GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my low beams on a 2004 Gl1800.
Replaced original bulbs with two new bulbs, no luck.
Pulled the fuse for head light lo, checked for voltage on fuse block. Facing the fuse block the connection tab towards the rear of the bike had 14.3 VDC, the other side of the Lo Beam Fuse connector towards the front off the bike showed no voltage of course.

I replaced old fuse with new fuse just to check, no lights.

Pulled left side and right side lo beam connectors off the lamps one at a time. Started bike, no voltage to either Lo Beam Socket.

All other electrics work fine. Original battery, use battery tender, have Electrical Connection ground block and fuse block installed. The only accessory installed is XM Radio with the Electrical Connection Amp.

Looks like trip to dealer for me.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Just strictly a shot in the dark here (pun intended) but do you think it could be your hi/low dimmer switch or it's internal contacts?? T.

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
Just for the heck of it start the bike and put it in gear. Then start playing with your starter button. Could be a defective/dirty starter switch on the bar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tvbveb said:
Just strictly a shot in the dark here (pun intended) but do you think it could be your hi/low dimmer switch or it's internal contacts?? T.
Well it is a possibility. I have worked the high beam switch a number of times but I did not try disassembling it. I could try some contact spray if I see a place where I could spray it into the switch.

Still intending on taking it to shop at this point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red said:
Just for the heck of it start the bike and put it in gear. Then start playing with your starter button. Could be a defective/dirty starter switch on the bar.
Thanks,
I'll give it a shot. I'll try anything that's within reason. I'm sure not a electrical wiz. I can get by with some basics but that's about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rkekeis said:
"THE" Banjolou?

Good luck, Bob
You bet your sweet bippy Bob. Still pickin and still eatin SPAM.
MMMMMMMMMMM SPAM!! :D
Hope all is well with you. If you see any of the other guys give them my best please. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred H. said:
Could be a bad LO Beam relay under the seat.
Thanks Fred, I'll check that out.
I watched your video on how to change the bulbs just before I did it. It sure is great having those DVD's. Great Job.

Fred, Is there a matching relay that I can temp orarily swap with the Lo Beam one under the seat, just so I can check it.

Time to crack open the service manual. Should read first ask questions second.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
BanjoLou said:
tvbveb said:
Well it is a possibility. I have worked the high beam switch a number of times but I did not try disassembling it. I could try some contact spray if I see a place where I could spray it into the switch.
That switch is a high beam on/off switch and has nothing to do with the low beam, which is on all the time.

The problem is probably with the low beam relay or the starter switch. Or, there is a short in the wiring and the new fuse blew right away. Test the fuse with a meter, or you should be able to check it visually if you look closely. If it is blown, do not put in a larger fuse for any reason.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
BanjoLou said:
tvbveb said:
That switch is a high beam on/off switch and has nothing to do with the low beam, which is on all the time.

The problem is probably with the low beam relay or the starter switch. Or, there is a short in the wiring and the new fuse blew right away. Test the fuse with a meter, or you should be able to check it visually if you look closely. If it is blown, do not put in a larger fuse for any reason.
Good to know, sounds like swapping the hi and low beams relays like Fred suggested is a good first step. T.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All Boots No Saddle said:
BanjoLou said:
tvbveb said:

In this case the original fuse is still good. It never blew. I had spares and tried one just for the heck of it but no change.
I'm hoping it's just a bad relay. I'll check that first and then go after the starter switch if the relay is ok.
Yes, the Bright Switch is on it's own circuit so has nothing to do with the low beam. Sure hope it's not a bad wire.
Thanks for all the help here.

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
if the hi beams are still working i doubt the starter button could b the problem

good luck, i am curious what the problem actually turns out to b

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fred H. said:
Wish I could say it was the relay but it wasn't. I swapped the relays around and no change. Lo Beam relay worked with the Hi Beams.

I also put the bike in gear turned on the power and tried working the starter switch a number of times to no avail. It could be the starter switch but it gives no indication of it that I can hear or see.

Still looks like a warranty trip to the shop.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The only other things I see from the manual that haven't been mentioned are:
Faulty Diode (D21) doesn't say where it is (possibly under the seat with others)
There are two fuses 9 for lo relay & 26 for lo beams

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,222 Posts
BanjoLou said:
Fred H. said:
Wish I could say it was the relay but it wasn't. I swapped the relays around and no change. Lo Beam relay worked with the Hi Beams.

I also put the bike in gear turned on the power and tried working the starter switch a number of times to no avail. It could be the starter switch but it gives no indication of it that I can hear or see.

Try putting it into reverse and see if they come on. If they do then the headlight diode is bad. If they don't, then it has to be a wiring problem. Double check those fuses also #26 and #9. :shock:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
techdude2000 said:
BanjoLou said:
Fred H. said:

Try putting it into reverse and see if they come on. If they do then the headlight diode is bad. If they don't, then it has to be a wiring problem. Double check those fuses also #26 and #9. :shock:
End of the road, I tried em all. Still no lights.
Made appointment with Burgers Motorcycle here in NJ.
Only dealer localy I have any confidenece in at this time.
They have always had a good service dept.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post a new message when I find out what's wrong.
Even if I missed something blatantly simple. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts