce to check up on this ruling. But you are correct, people with loud pipes are making motorcycles not welcomed in more and more places.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No Bikes!!!!

If this is a public road the "Rent-a-Cop" would have a hard time stopping me. Now a real LEO could convince me to turn around but not some Wackenhut guard.
Jerry

·
Registered
613 Posts
No Bikes Allowed...

Same thing applies at Kiawah Island outside of Charleston, SC. My brother owned a rental property there a while back. One of his daughters got married and one of my other brothers was going to attend the wedding on his GL1500. He was told if he was going to ride, don't come. They would not let him on the island. He drove....but was not happy about it.

G

·
Same thing in MD on Sugarloaf Mountain. Used to ride up there on the bike and then go hiking. Got up there a couple of years ago and it was posted that no bikes were along. Nature lovers got tired of sharing the great outdoors with straight pipe V-twins. Of course, it was still apparently okay to be a teenager with a 5 zillion watt stereo blaring out some rap crap so loud that the teeth were rattling in their sockets a quarter mile away.

I used to own a HD and have had two other twins all with stock exhaust. This same argue used to come up on those boards. Folks swore they had the right blow out everyone's ear drums and then get PO'd when they're told they can't go somewhere. Just remember one thing...the non-riding public doesn't see a HD, sport bike, Goldwing, etc. They see a motorcycle period. We are all globbed into one category. To a certain extent, that's even correct. Soon enough the laws against straight pipes will be enforced and then maybe we can get back in to places. The pipes most of these folks are running are illegal but the cops don't feel the need to enforce those laws until enough folks complain. Folks are complaining now so maybe the crack down is finally coming.

Here's another one for you. At Baltimore's Inner Harbor I was refused parking priviledges at a pay as you park lot. The rent-a-cop said bikes are too easy to steal so the owner just banned them from the lot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It would seem to me that LEO's should not discriminate against bikes, but the noise made by all vehicles. How small minded an attitude this is. You are all right. How about vehicles with loud exhaust? Why are these areas of discrimination reluctant to use decibel meters? This would really frost my twinkie if I was to ride into this area on one of the quietest bikes made today. If sound is an issue with these communities then the local government should post sound warning signs and then enforce the issue.
What is the proper approach to these local governments? Does anyone know? :x

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The AMA fights and often wins these types of Discrimination situations. My guess on whether you have a case or not depends on if it is private property. The actions of a foolish few hurt all of us. Something should be done to keep excessively loud bikes off the road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts