GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes my friends I have the old bad starter switch that's keeping my head lights off. I have kept riding by cramming duct tape in the assembly to hold the switch back and keep the lights on. It's time to fix it right and would like some input from others who have taken on this challenge. Looking at the parts manual I don't really see the switch assembly but only the entire switch housing unit. I haven't priced this but would assume an expensive item. Anyone have suggestions as the best way to tackle this project?

Thanks in advance

Sarge (Tim)

Leon Ks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Disassemble it,

Clean it with rubbing alcohol

Lubricate it sparingly with some TV Tuner cleaner from Radio Shack

re-assemble it.

If you loose or break some parts, buy a new one. ;) so DONT LOOSE OR BREAK ANY PARTS.

Have fun.

I understand that Fred Harmon's videos cover this, but I have yet to buy a set of his DVDs so I cannot confirm this.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
I wouldn't bother You see these assemblies on ebay from time to time
Get one of those It will be way cheaper and less aggravation

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would assume that I have some internal part broken. The switch lever returns/comes out too far thus shutting off the lights. I suspect that some stopping post or other such part needs replaced. I just don't think individual parts are available for the assembly. I was looking for experienced advice on the problem

Thanks for your input.

Sarge

Disassemble it,

Clean it with rubbing alcohol

Lubricate it sparingly with some TV Tuner cleaner from Radio Shack

re-assemble it.

If you loose or break some parts, buy a new one. ;) so DONT LOOSE OR BREAK ANY PARTS.

Have fun.

I understand that Fred Harmon's videos cover this, but I have yet to buy a set of his DVDs so I cannot confirm this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would assume that I have some internal part broken. The switch lever returns/comes out too far thus shutting off the lights. I suspect that some stopping post or other such part needs replaced. I just don't think individual parts are available for the assembly. I was looking for experienced advice on the problem

Thanks for your input.

Sarge
No problem.

do you have it out already?

If so you MIGHT be able to find a manufactures name and part number on the switch, but I have seen quite a few without any markings.... short of that, I think ccsailor's advice of buying a used assembley off of eBay would be lowest cost option.

Good luck and let us know how it all comes out as we may break a switch in the future.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I haven't priced this but would assume an expensive item.
I looked at hdlparts.com and the switch assembly for my bike (2010) is $159.75 with a MSRP of $218.38.......your mileage may vary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts