GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake lights are not working. I cannot tell if they are stuck on or not. Will the warranty take care of this?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Same results with both foot and hand brake? If so - probably just a connection. If not - it may be the switch in whichever isn't working. So long as you are not over time on your warranty - then it should be covered. Take it in.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Some questions.

You say you cannot tell if they are stuck on or not? What does that mean? You don't know if they turn on at all?

Have you tried each brake separately to know if it is just a switch on either the front or rear? The front switch is known for dying.

I like to pull up in front of a store window so I can easily see my lights in the reflection to test. You can also just put a glove over your front brake lever to hold it down.

Have you searched the forum yet? When mine stopped working two weeks ago I searched and found LOTS of posts about brake lights not working.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say I cannot tell if they are on due to then fact I do not know if all bulbs are running lights and brake lights or dual bulbs. All bulbs are on (bags and trunks). I have tried the hand and foot seperately, same results.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Pull out the tail light fuse. If the brake lights are stuck on, you will still see them with the key on. If they are stuck on, unplug the switch on the front brake lever. Pay attention to where the wires are before pulling them loose. If that doesn't kill the brake lights, then you will have to pull the wires loose from the rear brake pedal switch, it's behind the right chrome engine side cover to the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took my GW to the local Honda Dealer (will remain nameless until I pick it up). Service Rep. Asked several interesting questions, and wanted to know who installed the LEDs on the Bags and Trunk, I informed him they were dealer installed. We did determine that the brake lights do not work at all. I got the feeling the dealer was looking for an "out" and is looking to blame the install of the LEDs incorrectly. Anyway still no official word. I will keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer call me to tell me that a "Relay" is out on the Wind thus the brake lights do not work. Turns out to be a $4.00 part. Bike out till next week. Covered under warranty.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Hey, ask them if they can stick the high beam relay in it's place and let you ride it until the relay comes in.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hey, ask them if they can stick the high beam relay in it's place and let you ride it until the relay comes in.
I'd be surprised if they let him do that, but I'd sure ask. I'm pretty sure if you got in an accident, and the person said "I DIDN'T SEE YOU" you'd have a pretty good lawsuit, and lawyers would eat them for lunch. I'd ask them to take one off of a bike in the showroom though. That's probably more likely to happen. Good luck, and glad you found them not working before the person behind you didn't see you stopping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts