GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't wait any longer, baby needed some new shoes. Stretched 13,500 miles out of my last pair of Elite 3s. The local shop had some Metzelers for the same price.

So far they feel good. A little loose at first, but that disappeared after the first 50 miles, just needed a little scrubbing I guess.

Looking forward to some good performance hopefully.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
No E3s around, went with Metzelers
Thats like saying, 'No Cod Liver oil, went with Henrys Private Reserve'....... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IR Harry said:
No E3s around, went with Metzelers
Thats like saying, 'No Cod Liver oil, went with Henrys Private Reserve'....... :lol: :lol:
Well Harry, I really liked my last two pairs of E3s. thought they were a much better tire than the D250s, especially in the rain, plus they lasted quite a bit longer.

Never had the Metzelers before on both wheels, although I had one on the back once.

Hope you're right!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
going with Avons, will order from Hal, mount em over the winter, I hear Avons are sticky & good in wet weather :?:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The Metzelers I had on when you came to visit only lasted 6200 miles; they handle so well that I rode too fast and wore them out.
The front one wasn't bad so I only replaced the rear with an E3...
You'll like them; superior tire.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wish you luck with your Metzlers'.

Mine only lasted 700 miles before they developed a dangerous wobble The wobble was between 25 and 50 mph and would almost throw you off the bike. Hands off wasn't an option, you hung on for dear life.

You're probably already past 700 miles.

It seems that the "good" ones are really good and the "bad" ones are really bad.

Give Metzler a call and tell them how well you like their tires, that is if you can get through.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
HEY mine went farther than yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2500miles then lumped up on the rear !!! GOOD LUCK....chuck

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have close to 4K on a set of Metz now and so far they looks like new. Running 38 front 41 rear. No wobble, growl or delam.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My set of Metz's gave me more than 18K miles (30K km), but my riding isn't very aggressive. Mostly flat riding around here. When I replaced them, the rear was completely worn out. For the last 6K miles I was getting lots of howl from cupping and some wobble.

·
Registered
270 Posts
PoleCat said:
I have close to 4K on a set of Metz now and so far they looks like new. Running 38 front 41 rear. No wobble, growl or delam.
That might have been part of my problem. I was running 41 front and 42 rear, just like the dealer told me.

Replaced them with E3's and have 13,000 wobble free miles with no sign of any significant wear.

I guess that's why they make different color wings.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nuthin wrong with Metz's dude. Theyz all round... :yes1:

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had Metzelers for about three months now with over 7500 miles on them. I love them. Great ride, great grip, stick like glue in the rain. I feel left out though, because I have no wobble, no lumps, and no cupping.

I took my Dunlops off at 7500 and there was no life left in them. They howled, and were so badly cupped you could feel it all the time. With 7500+, the Metzelers look like they did when I bought them!

The only fault I can find is they sing a little in the curves, but nowhere as bad as the Dunlops.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with Metzeler’s once. I bought the first set which was replaced after a few thousand miles because they both cracked on the sides. That was obviously a bad batch of rubber and I don’t hold that against them. They replaced them free. That set and the next set (which I didn’t pay for either) all cupped so badly you’d feel the bike shake from side to side. I’ve never had any other brand of tire ever do that. I’ve gotten minor cupping on fronts with other brands before but never any cupping on rear tires. I had lots of rubber left but I had to replace them at around 9000 miles because of the cupping. I also had to add air at least twice a week to all the Metzeler’s. I’m running E3’s now. No cupping front or rear and I only need to add air every 3 or 4 weeks. I just replaced the rear tire with another E3 and I’m waiting for a front E3 to become available. You couldn’t pay me to run Metzeler’s again. I parked my wing a few weeks while waiting for a new rear E3 rather then run a Metzeler and I normally ride everyday year round.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Could someone please tell me how so many different riders, on basically the same bike, could have great luck with one brand of tire and really bad luck with another.

My first two sets of rubber were Bridgestones with no wobble and great mileage.

I couldn't get Bridgestones and put on a set of Metzlers.

At 700 miles terrible wobble with the Metzlers.

Replaced them with E3's and no more wobble and so far little obvious wear at 13,000 miles.

I'd just like to know why?

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
ytownmac said:
Could someone please tell me how so many different riders, on basically the same bike, could have great luck with one brand of tire and really bad luck with another.

At 700 miles terrible wobble with the Metzlers.

I'd just like to know why?
Metzelers are a crap shoot. You have a great chance of getting bad tires from my experience and from what I see on the boards. If they don't wobble they seem to have trouble with broken belts on the rears at 8-10,000 miles. I wouldn't try another set for free.

The only negative I hear about the Stones is guys can't get 100,000 miles out of them. LOL....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had Metz. put on my wing and had a low speed wobble. Got to looking at the tires and found that they put a VTX tire on for the front and a GL-1800 for the rear. Took it back and had them put a GL-1800 tire on the front. Wobble was gone. When I took it back to have the front changed to a GL-1800 tire the salesman said there is no difference they are the same. I didn't argue with him. But when you deal with a place that sells tire for cars and bikes and every thing else you have to watch them. This wasn't a motorcycle dealer. Any way I think the Metz. are great I don't need the E3's any more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts