GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2006 GL 1800 Triked with a champion kit in March. I now have 11,100 an get 26 mpg up to 65 MPH. 70/75/80 on interstate I get 16 to 20.
Rode 400 miles today interstate with a friend an a champion 2003. He was pulling a trailer, 2 up and I was 2 up about 76mph most of the way.. He got 30/31 mpg and I got 19 & 20.
Took it back to dealer 3 weeks ago; they checked it over and said they couldn't find a problem that would cause low mileage.
Help! Mac

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Pondboss,

Something sure aint right! I get 31 2up and pulling a Heavy loaded trailer. 32/34 in town 35/37 on road 2up But I rarely get over 70 and mostly use cruse. I don't have any suggestions for you but know that something seems just not right.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mac, that is much lower than I am getting. I get 34-36 easy.

I doubt it has to do with your kit, but rather the engine. I would put this question on the tech board. I bet you'll get good suggestions.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure? Dealer told me to run 25 psi in the rear tires and for the front, 40.
I am getting 36-39 depending on how fast I am going......
Champion recommends 20 psi in the rears.......
HAGD,
Alex

B

·
0 Posts
This is a tough one as most trikes get 30-32 average, some a little more. At 16-20, you have a major problem somewhere?

Did you take it to an authorized Honda dealer? This is so bad, they should be able to diagnose it.

Can we assume since you went to the dealer, they reset your ECM?

Do your wheels have any undue resistance to rolling?

Do you ride the brakes?

Have you tried shifting into 4th or 5th, that always helps at highway speeds :lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
beastie opined..............."Have you tried shifting into 4th or 5th, that always helps at highway speeds"..........

Now thats the ticket.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air pressure 25 rear/40 front. Authorized Honda dealer checked it out! Told me ECM could not be adjusted~~ just replaced. No indue resistance when rolling. OF COURSE I ride in 5th gear at highway speeds. Guess I'll try the Tech board!! Thanks, *Mac*

I

·
0 Posts
I agree with most above. I get 30-32 average, ODO corrected, 2 up, no trailer.

Sounds like something may be dragging or binding, low tire pressure, heavy hand on the throttle off the stop lights or out of the curves, or maybe a problem with the engine that the dealer hasn't diagnosed properly. All just guesses.

Good luck...Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
PONDBOSS said:
Air pressure 25 rear/40 front. Authorized Honda dealer checked it out! Told me ECM could not be adjusted~~ just replaced. No indue resistance when rolling. OF COURSE I ride in 5th gear at highway speeds. Guess I'll try the Tech board!! Thanks, *Mac*
Mac, we were just trying to throw a little levity into your predicament. I will almost guarantee, there is an easy answer to your question. Those dudes on the techie board can figure it out. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Man ~~ I'm just before going to two wheels again.. Maxium depression.. Can't figure out why dealers can't learn something about Goldwings.. Might get into it myself ! Dealers, just don't seem interested after the SALE!!
Charge plenty, but haven't a clue... Give me money: I'll get the knowledge. Even after the sale!!!! *Mac*

B

·
0 Posts
You cannot "adjust" the ECM, but you can reset it. I'm not sure I remember the exact procedure, but it's something like this.

With the Wing parked in Neutral - without touching the throttle, start the motor and let it idle until the fans come on. Without touching the throttle, turn the key off.

Now - I don't really know what this does or if it will help your situation or even if this is an urban myth, but this is what I have been told to do to "reset" the ECM.

It can't hurt to try it.

Someone else please chime in here. Ken and Dick, where are you guys.

·
Registered
224 Posts
no gas mileage

I have a friend Tom with a 04 wing and champion trike kit that complained th at he was only getting 27 to 30 mpg, another trike friend Coy told him that he had the same problem and he changed sparkplugs and his mpg went back up to 34 to 38 mpg. Tom changed his plugs and his mileage went back up to 34 to 38. My mpg has gone down to 28 to 34 all mpg depending on speed and riding habits, using cruse on 4 lane roads also makes a big difference. I am going to change my plugs and see for myself. Good luck finding your problem.

I

·
0 Posts
Re: no gas mileage

wingriderlarry said:
I have a friend Tom with a 04 wing and champion trike kit that complained th at he was only getting 27 to 30 mpg, another trike friend Coy told him that he had the same problem and he changed sparkplugs and his mpg went back up to 34 to 38 mpg. Tom changed his plugs and his mileage went back up to 34 to 38. My mpg has gone down to 28 to 34 all mpg depending on speed and riding habits, using cruse on 4 lane roads also makes a big difference. I am going to change my plugs and see for myself. Good luck finding your problem.
Where are you guys buying these magical spark plugs? :lol: :roll:

Sorry..must be my night to play cynic.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
milage

with milage that low, have a compentent tech check fuel pressure. the regulators have been known to fail. mine did. diesel.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You have some kind of fuel system or ECM problem. Holly's 02 Champion trike gets anywhere from 30 up to almost 40 MPG. It all depends if she is pulling a fully loaded trailer doing 80 MPH on the expressway or riding with a group of slow pokes.

C

·
0 Posts
Going to Region "D" last year..
Fully loaded trailer
2 up
got about 130 miles from Full to the RED light.
W/o wife and trailer, I'm up tp about 180 at the light.
Is this about right?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
cjmitch said:
Fully loaded trailer
2 up
Is this about right?
With the wife I get around 170-180 b/4 light.

C

·
0 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy said:
cjmitch said:
Fully loaded trailer
2 up
Is this about right?
Ok let me add some more to this, 65 to 70 mph in the rain.
Shell 89 octane
What could I be doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Tire pressure
Fuel pressure
O2 sensor

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
cjmitch said:
WhiskeryGoofy said:
cjmitch said:
Fully loaded trailer
2 up
Is this about right?
Ok let me add some more to this, 65 to 70 mph in the rain.
Shell 89 octane
What could I be doing wrong?
Doesn't look to me like you are doing "anything wrong". I don't pull a trailer, and my wife logs in at 110 lbs., so seems to be close to your figures. But when the "lite" comes on may vary. Your mileage seems close to mine, altho, I have never pulled a trailer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts