GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,089 Posts
On my '19, when I remove my hands from the bars, the bike wants to drift to the right...
Drifting: When there's absolutely no cars anywhere (like a cornfield), try running left of the centerline. Still drifting to the right? Just about every road in the country has a crown: slight drifting to the right sounds normal to me.
My front tire almost always wears a little more on the left side: same cause I suspect.

Another possibility: only a percentage of bikes leave the factory with near perfect alignment. This is a significant cause of handlebar wobble. That's why some Goldwings do it and some don't. The forum has looked into this many times, and the consensus is that though new tires will effectively dampen out wobble caused by misalignment, they can't do it for ever: wobble increases as tires wear. So if indeed misalignment is a significant cause of wobble, wouldn't it also cause a bike to drift left or right?

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
754 Posts
And don't forget the roads are usually slightly sloped from the center line outward to drain rain water.
A small fact on this topic, in Israel, all main hwys are angled to the right. Not because of rain drainage, because in the even the driver falls asleep, the car will tend to go off to the right, to nature, not to in coming cars.

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 6sp
468 Posts
Mine does the same thing.. small lean to the right.. I have been told before (when I used to ride on my CBR500) that I actually sit 'off center - to the right' and I just chalk the 'to the right' lean to the fact that I must still sit 'to the right, off center' like I used too. Being on the GL I don't think there is really a way to tell where you sit in the seat. Try adjusting where you sit as an option.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I foolishly removed my hands once on my bike and found out my 2007 DO NOT track.

Instead, it wants to "wobble", as in high speed wobble with hands off the handle bars.

Nerve wracking to say the least😆 scary feeling going 55mph.😅

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
754 Posts
I use to go yearly to the motorcycle shows in New York City. One time, at the Triumph booth, they had one of Triumph top engineers rep the company. He claims that almost always, any driveshaft bike, the bike will steer slightly and its always an engineering challenge to correct it by off setting the front steering or something with the forks. That was very interesting and I never thought about that. The amount of correction has many...many factors to account. Marvel of engineering. Again, not sure why, but mine is straight, no issues.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,089 Posts
...almost always, (on) any driveshaft bike, the bike will steer slightly (to one side or the other) and its always an engineering challenge to correct it by off-setting the front steering or something with the forks...
Never thought of this. Torque reaction: the same force that causes the rear end of a bike (with a driveshaft) to rise under acceleration. Stands to reason that it could also cause a twisting force when ya twist the throttle on an inline 6. Ever watch a car engine twist when doing this? Maybe the same thing for a bike? However, this would not affect the bike if it were in neutral or coasting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I frequently take both hands off the bars at highway speeds. I always have. I've never had a bike that wallowed at highway speeds, hands off. But many bikes will wallow at lower speeds, especially when decelerating and passing through around 35 mph... many bikes, maybe most bikes, will commence to wallow in that setting once hands are removed from the bars.

As for drifting at highway speeds, my 22 MT6 Tour stays straight and true, which means it will drift ever so slightly due to the usual factors: road crown, wind, bike loading, etc. I can take my hands off the bars, fold my arms, and ride the bike that way indefinitely, steering as necessary with shifting body weight. In my thinking, this is the way a proper motorcycle should behave.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
On my '19, when I remove my hands from the bars, the bike wants to drift to the right. Not a hard drift - it can be counteracted with shifting my hips to the left, but it's enough that I cannot remove both hands for more than a few seconds. Both saddle bags are empty.
Common? Potential causes? I don't recall my '06 having the same issue.

While on the road, I like to enjoy single piece candy - like Jolly Rangers, etc. These take two hands to unwrap. Can't unwrap a quantity - because they then stick together.

I know - first world problems....
You should have no pull, but a drift caused by a crown of the road is normal. To test, and assuming the crown is even in both lanes, cross into the on coming lane and let go of the bars. Your bike should then drift left. Another test would be letting go when the pavement is perfectly flat and has no crown.

Unfortunately, some Wings come with a pull when new.

If you do have a pull, start by verifying that your front wheel/tire assembly is mounted correctly. If the pull is there after changing tires, you've eliminated tires as a possibility. Are there accessories mounted to the handle bars ???

·
Registered
289 Posts
I purchased a bike, new, that pulled so hard left it was dangerous. It would put you into oncoming traffic before you knew it. This companies’ response was to not take your hands off the bars. I even made videos of the bike in action. I tried to explain to them this irregularity was causing me to fight the bike constantly and the hands off the bars was just an illustration of what was occurring. No joy from this company and I traded the bike with 600 miles on it. Sad, because other than this particular bike, I love the brand. In case you’re interested; the bike was a BMW K1600GTL. I’ll no longer purchase a bike without testing it with hands off the bars. My flame suit is on.
Earlier K1600GTLs had this problem. It's discussed at nauseum in the BMW forums. Shimming and all sorts of remedies were discussed but none worked. I owned a 2012 K1600GTL and had a slight consistent pull to the left which would never allow you to take both hands of the bars. I traded it in in 2018 for a 2018 K1600B/GA which wobbled at 80mph. Got rid of it and bought a R1250RT which tracks straight and true. The newer 2020+ K1600GT and GTLs have apparently fixed this issue, but the K1600B models retain the chassis problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Occasionally, when traveling down a 3 lane interstate withe the cruise control on doing 70 to 75 mph, I will take both hands off the bars- my 21 6 speed non-tour goes straight as an arrow. If needed, I shift my weight and steer with my legs. It freaks people out watching you go down the road at 75 with no hands on the bars. Don't do it too much because I am sure somewhere in the New York State vehicle and traffic laws it says you must have at least one hand on the bars at all times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine drifts right slightly. I’m pretty sure it’s the crown of the road. In Nevada I’ve found I can ride no hands for 8 miles or so but I need to keep towards the center because of the crown.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
754 Posts
I took mine out yesterday just to check again. zero weight in the back or sides, no phone or radar detector mounted, all emptied and she was like a straight edge at 40-70 MPH on a major HWY. It might has to do with all the accessories that some of us has??? I not sure. My FJR was straight line too and it has a driveshaft.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Many years ago on my 95 GL1500, on long stretches I sometimes set cruise and climbed back into the passenger section. I was able to ride like that indefinitely. Talk about freaking ppl out!
I stopped doing that when a friend suggested the odd loading on the bike could under some wind or road condition cause an upset.

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
142 Posts
I have a '19 Tour manual and I don't make a habit of taking both hands off the wheel but on this bike I've done it a number of times riding down the road by myself and no one else around. I haven't noticed any tendency to drift one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I know this is an 18+ but I have a 15. Has drifted to the right since the day I brought it home, even when riding in the highspeed lane, (far left). Same as everyone else. Shift my weight to the left and she will straighten out. It must me a Honda thing. I'm having a Traxxion full monty added now. Hopefully this will help

21 - 40 of 43 Posts