GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the airfilter of my 09 by following Fred's Dvd and the service manual; all went well.

Now when the bike is still on the center stand and I inserted the key and turned to On for the first time, there is no FI light. If I press the Start button, it will start and everything seems to be fine; just no FI light.

Did I fail to re-connect something, or do I have to actually ride it to "reset"?

Appreciate any suggestions.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Sounds like you bent the pin in the ECM's connector that goes to the gauges to light that light. If you unplug the ECM it should be obvious looking at the pins. Check the black connector(A), it's pin 11, white/blue wire. Power for the light comes from within the gauge assembly and the ECM just grounds the line to turn it on. It's an LED, so it's unlikely that it burned out. Goodluck in tracking it down, please let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you bent the pin in the ECM's connector that goes to the gauges to light that light. If you unplug the ECM it should be obvious looking at the pins. Check the black connector(A), it's pin 11, white/blue wire.
when i plugged everything in, it felt quite smooth, no resistance.

That's a good point anyway..thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i plugged everything in, it felt quite smooth, no resistance.

That's a good point anyway..thanks
Tech:

removed the top shelter and checked the pins of ECM of both plugs again, they looked good, straight, no signs of bending or rubbing aginast anything.

all the connectors looked good too, 2 ECM plugs, air temp senor, Baro sensor all good.

I have ridden the bike yet, just placed on the center stand and start, and my seat is not plugged in yet. That shouldn't be an issue, should it?

any other suggestion, Tech?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Burnt out bulb.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burnt out bulb.
Ed,

Do you mean the FI light bulb itself, or other light bulbs on the bike? I checked the high beam, low beam, turn signal, brake lights, they all work.

And the bike would start normally on center stand with neutral, I have not ridden it yet.

Not sure if it matters, I have left the radion (2 connectors), connector to the heating element of the seat, and the connector goes to the meter panel (center), disconnected when I turned the key to the On position. Would that cuase the FI not to lite up?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I was referring to the FI light itself. If the oil light and others are working I would suspect the bulb went bad.

Swap with a know working bulb to test.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Ed, it's not a bulb, it's an LED. It could have gone bad like a bulb burning out. Klam 06, you will need to probe the ECM's "A" connector on the back side of pin 11 and see if you have power there while the key is turned on or if it reads near 0 volts. It should read near 0 volts for about 4-5 seconds while the ECM does it's system checks and then go to near full battery power.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ed, it's not a bulb, it's an LED. It could have gone bad like a bulb burning out. Klam 06, you will need to probe the ECM's "A" connector on the back side of pin 11 and see if you have power there while the key is turned on or if it reads near 0 volts. It should read near 0 volts for about 4-5 seconds while the ECM does it's system checks and then go to near full battery power.

Oops, sorry. I must have regressed 10 years to my GL1500 days.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Hey, that's ok Ed, I'm just glad Honda was smart enough to use LEDs so we're not pulling the gauges apart once a month to change a burned out bulb!
Sometimes they actually do something right. :shock:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops, it must be one of these moments! :oops:

For some reason, in my mind, the wing has FI light much like the ST1300 I owned before. When I couldn't find it on the gauges & indicators panel, thought it wasn't lited.

All is well after the air filter change, yes the PGM-FI did lite momemtary after the key is inserted and turned.

Thanks for all the suggestions; my bad!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts