GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Tour 6MT
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '19, when I remove my hands from the bars, the bike wants to drift to the right. Not a hard drift - it can be counteracted with shifting my hips to the left, but it's enough that I cannot remove both hands for more than a few seconds. Both saddle bags are empty.
Common? Potential causes? I don't recall my '06 having the same issue.

While on the road, I like to enjoy single piece candy - like Jolly Rangers, etc. These take two hands to unwrap. Can't unwrap a quantity - because they then stick together.

I know - first world problems....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Texting, putting makeup on, and so much other stuff, now eating Jolly Rancher. Don't understand why people do this. Motorcycling needs 2 hands. Hope you don't need to do an emergency manuver, but you do you.
So you've never found yourself wanting to lean forwards over the bars, stretch your arms out wide, and sing "Life will go on" as you ride along? :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I purchased a bike, new, that pulled so hard left it was dangerous. It would put you into oncoming traffic before you knew it. This companies’ response was to not take your hands off the bars. I even made videos of the bike in action. I tried to explain to them this irregularity was causing me to fight the bike constantly and the hands off the bars was just an illustration of what was occurring. No joy from this company and I traded the bike with 600 miles on it. Sad, because other than this particular bike, I love the brand. In case you’re interested; the bike was a BMW K1600GTL. I’ll no longer purchase a bike without testing it with hands off the bars. My flame suit is on.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
(Slightly) off topic, but related to the OP’s “issue” with Jolly Rogers candy. . .

Years ago, my club used to host an Iron Butt style 24-hour long distance rally. The rally would attract 25-30 riders from across Canada, the United States, and a few from Europe.

The day after the rally, the participants’ bikes would be on public display, and the public was invited to vote for their “favourite” motorcycle. One year, the crowd’s favourite long distance rally bike was a touring motorcycle with the usual techno wizardry overkill, aux fuel tank, enough lights for an airliner. but was complimented by numerous viewers because it had a dash-mounted mint dish! (That’s a hint, Bill.) :)

Tim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Look at Traxxion Dynamics steering videos. Your first shot is to look at the steering tie rod. Max has several videos explaining our steering issues and how to correct them PROPERLY. The tie rod is an easy and obvious fix. The holding pin to lock the front steering shaft allows you to check alignment and "loosness" issues.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My bike is the same way as yours on certain roads. I’m darkside rear tire so the higher the crown the more it wants to drift to the right. Good level paved roads I can set the cruise, and watch Netflix for a couple hours. Lol

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Mine is the '18 Tour DCT Airbag and presently has 9,000 or so miles on it. I put a C/T on it about 3,000 miles ago and as usual, it handles like a dream. But if I let go with both hands, it has different reactions at different speeds. Now, before anyone gets all up tight and gets their panties in a wad, letting go with both hands is not a standard practice with me. I will do it on rare occasions if I feel the conditions are right, the speed is right, NO traffic is around me and no wind in any direction. And even then, it will be for only a few seconds. I do it primarily to straighten up my back by leaning back just enough.

But I can only do it at speeds above about 45 or so. Because if I do it below 45 or so, I will get some decent wobbling. And besides, if I'm only doing around 45 or so, it's more than likely I'm in city/county traffic and a bit more congested roads and I'd have no business letting go with both in those conditions.

But if I'm on a faster road, say 55 to 65 mph and traffic is nil, and again, if the sun and the moon and mars are all lined up, I might let go with both for just a second or two to chiropractic my back to a better feel. But, at that speed, based on the road itself, yep, mine too will slightly drift to the right. And like the OP, I can simply shift my ergonomics (lean a tad) to the left and it will straighten right up.
Scott

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Mine will want to drift on a flat road if I take the hands of the bar. I figured it was just tire wear. I was hoping new tires next year would fix it. It did not rise to a concern level for me. On a highway, there are times you just want to stretch a little.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
754 Posts
I will admit too and its wrong, I do at times, for few second hand resting, get my hands off. My bike is straight as an arrow. I would never ever do it on my BMW Grand America. Boy, that thing was going to the left like a magnet to the North Pole. I remember so many riders on the forum complaining about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
On my '19, when I remove my hands from the bars, the bike wants to drift to the right. Not a hard drift - it can be counteracted with shifting my hips to the left, but it's enough that I cannot remove both hands for more than a few seconds. Both saddle bags are empty.
Common? Potential causes? I don't recall my '06 having the same issue.

While on the road, I like to enjoy single piece candy - like Jolly Rangers, etc. These take two hands to unwrap. Can't unwrap a quantity - because they then stick together.

I know - first world problems....
And don't forget the roads are usually slightly sloped from the center line outward to drain rain water.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts