GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 GL1800 has been sitting for about three weeks.
Started up fine, but no clutch! Pulling the clutch lever back several times, seems like no resistance. Fluid level is full.
The clutch is always in gear, cannot activate the clutch. Rode it before we lift on a two week trip in the cage, all was fine the last time I rode.
Any ideas?
Is this an easy fix, or a major problem?

2nd question...where is the clutch slave cylinder located? Can't tell by fotos in manual.
Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
Possibly needs a good flushing out... Or possibly the master cylinder needs a rebuild... The slave is up front behind the engine front cover...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I bled the clutch several times at the Banjo Bolt and got a little clutch, but not full. With the lever pulled all the way in it still drags. The reservoir was full to begin with, and the DOT4 fluid is maybe 25k miles old. Approximately 80,000 on the bike, I suspect the slave cylinder so I guess I will drain down the clutch and rebuild that, then replace fluid(with new) and bleed it down.
Women and Motorcycles = Maintenance and Maintenance! LOL!'

Why can't everything be like the Maintenance free Battery?
Maintenance free motorcycles will be on the market, long before maintenance free spouces.
One can at least dream.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would rebuild the master cylinder first

with the cover off the resivoir, pull the clutch lever in , if there is turbulance in the resivoir when you pull the clutch in , master cylinder is bad

if the slave cylinder is bad, the master cylinder would be empty. Slave cylinders go bad by leaking

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks guys,
I bled the clutch several times at the Banjo Bolt and got a little clutch, but not full. With the lever pulled all the way in it still drags. The reservoir was full to begin with, and the DOT4 fluid is maybe 25k miles old. Approximately 80,000 on the bike, I suspect the slave cylinder so I guess I will drain down the clutch and rebuild that, then replace fluid(with new) and bleed it down.
Women and Motorcycles = Maintenance and Maintenance! LOL!'

Why can't everything be like the Maintenance free Battery?
Maintenance free motorcycles will be on the market, long before maintenance free spouces.
One can at least dream.
Brave Man you are! Clearly your wife does not read the board..LOL

Sound like air in the system,and seeing you have flushed the system in the past.Rubber breakdown isn't likely.

I'd bleed out the slave now and the lever pressure should return to normal.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
So long as there is no air in the system, your master cyclinder is bad. It is really important to flush the brake and clutch system every 12k as required by Honda or the likelyhood of what you are experiancing will sky rockett.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts