GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask all you veteran Wingers a question about my intercom. I have a 2001 just had J&M headsets installed by J&M into my helmets. I have no sidetone in the drivers helmet, the wife can't hear me in her helmet but I can hear her. I can hear the radio ipod and cb great but no intercom. I swapped helmets and lower cords and everything works from the passenger position so problem seems to be isolated to the cord coming out of the fairing or what ever it hooks to? Any one had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I don't know what a sidetone is, but I will take a guess that you are saying the rider's microphone isn't working.

Based on the troubleshooting you have already done, there aren't many things that can cause this. It is either a bad connection at the headset cable plug under the left pocket, or a bad connection at the connectors leading into the radio.

The radio itself cannot cause this problem.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Larry, "sidetone" is the telephone company term for the small amount of your own voice you hear in your own headphones when you speak into your microphone. Most people don't even realize its there until it's missing. Your diagnosis of the OPs problem sounds correct.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sidetone?

Maybe he needs re-filled with Ringer Fluid?

I've got a spare bucket of Dial Tone if anyone needs it...

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Your gremlin probably resides in the pigtail that the headset plugs into and then hooks to the wiring harness under the right pocket. This is a known weak spot. (of course check the connections first, but odds are the pigtail itself is a known weak spot and is probably defective.)

Hope you find it. You might want to get one of those little bells as they will chase gremlins away...

·
Registered
891 Posts
You might try your helmet / headset in the passenger connector and see if you have sidetone. You should be able to narrow the problem down to:
1) The headset itself, 2) the helmet to motorcycle cable, 3) The stuff inside the motorcycle.
Ron Fuller

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

The small connector between the upper and lower headset cords has been a perennial problem. It is exceptionally easy to mash down one or more of those tiny pins if you aren't super careful when you plug the two cords together.

You might want to check and make sure that this hasn't happened to your headset cord.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I wanted to ask all you veteran Wingers a question about my intercom. I have a 2001 just had J&M headsets installed by J&M into my helmets. I have no sidetone in the drivers helmet, the wife can't hear me in her helmet but I can hear her. I can hear the radio ipod and cb great but no intercom. I swapped helmets and lower cords and everything works from the passenger position so problem seems to be isolated to the cord coming out of the fairing or what ever it hooks to? Any one had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Guys... you might want to read the post before you answer it... in isolating the problem he has already eliminated the helmets and cords...

I swapped helmets and lower cords and everything works from the passenger position so problem seems to be isolated to the cord coming out of the fairing or what ever it hooks to?

sorry, but this happens a lot around here where we just look at the problem and spout an answer before reading the post. This confuses folks and only serves to help them miss the answer that will help.:wrong:

Again, start with the pigtail... One way to troubleshoot it is to remove the seat and the front left pocket and switch the front pigtail with the back one. They have the same connector. If the problem follows the pigtail, replace it. (or if you are really handy, find a way to repair it) If no change, you need to check the connections on the back of the radio or continuity from the radio to the pigtail on the passenger pigtail connector. This will require removal of the shelter. If you have not yet done this level of surgery, Fred's how-to video's are invaluable! You will be looking for a white wire which carries the signal from the mic through the pigtail, through the harness to the radio, I believe. if there is continuity, the problem will be in the radio head... Sierra electronics is the answer...

feel free to PM if you have trouble finding it, or have further questions...

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Here's a look. I put a 3.5mm jack on it for headphones but this is what they look like.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Larry, "sidetone" is the telephone company term for the small amount of your own voice you hear in your own headphones when you speak into your microphone. Most people don't even realize its there until it's missing. Your diagnosis of the OPs problem sounds correct.
LOL, Thanks. I do know that the feedback audio is there. But in all my years in audio, I have never heard it referred to as a sidetone before. But then again, I never worked for the phone company before. :lol: Learn something new every day.

FWIW, our intercom does not have a tapped sidetone like a telephone does. Both the rider and passenger hear the exact same audio signal from the exact same line in the radio, at the same volume level. The mike output is sent to the radio to be amplified, and is sent back out to both sets of headsets. That is why I said earlier that if you have a working mike in either one of the headsets, the problem is not in the radio.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Before taking anything apart look closely at the connector the lower cord plugs into.....they do have a habit of getting dirty if the rain cover is not on tight when the cord is not in use. A good squirt with a plastic safe contact cleaner and working the cord in and out of the connector might just solve your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL, Thanks. I do know that the feedback audio is there. But in all my years in audio, I have never heard it referred to as a sidetone before. But then again, I never worked for the phone company before. :lol: Learn something new every day.

FWIW, our intercom does not have a tapped sidetone like a telephone does. Both the rider and passenger hear the exact same audio signal from the exact same line in the radio, at the same volume level. The mike output is sent to the radio to be amplified, and is sent back out to both sets of headsets. That is why I said earlier that if you have a working mike in either one of the headsets, the problem is not in the radio.
Worked aircraft communication and navigation systems for the last 33 years. Whether interphone or radio transmission always referred to as sidetone.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts