GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I messed something up. I was installing or trying to install a flasher unit on my spoiler LED brake light. The unit I got from Amazon required me to cut the brake light positive wire, then wire the flasher in series to the wire. All hooked up and no brake lights. I found the fuse blown, replaced it removed the flasher unit, wired it as it was originally, now no brake lights. Fuse is good. No brake lights with either front or rear handle/pedal. I did install a headlight modulator earlier, so is there anything I could have disrupted in the LH fairing pocket? Pretty tight in there especially with fat hands. 2002 GL1800 base. Thanks in advance, Kim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, I am thinking I wired the flasher into the ground wire vice hot wire. the green /gray dots turns into black. This is the wire I thought was the positive. I actually checked with voltmeter prior. Anyway can someone please confirm the green/red wire is the positive brake light wire? I am only messing with the spoiler led. I just went and checked for voltage at the spoiler and no voltage, I have a open between the fuse and lights.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Hello All,
I messed something up. I was installing or trying to install a flasher unit on my spoiler LED brake light. The unit I got from Amazon required me to cut the brake light positive wire, then wire the flasher in series to the wire. All hooked up and no brake lights. I found the fuse blown, replaced it removed the flasher unit, wired it as it was originally, now no brake lights. Fuse is good. No brake lights with either front or rear handle/pedal. I did install a headlight modulator earlier, so is there anything I could have disrupted in the LH fairing pocket? Pretty tight in there especially with fat hands. 2002 GL1800 base. Thanks in advance, Kim
Do the turn signals still work?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Update, I am thinking I wired the flasher into the ground wire vice hot wire. the green /gray dots turns into black. This is the wire I thought was the positive. I actually checked with voltmeter prior. Anyway can someone please confirm the green/red wire is the positive brake light wire? I am only messing with the spoiler led. I just went and checked for voltage at the spoiler and no voltage, I have a open between the fuse and lights.
The green/red wire is the positive wire for the brake lights, but there’s two of them. One runs through a 14 pin connector under the seat and it’s for the lower main brake lights. There’s another one in a 12 pin connector under the seat that is the one you want. It only runs to the spoiler light connector in the trunk lid. Don’t pay any attention to the dots on the wires. The solid green wires are ground on this bike, dots or not, and the other wires will be a solid color with a defined smaller stripe for its secondary color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techdude,
Thanks for replying, you are the best!!! I just went out and checked if the turn signals works and they did not, but then I checked the fuse. I was missing a spare 15 amp fuse so I took out the horn/ts fuse to install in the brake lights, that's when I had no brake lights. So I just removed the low beam 15 amp fuse and installed it in the horn/ts spot, and now all is good. So I guess the horn/ts fuse and brake light fuse both must be good for the brake lights to work. Odd but now I know. I will try again tomorrow to wire flasher. should I remove the seat and do it at the 12 pin connector or continue under the trunk lid? Thanks so much!!!! Kim

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Techdude,
Thanks for replying, you are the best!!! I just went out and checked if the turn signals works and they did not, but then I checked the fuse. I was missing a spare 15 amp fuse so I took out the horn/ts fuse to install in the brake lights, that's when I had no brake lights. So I just removed the low beam 15 amp fuse and installed it in the horn/ts spot, and now all is good. So I guess the horn/ts fuse and brake light fuse both must be good for the brake lights to work. Odd but now I know. I will try again tomorrow to wire flasher. should I remove the seat and do it at the 12 pin connector or continue under the trunk lid? Thanks so much!!!! Kim
Yep, the brake lights will only work if the lever and pedal switches have power coming to them to energize the brake light relay. They get that power from the horn/turn relay and it’s fuse. I would wire the flasher in under the seat. Let me know if you can’t find the 12 pin connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts