GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.Rode Sunday and wondered why hands were cold,just figured the temp was lower.Had jsut gotten my wife a full set up on Gerbing,and she was fine for the first time in years.
Tonight I checked the fuses and they were okay.Checked the fuse slots for power and that checked out.
I had repalced the air filter a week ago.Thought I had plugged everything back up.Let me ask,if there is power to the fuses,wouldn't that mean all of the heater plugs are plugged in?
Anything else to check?Thanks for the help as always.Neither the seat or the grips warm up.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Raz...
Short answer here as I am not near the electrical drawings,
but "NO" power to the fuses wouldn't mean all the plugs are connected.
The fuses are the first thing to get the voltage and then it is passed through
relays and connectors and the heater control module and then connectors
to the grips and the seat front and rear and passenger seat back.
There are connectors in the temperature sensing thermistors in the seat that effect the heater controller also.
The simple fix would be that it sounds like you didn't get something reconnected.
I'll bet someone like Fred or Larry will have an input for you before I get to the manual to check.
Good hunting!
DC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DC,you gave me another place to look.I ride the bike to work every day,and when it was 21* here in Mississippi,the guys think I'm nuts,since I work at the Chevy dealership here ,thanks again..Ray

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
razwrld said:
Hello ,checeked under the seat,and it was plugged up.Where Next?Thanks
The next thing I would check is, to make sure both seat & grip plugs are pushed all the way in on the switches. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grip & seat heat

did you ever find out was wrong. I'm in the same boat, but mine just quit working on way home from work. Checked fuse,it was good. I'm thinking heater relay took dump.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
You might think this is a stupid question, but a similar question was asked of me several weeks ago at the local "Bike Night" and since you didn't indicate which bike you have, I have to ask.

"Do you have the Comfort option on the bike?"

A guy approached me (he saw I was riding a wing) and asked me how to turn on the grip and seat heaters. All he had was the Premium Audio. Not the "Comfort."

Just a thought.

If so, if the plug under the seat is plugged in and no blown fuses, my guess would be that your plugs are not plugged in or properly seated under the shelter. I know it's a PITA to pull the shelter again, but looks like that's your only option.

Bartman

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06. At first the problem was intermittant and then constant. The dealer said it was because of the Utopia backrest i installed. I insisted they check it out. They came to find out it was a defective seat and replaced it under warranty. Grips and seat heaters work fine now although the passenger seat doesn't get as warm as the driver seat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry, forgot to say I have the G.W. 2007 with audio/comfort/nav.
checked fuse,good. and swapped relays, it was good. So i dropped it of at shop this morning. They think its heater control box bad, will see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have on 06 in for the same problem... customer is willing to pay for it to be fixed rather than take it to the dealer for warranty. Go figure<G>

The left grip is bad on this bike. The resistance between the 2 wires on the right side was 2.4 ohms. Was 2 Mohms on the left. The grips are wired in series so if one goes out they both are dead. Customer wants to upgrade to the Honda Dress Grips.

Be careful if you have a Corbin heated seats.... seems there are a few that have previously failed and they (Corbin) expects a higher than normal failure rate on the remaing units that have already been made. This customer has had his Corbin fail, returned it and is waiting for Corbin to make him a new seat. When he called Corbin about just repairing the existing seat he was told that 'it's better just to make a new one'.

Sounds serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fixed ?

Well got call on mine from honda service dept today, and they said mine is fixed. They said right grip heat was bad so they changed it out. Well will see, here lately i ride for two weeks and something breaks, get that fixed and ride two weeks and something else goes wrong. Oh well I'll keep my fingers crossed now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,I gave in and took the bike to my Honda dealer in Brookhaven,Mississippi.Jody,the shop manager took the bike right in and called me that day.He took the bike down to the last part,as he said,and had to order some parts.Did not say which ones.When I find out exactly what it is or was I will post.
Until then,I'm stuck driving my truck everyday,never knew how cramped it can feel.I've had my 2006 with the comfort package since November of 2005,and have just over 22,000 miles,dam I miss her!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
razwrld said:
Hello,I gave in and took the bike to my Honda dealer in Brookhaven,Mississippi.Jody,the shop manager took the bike right in and called me that day.He took the bike down to the last part,as he said,and had to order some parts.Did not say which ones.When I find out exactly what it is or was I will post.
Until then,I'm stuck driving my truck everyday,never knew how cramped it can feel.I've had my 2006 with the comfort package since November of 2005,and have just over 22,000 miles,dam I miss her!!

It will be ok :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heated Grips & Rider's Seat failure

2006 Dark red GL1800 Audio/Comfort/Navi

This forum has been a tremendous help & it is very much appreciated. I have narrowed down that I did have a short in the left hand grip. I have since replaced the factory grips with Big Bike Parts Heated Comfort Grips (PN#17-382) from Chromeworld. Nice grips. They were installed & the system still doesn't work. The only thing that I didn't do is like they would do at a shop is disconnect the battery while I serviced them. Could this be my problem? The other thing that I have yet to investigate is the heating element behind the leftside bag. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any insight that you can provide.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
2006 Dark red GL1800 Audio/Comfort/Navi

This forum has been a tremendous help & it is very much appreciated. I have narrowed down that I did have a short in the left hand grip. I have since replaced the factory grips with Big Bike Parts Heated Comfort Grips (PN#17-382) from Chromeworld. Nice grips. They were installed & the system still doesn't work. The only thing that I didn't do is like they would do at a shop is disconnect the battery while I serviced them. Could this be my problem? The other thing that I have yet to investigate is the heating element behind the leftside bag. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any insight that you can provide.
That's the heat control module, you can only check that by replacing it with a known good one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the club

I had the same issues and after 3 years of trouble shooting Honda Rep first had them change out the right grip, it did not fix the issue, Change out left grip, and that was defective from factory, waited 1 more week, then rep cam on site, and he determined it was the seat, they replaced the seat under warranty and last weekend for the first time in 3 years we were able to use the Grips, and Both seats for more thatn 20 minutes without it shutting down.
We ar no pleased, Honda Rep noted that they are finding more defective seats of late.

Maury

1 - 20 of 29 Posts