GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a container ship that is tipping over, over in England. There are now new BMW motorcycles washing up on shore. It was just on FOX news, it shows people loading new bikes into the back of a pickup and another pushing one up to the road. The bikes would have to be completely torn apart and all the salt water cleaned out real quick.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
...and they're going to tell the agency that one has to register it with that they got it where?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

According to Reuters, found salvage mustbe reported or is illegallyin the posession of whover took it. So far at least 15 new BMWs have been spirited away from the beach by locals.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I didn't know a motorcycle would float :shock:

·
Registered
168 Posts
A Goldwing will float like a 900lb rock. Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
CharlieUPI said:
I'll be the dirty SOB who says what everyone else is thinking..... How do you know this?

·
Registered
525 Posts
The BMW's don't float but the sealed cargo containers they were in do. Looks like the neighbors broke in and helped themselves, kind of like some of our citizens do after a natural disaster or a winning or losing football game.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
gpick said:
The BMW's don't float but the sealed cargo containers they were in do. Looks like the neighbors broke in and helped themselves, kind of like some of our citizens do after a natural disaster or a winning or losing football game.
Actually it is legal according to maritime salvage laws, you just have to report what you take.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I don't think I would want one.After floting around in the ocean all it would be is junk.You will never get it completely salt free. I would just let them float on bye.
**** :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
zaT111 said:
Actually it is legal according to maritime salvage laws, you just have to report what you take.

Not quite:

Under the Merchant Shipping Act, salvage remains the property of the original owner. Anyone who finds washed up goods must contact a government official, called the receiver of the wreck, within 28 days.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said people could be charged with theft if they failed to report the salvage they take from the beach.

"It belongs to somebody," a spokesman said. "They have a legal obligation to report their finds." People are allowed to store the salvage at home while the owner decides what to do with the salvaged goods.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
gpick said:
zaT111 said:

Not quite:

Under the Merchant Shipping Act, salvage remains the property of the original owner. Anyone who finds washed up goods must contact a government official, called the receiver of the wreck, within 28 days.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said people could be charged with theft if they failed to report the salvage they take from the beach.

"It belongs to somebody," a spokesman said. "They have a legal obligation to report their finds." People are allowed to store the salvage at home while the owner decides what to do with the salvaged goods.
Thanks for the clarification, the news did not go into details.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Been there and done that........

Lucky 777 said:
CharlieUPI said:
I'll be the dirty SOB who says what everyone else is thinking..... How do you know this?
Had that happen once last summer on the wayback from a lobster run (Custy's - North Stonington, CT) We encountered heavy rain between Whitney Point and Marathon while headed north on I-81 (within 30 miles of home), and decided to exit at Marathon (Rte 221) and wait it out beneath the overpass. Entering 221, both sides of which were banked away from us and covered with water, the bike did a bit of a slide, but I got it back under control, causing only a minor scrape on the center stand foot against the opposite curb. My wife knew to just sit still (thank God!), and we came through it unscathed. The whole thing happened at <5 MPH.

The next day, I was still curious and went back to analyze the situation. I found a bunch of loose gravel covering the road that obviously contributed to the initial loss of traction. There was a highway crew cleaning it up while I was there.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Those BMW's didn't wash out to sea, they were bait fish for Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Would those be the Saltwater models..??

I like fries with my salt.... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts