GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the air filter and wonder if I left something unhooked from the front brake lever. It will still shut off the cruise control but no brake lights. The rear brake pedal is good with brake lights. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a front brake control switch there by your front brake lever. Take out a couple of screws and take the old one out and pllug in the new one. I got mine for a few dollars at the Honda shop

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are two switches in one housing at the front brake handle. One is for the cruise the other is for the brake lights. The switch can sometimes be cleaned by spraying contact cleaner in the edge of the buttons on the switch but if it doesn't the switch is not costly. Look on the back end of the brake lever towards the center of the bike and you will see them. The brake light comes on when the lever is not in contact with the switch.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Sounds like the brake lite switch. Just replaced mine. Just remove the hand brake handle then one screw holds the switch in place. There are 4 wires that plug into it. 2 have small connectors and 2 have larger connectors. I bought mine at the local Honda shop for about $14.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just bought a used Wing a couple of weeks ago with the same problem. I searched this forum and started reading posts about spraying and/or replacing the switch (there are lots of them). I sprayed the switch with WD40 and worked it for a while with no luck, still no brake light. So I decided to get a new switch. I checked online, sure enough, you can buy one for $12-$14 depending where you look. I wanted one sooner than that because I plan to take a trip real soon, so I go to the Honda shop in Bakersfield and they want $32 something for the switch, and they would have to order it, said no thanks, I'll order it online myself. I like to do things local if it's reasonable, but 400% markup??

The next day the switch started working and still is. I have a new one coming but won't get it before the trip...hope it keeps working...

Get a new switch...try spraying the old one meantime. Oh there is a little hole (water drain) in the bottom of the switch...

·
Registered
342 Posts
This switch is widely used in Honda bikes and seems to have a almost 100% failure rate over about seven years time. I replaced mine for $9.00 from my local dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Replace the switch.
9 bucks in the USA and of course about 24 bucks in Canada
Thank you Honda Canada
:wrong:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good info. Not sure if my switch was dirty or just had loose wire terminals. Removed the one mounting screw, cleaned the switch contacts through the open hole in the bottom, tightened the spade connectors and it works like new.:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts