GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a comparison article or video about the ST1300 and the sister bike with the retuned ST engine and ergoes, the CTX1300---but NOOOOO! Don't other inquiring minds want to know about both the lighter weight Honda touring bikes? Am I the only one curious about comfort and torque versus handling and speed? I feel so out of sync with the rest of the Web. :oops:

·
Love The DCT
11,890 Posts
I've been looking for a comparison article or video about the ST1300 and the sister bike with the retuned ST engine and ergoes, the CTX1300---but NOOOOO! Don't other inquiring minds want to know about both the lighter weight Honda touring bikes? Am I the only one curious about comfort and torque versus handling and speed? I feel so out of sync with the rest of the Web. :oops:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/18179/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Honda-CTX1300-First-Ride.aspx
:doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
You are not the only one. I think that bike has a great future. Of course not on this board, though. Knightrider purchased one and probably sooner or later he will do a "real world" review.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
You might not ever see a comparo test between the old ST1300 and the new CTX1300, simply because, I think, that the ST1300 has been replaced by the CTX1300.

Although the CTX1300 will not suit my riding style, since the lower foot pegs were placed in that manner for comfort versus ground clearance. Didn't Honda expect their riders to make turns at a fast pace?

The video on that web site posted by a previous member shows a rider turning the CTX around a curve, and if you listen carefully, you'd hear the foot pegs grind. With the protruding exhaust pipes from the V4 engine, where would you mount your highway pegs? 2 of the same gripes the commentator spoke about. Had Honda positioned the V4 like the old Magna or Sabre V65, front to back, then you wouldn't worry about damaging the engine's heads in an unwanted get-off. Nope, not for me!

Instead, I would rather see a comparo between the CTX1300 and the Yamaha FJR1300ES. Now, I strongly believe that the FJR is miles ahead (pun intended) than the CTX and a comparo would most likely prove that.

The FJR1300ES would most likely be the next bike that replaces my dated GL1800 platform.

Good day to you, sir.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It seems Honda has, at least temporarily, chosen not to produce the ST1300. One not being available for this new model year. Whether it will ever return is anyone's guess.

More importantly as regards to compare tests/reviews; you may never find one between the ST1300 vs CTX1300 or the other sport tourers like the connie or fjr. Not really the same category of bikes. Seems to me the CTX is more in the bagger/cruiser category and not a sport tourer as most define them. Just because it has a motor with a similar configuration as the ST1300 does not place it in that category.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Agree with XCOP that the two bikes are not comparable. The ST1300 is a sport tourer while the CTX1300 is a cruiser style. Ne'r the twain shall meet.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
It seems Honda has, at least temporarily, chosen not to produce the ST1300. One not being available for this new model year. Whether it will ever return is anyone's guess.

More importantly as regards to compare tests/reviews; you may never find one between the ST1300 vs CTX1300 or the other sport tourers like the connie or fjr. Not really the same category of bikes. Seems to me the CTX is more in the bagger/cruiser category and not a sport tourer as most define them. Just because it has a motor with a similar configuration as the ST1300 does not place it in that category.
Honda Canada has the 2014 ST1300A if you want to import one.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/touring/st1300a

·
Love The DCT
11,890 Posts
What's the HP & TQ numbers on this thing?
June 2014 issue of Rider; 75.6 hp at 5900 rpm, 76.3 lb/ft torque at 4000 rpm. Red line is 7500 rpm. For comparison, Rider had the ST1300 peak hp at 111 hp and 86 lb/ft of torque, red line at 9000 rpm. The CTX 1300 has been neutered a bit. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
June 2014 issue of Rider; 75.6 hp at 5900 rpm, 76.3 lb/ft torque at 4000 rpm. Red line is 7500 rpm. For comparison, Rider had the ST1300 peak hp at 111 hp and 86 lb/ft of torque, red line at 9000 rpm. The the CTX 1300 has been neutered a bit. :doorag:
Max torque comes in much earlier and is maintained longer for more relaxed cruising...........

CTX1300

ST1300

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
If the ST1300 is dropped by Honda... I wonder what they are building for law enforcement to use? I know some Goldwings have been equiped for LEO use.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Honda always has been soft on the marketing of the ST series bikes in the USA. They seem to prefer to sell the model in Europe. They have been known not to offer it in the USA for a year or two period. They would also batch produce them in one big lot then release them to the US market in limited numbers.

Looking at the line-up on Honda's site, the ST1300 for 2012 is listed at $18,230 with ABS standard. The 2014 F6B is $19,999 with audio but no ABS available. Perhaps Honda wants people to buy the F6B over the ST1300.

I am growing increasingly irked at Honda for not making ABS standard on the GoldWing. No excuse for it other than profit.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I have had the ST1300 and now the CTX1300. you are right no comparison,, the CTX1300 wins hands down on drivability and LD comfort.. even the stock seat,, honda finally gor one right. I spent so much money trying to transform the 2009 st1300 into a Useable cross country ride that I finally conceded and went back to the GW. I had a machinist maje a set of mounting risers to get me out of the cafe racer lean on the bars,, and a custom made set of shifters and foot pegs to get my knees unbent. Loved the perfomance but i am not a 200 mile rider and done for the day.. I almost sold that thing when I rode it down to mexico. and buy an airline ticket home..

2000 miles on the CTX already replaced the rear 200/50/17 with the drive guard 201/50/17 (awesome) have installed a set of ROX risers to bring the already good angle bars back an additional 2 inches. installed the honda rack and tail trunk the other night, and working on installing an murphs kit cruise control now Thats taking a bit longer that planned but I will succeed

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have had the ST1300 and now the CTX1300. you are right no comparison,, the CTX1300 wins hands down on drivability and LD comfort.. even the stock seat,, honda finally gor one right. I spent so much money trying to transform the 2009 st1300 into a Useable cross country ride that I finally conceded and went back to the GW. I had a machinist maje a set of mounting risers to get me out of the cafe racer lean on the bars,, and a custom made set of shifters and foot pegs to get my knees unbent. Loved the perfomance but i am not a 200 mile rider and done for the day.. I almost sold that thing when I rode it down to mexico. and buy an airline ticket home..

2000 miles on the CTX already replaced the rear 200/50/17 with the drive guard 201/50/17 (awesome) have installed a set of ROX risers to bring the already good angle bars back an additional 2 inches. installed the honda rack and tail trunk the other night, and working on installing an murphs kit cruise control now Thats taking a bit longer that planned but I will succeed
Plus what Tonto sez. My 2012 sure has been setting a lot lately:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Honda always has been soft on the marketing of the ST series bikes in the USA. They seem to prefer to sell the model in Europe. They have been known not to offer it in the USA for a year or two period. They would also batch produce them in one big lot then release them to the US market in limited numbers.

Looking at the line-up on Honda's site, the ST1300 for 2012 is listed at $18,230 with ABS standard. The 2014 F6B is $19,999 with audio but no ABS available. Perhaps Honda wants people to buy the F6B over the ST1300.

I am growing increasingly irked at Honda for not making ABS standard on the GoldWing. No excuse for it other than profit.

The ST1300 was designed for the European market. It is still sold in Europe. The FJR1300 is the same way. Look how long the FJR was sold in Europe until Yamaha finally brought it to the US. They are both referred to as Pan European models. The Concours is a European design as well.

Sport Touring bikes just don't sell very well in the US.

I would like to see a comparison between the CTX1300 as well, but you can't do a shootout between them. They are too different. A comparison would be simply to highlight the different traits of the bikes.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus what Tonto sez. My 2012 sure has been setting a lot lately:eek:4::eek:4:
Are you saying you have a CTX1300 and enjoy it more than your Wing? I'm not doubting, just wondering.

I'm also thinking of one day getting a bike for my wife and think she would enjoy the CTX, maybe even the CTX700 with the automatic transmission.

Attachments

·
Banned
146 Posts
That's exactly what I am saying.. this ctx proves Honda can get the seat better from the factory..and ergonomics for those who want to be able to do back to back 18 hour days..

IT is NOT perfect by any stretch of the imagination but my modification list is one heck of a lot shorter..

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Are you saying you have a CTX1300 and enjoy it more than your Wing? I'm not doubting, just wondering.

I'm also thinking of one day getting a bike for my wife and think she would enjoy the CTX, maybe even the CTX700 with the automatic transmission.
Looks that way the wing has been setting most of the time sence I got the CTX1300:lol::lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts