GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a Brewers game this weekend and noticed the large number of wingers and non that were not wearing helemets.

I'm from North of Hwy 64, some would say that's not a good thing! :) , but with all the traffic in and around the Miwaukee area and points north, I would have expected just the oppisite.

The SO and I never ride wo our brain buckets, you never know when you might need it!

Tim

O

·
0 Posts
helmets

I wore one in Hawaii & it's not required there. The guys that wear the little buckets (usually a very loud HD or chopper)....well those are useless when you need a helmet also. I don't even think they are DOT, but it keeps the cops from citing them.

It's the "it's not going to happen to me" attitude. Kind of like seat belts in the 70's. We all know there is more risk involved in riding, but with proper equip., training, maintenance, and ATTITUDE we can reduce our risk substantially.

·
Registered
129 Posts
helmets

I live in NE,Ks where they are not required, I wear a full face helmet all the time. I buy a new one every 5 yrs, for the simple reason that I worked for the NHRA for 10 yrs that is what they require for classes that go fast. I also got to see first hand what a helmet can save. One of our buddies dumped his chopper last night, his helmet looked like it was drug behind a pickup. He lived to tell about it.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Went to a Brewers game this weekend and noticed the large number of wingers and non that were not wearing helemets.

I'm from North of Hwy 64, some would say that's not a good thing! :) , but with all the traffic in and around the Miwaukee area and points north, I would have expected just the oppisite.

The SO and I never ride wo our brain buckets, you never know when you might need it!

Tim
North of 64 :lol: shorts ,sandals,non safety glasses, and sun screen:roll: it's their choice ,kinda like me being a Darksider.:thumbup: Law of nature..... Dumb Die ,it all gets figured out in the end. I got better things to think about. Like next ride :yes1:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Helmets are a must in our family!!

Everybody to their own but, a helmet saved my step-son in 1986. Prior to that my wife (his mother) thought I was the worst person in the world! She told me they had ridden 3 wheelers all his life (he was 16 at the time)without helmets. I explained that was fine but as long as my money was in the bike (A Honda Fat Cat), he would wear a full face helmet and if I ever heard of him ever riding without it the bike would be parked then sold!!! Only 2 weeks after the purchase he dropped the front wheel into a hole and over the handlebars he and his friend on the back went. The friend was a much larger boy, and landed right on top of him in some cut bush stubble (dense small little stumps from 1/2" to 1 1/2"). Our son was injured pretty badly with one of the stobs puncturing his knee cap. However, he went over face first, the FF Helmet protected his face and probably kept him from being blinded too. The helmet was scratched and polked to the extreme!! After that, my wife was so thankful I had been such a hard-head! I didn't consider it that, but having worked as an EMT in the 70's I just had a better vision as to the possibilities, that's all.

He now has a family of his own with an extremely beautiful wife and two handsome young sons. As we sometimes talk about that accident from time to time, we all realize this could have changed that one day in 1986 without the use of a single helmet.

They may be hot, they may be uncomfortable but they are your best friend!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
(I know I will get flamed for this...maybe even tared and feathered)

(This response is not directed at the OP of this thread just a comment in general)

Why do we care what others wear, it has no bearing on our lives or theirs....

...I think it is still great that we have states that allow us to make decisions for ourselves....if you want to wear a helmet...you should wear one, if not...don't...

...I wear my helmet only because I laid a bike down once and know what it means to be close to the pavement....but personaly, I don't care if a group of riders pass me wearing no helmets...in fact I oppose a local community that enacted a law that all children need to wear a helmet riding thier bicycles....

...I think that is why this country is falling apart....we have all become a bunch of wimps....we want the glory without the risk...

Gold Wingers are a great group of people and I am glad they want to be safe...BUT BOY I am definately getting tired of the word SAFETY...I went to the last two Wing Dings now and that is all you see and hear, Wear Your Helmets, Safety, Riders Education, CT's are unsafe (which we know is BS).....

...I am now wondering if this is why Gold Wings Last so long...no one is riding them they are inside worrying about safety....

Folks be safe, but leave the dead horse lye....get out and ride...enjoy this beautiful country...let the wind blow threw your hair or helmet vents....but don't spend your time critizing others decisions about wearing a helmet or not....

Let the flames begin.....

Safe Rides...(That dam word again)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Selfish people think only of themselves and not those they will be leaving behind.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Tim
North of 64. Where do you live? We dont where cranium caps ourselves!:thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
(I know I will get flamed for this...maybe even tared and feathered)

(This response is not directed at the OP of this thread just a comment in general)

Why do we care what others wear, it has no bearing on our lives or theirs....

...I think it is still great that we have states that allow us to make decisions for ourselves....if you want to wear a helmet...you should wear one, if not...don't...

...I wear my helmet only because I laid a bike down once and know what it means to be close to the pavement....but personaly, I don't care if a group of riders pass me wearing no helmets...in fact I oppose a local community that enacted a law that all children need to wear a helmet riding thier bicycles....

...I think that is why this country is falling apart....we have all become a bunch of wimps....we want the glory without the risk...

Gold Wingers are a great group of people and I am glad they want to be safe...BUT BOY I am definately getting tired of the word SAFETY...I went to the last two Wing Dings now and that is all you see and hear, Wear Your Helmets, Safety, Riders Education, CT's are unsafe (which we know is BS).....

...I am now wondering if this is why Gold Wings Last so long...no one is riding them they are inside worrying about safety....

Folks be safe, but leave the dead horse lye....get out and ride...enjoy this beautiful country...let the wind blow threw your hair or helmet vents....but don't spend your time critizing others decisions about wearing a helmet or not....

Let the flames begin.....

Safe Rides...(That dam word again)
AMEN brother

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Settle down boys!:22yikes:

Just a observation on my part not preaching to anyone. Just was suprised at the traffic and the chance's of going down or being hit in more populated areas.

And yes the deer up north are waiting for you around evey corner!

So put the soap boxes away and get out and ride, shiny side up!:thumbup:

Tim

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Settle down boys!:22yikes:

Just a observation on my part not preaching to anyone. Just was suprised at the traffic and the chance's of going down or being hit in more populated areas.

And yes the deer up north are waiting for you around evey corner!

So put the soap boxes away and get out and ride, shiny side up!:thumbup:

Tim
The deer on roads are horrible right now around central Wi. Soap box ?? I must be to young :lol: is this where you keep all those little pieces of left over soap after they melt away ? I often wonder where those pieces of soap go . Ha wife ain't so tricky ,thanks for insider info guys . :thumbup:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Lab Rider;3446812 ...I am now wondering if this is why Gold Wings Last so long...no one is riding them they are inside worrying about safety....[/QUOTE said:
Huh??? I am reading this while riding down the freeway and typing too with no helmet wearing sandals and shorts and no gloves because the gloves get in the way of typing......lol:wrong:.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Huh??? I am reading this while riding down the freeway and typing too with no helmet wearing sandals and shorts and no gloves because the gloves get in the way of typing......lol:wrong:.
I really am a bad influence on you ,sorry ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I never leave home without it and neither does my wife. That being said I believe whether of not you want to wear one is a personal choice. I don't like being told I must wear a seatbelt either but I cannot remember the last time I didn't have one one. I'm sick and tired of the pc police telling me what I have to wear and eat and the proper way to think as well. Whew I feel better now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts