GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, sitting at a light my Wing jumped forward a few inches. Felt like the clutch slipped out of my hand. I look in the mirror and a cage is sitting really close to my six. Did it just hit me? Yup. Got off to look, she put down the phone and got out apologizing profusely. I looked over the back of the Wing and saw no damage thanks to the Bushtec hitch sticking out there. The cage had a tiny thumbnail size scratch on the bumper. I gave a small lecture on the importance of being careful and cell phone safety and let it go. Since then I have come up with many other reactions and over-reactions. What should I have done?[/img]

·
Registered
793 Posts
>>What should I have done?

Summary execution?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Looks like you handled it about right. As long as there was no damage, a little show of righteous anger was justified.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What should I have done?

You have not shared with us how attractive the lady was. :lol:

It reads as though you did pretty well.

She apologized.

Our code of conduct requires that we not go about raising our voices and acting tough toward ladies!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You should have asked her if she happened to see where the baby seat with your 2 year old was that was on the back of your bike ?..Or ask her,,,Did you see where my dog went..he was in a special dog seat on the back of my motorcycle,,now he is gone !"

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Sitting at a traffic light after dark in a light rain. I felt something like you. I told my wife we had just been hit. It was such a small bump, she didn't even know anything had happened. The only damage I saw was a broken tail light lens. The gal wanted to give me $20 to buy a new one. I refused and we exchanged insurance and contact information.
Back home at my dealer an inspection discovered that the saddlebag had impact damage and the finish was spider webbed around the impact, the saddle bag mounting frame was bent and there was some other minor damage. None of this stuff was apparant on the street that night.
$1,700 dollars in damage. Her insurance company took care of it, but it was a real hassel. She fought me about the damages seeing only the broken tail light, but an adjuster from her insurance company confirmed the damage and finally cut the check.
Lesson learned, always get insurance and contact information, no matter how minor the damage seems at the time. It saved me $1,680 to get my bike back to new. BTW it was a week old when it happened, and the bike has never felt new again. I don't know something psychological. I was robbed of that new bike feeling.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
cell phone

I think I might have asked to use her cell phone and then thrown it as far as I could fling it. :x :x :x

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Exactly what you did. Anything more would have slapped the bad a$$ biker tag on you tho slipping the phone where the antenna ticked her lower intestines would have felt better.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Seems to me you did the right thing. Now she knows that not all motorcyle riders have nasty attitudes. I wish there was a federal law making it a felony offense to talk on a cell phone and operate a motor vehicle at the same time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You did good :wink:

She might have even learned a lesson.

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
dosmoore said:
Yesterday, sitting at a light my Wing jumped forward a few inches. Felt like the clutch slipped out of my hand. I look in the mirror and a cage is sitting really close to my six. Did it just hit me? Yup. Got off to look, she put down the phone and got out apologizing profusely. I looked over the back of the Wing and saw no damage thanks to the Bushtec hitch sticking out there. The cage had a tiny thumbnail size scratch on the bumper. I gave a small lecture on the importance of being careful and cell phone safety and let it go. Since then I have come up with many other reactions and over-reactions. What should I have done?[/img]
Your a good person

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ask to borrow her phone, then smash it on the ground. Then tell her that maybe she won't be so careless next time as to almost kill a motorcyclist.

Mike

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'd go with I suppose a BJ is totally out of the question. But hey I'm still a pig from riding a hog (HD). :lol: I've only had the wing for a few weeks now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Shoulda put the kickstand down, then rolled of the bike and on to the ground clutching your back and, while wincing with pain, gasp "Ohhhh, my backkkk..., call 911".

But I like Joel's solution too.

Really, you did what should have been done. Good job. Saw the exact thing happen to a guy on a HD Road King in Bowling Green OH about 5 years ago. He was not happy. I was in a cage at the time, so I just pulled up next to him as he was stomping back to the woman in the car that bumped him, gave him my card and told him to call if he needs a witness, and took off. Never did hear anything about it later. Maybe I should have stuck around just for the entertainment value.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Was in Vermont this past week and saw a sign on the back of a pickup "I wonder how you would drive with your cell phone shoved up your a%$" May be appropriate??

·
Registered
144 Posts
You did a lot better than me, I was bumped in a toll booth by some guy in a piece of junk car, I got off the wing, yelling and screming, holding my helmet by the strap I slammed it on on to the guys hood, yelling for his insurance card. he was just looking at me like everbody else saying he was sorry! sorry!. looked the bike over could not find any damage. cranked the bike up and just drove off, as I cooled down I thought how foolished I acted and looked, I was just lucky, and I should know from my past, how dangerous acting like that can be.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I think you did the appropriate thing, although; in the same situation, I'm not sure what I'd have done. I guess a lot would depend on her attitude and how cute she was.

Bartman

·
Registered
227 Posts
First,I would have thanked whomever your higher power comes from that you weren't on the way to the hospital or morgue making the ten o clock news.Next real cool like,only the way a Goldwing rider can do .I would have swaggered up to the car real sexy like and said:Baby if you wanted to meet me that bad,why didn't you just honk I would have pulled over,then I would ask her by the way was you trying to call me when you hit me in the ass?I didn't even have my phone on and where are you going to take me to dinner so we can discuss restatution,for all this damage.John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts