GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sob* I was getting onto the Beltway around Washington DC when I felt this tremendous thump, as if I had ridden straight into a curb. I managed to grip the bike with my thighs, preventing me from being thrown across the handlebars... I was surrounded on all sides by cars doing about 70 - 80 mph and when I finally could get to the side lane there was no shoulder. I checked out the tire when I finally stopped and it seemed okay. So I rode on. I figure I hit a seam in one of the concrete blocks... no warning.

That weekend I went with five other bikes on a trip up to Cape May, New Jersey. Along the way I began to feel a slight shimmy from my front tire whenever I rode under 10 mph. First chance I got I checked out the front tire, someone else looked at the same time. We finally found a small flattened out section of the front wheel... shazbat. So far, minor problem.

After the trip to Cape May my wife and I decided to swing through Philadelphia and see my parents in Reading, PA. I got onto I-76 which is God awful in downtown Philadelphia. We were riding in brilliant sunshine and under one bridge it suddenly went to dark shadows. That was when I rode into a pothole which felt like a brick wall. I hit with enough force, once again, that my wife hit me like another ton of bricks and I was honestly scared she would propel me over the windshield but somehow I managed to stay on, keep the bike steady and continue on. We stopped in to see my parents and had a pleasant visit. On the ride back, however, even though I checked out the bike at every opportunity, I couldn't find anything wrong. But, what it felt like, was the frame had developed a hinge, I feared a broken frame. I managed to get the bike home, took off the plastic and inspected closely for a crack. My car was in the shop so I was forced to take the bike the next day, but I didn't fear it too much. As I took off from the home it seemed fine but when I accelerated upon entering the HOV lanes the bike began to shimmy, then wobble, and I was scared to death I was going to lose control. I drove more than carefully all the way downtown with no further incidents and contacted the dealer as soon as I could to schedule a visit. I ordered a new front wheel, that was a pretty chunk of change.

I drove on pins and needles the whole way to the dealer when the wheel finally arrived, scared to do anything. They replaced the front wheel and tire and then inspected the rear tire. I hadn't checked the tire pressure since I had parked the bike, and there was a nail in my awesome run-flat Kumho car tire and I only had about five PSI in the tire! When I hit the pothole or somewhere in Pennsylvania I must have picked up a nail... the dealer didn't have any car tires in stock (as if he would have possibly mounted a car tire on the bike), so I was forced to put on a standard MC tire. Over one grand... ouch!

I did NOT expect what I felt (after installing a MC tire on the rear), I constantly felt like I was losing control of the bike. Every turn I kept expecting to feel that slight resistance, where the bike was trying to keep me vertical, but instead felt like the bike was crashing to the ground. I literally had to relearn all over again, how to take a turn and ride a motorcycle. I realized I absolutely loved the extra stability the car tire afforded me and the run flat feature had literally saved my bacon in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania.

I've not returned to a car tire, because of a cutback in salary I can't afford it at the moment. In the meantime I'm taking it easy on a MC tire again. 'not liking it as much as my car tire, but at least I'm on the road again.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
That was an amazing story. I'm glad everything turned out ok for you!:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Glad you got her fixed up, and you didn't crash.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, y'all.

In retrospect and I'm a little glad nobody pointed out the obvious, I was a horse's patootie. I was one for not stopping as soon as I felt something was terribly out of place, I should have asked to get the bike trailered home. But I was too obstinate and stubborn (and too proud) to 'do the right thing'. I honestly could have killed my wife and myself.

I've watched the video of the biker seriously hurt on the Isle of Mann when he went into a terminal wobble. I've seen it on other bikes in races and when I experienced the same thing it scared the HE Double Hockey Sticks out of me. Let me put it this way. After the bike was fixed my wife and I rode down to Roanoke, VA, a four hour ride. Anytime I went into even a slight curve I kept expecting to feel the wobble. I was riding scared. No, that's not even correct, I was terrified. Going into a turn which was sharper I found myself in an absolute cold sweat. But we got down there alright. On the way back I was rested, had a lot more confidence, had thought through all my fears and confronted them. It took two more hours of riding to completely relearn how to ride again, only the last two hours were an absolute joy.

I'm going back to the darkside again, down the road... but if you ever go back to the light, you'll need to confront the completely different feeling. My anxiety was caused by an almost completely deflated rear tire, it was just made worse by losing the stability to which I was accustomed when using a car tire. Just my humble opinion... Nine years in Special Operations taught me to confront and overcome my fears and anxieties...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Joel,

I am running a Pirelli run flat on my 2001 and I ** had ** the same concern, a run flat losing air pressure and I not knowing it.

Solved -

Show Chrome make a TPMS that screws on to your valve stem that fits any bike. I am sitting here looking at the box; 209.95 and it works great. Will not ride without it. Just got back from a 6035 Mile tour of the west, it is supper cool to be able to check your tire pressure front and rear in seconds from the bike seat.

BTW - glad you and the misses are ok

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Thank-you for the post

Joel,

I am running a Pirelli run flat on my 2001 and I ** had ** the same concern, a run flat losing air pressure and I not knowing it.

Solved -

Show Chrome make a TPMS that screws on to your valve stem that fits any bike. I am sitting here looking at the box; 209.95 and it works great. Will not ride without it. Just got back from a 6035 Mile tour of the west, it is supper cool to be able to check your tire pressure front and rear in seconds from the bike seat.

BTW - glad you and the misses are ok
:agree: I thank-you for the post, and it's not easy to admit to the world the error of your ways. But it helps give words of wisdom to the rest of us. And agree with Bingle - I'm a strong believer in using a tpms.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=44456&str=0

·
Registered
879 Posts
:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I will take the advice on TPMS. Right now I'm doing the heavy lifting on a huge DARPA project and when the $ kick in I'll invest right away. Thanks to all of you!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
On the brighter side. You have experienced it, lived through it and if it ever happens again, I'm sure you will recognize what the problem is. Plus your story is a help and reminder to us, thanks!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Something to ponder. I see you were running a 205 55 16. There was someone else that had run if I remember correctly over 300 miles on a flat ROF, I think it was a Kuhmo also only in a 195 55 16. I am just wondering if the 195 55 16 allows better control in a flat tire situation.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm glad you're still in one piece! Riding on the Surekill (rt76) is bad enough in a car but on a bike with handling problems... wow.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the brighter side. You have experienced it, lived through it and if it ever happens again, I'm sure you will recognize what the problem is. Plus your story is a help and reminder to us, thanks!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Something to ponder. I see you were running a 205 55 16. There was someone else that had run if I remember correctly over 300 miles on a flat ROF, I think it was a Kuhmo also only in a 195 55 16. I am just wondering if the 195 55 16 allows better control in a flat tire situation.
Better control? All I know is that the 205 allowed me to do almost 500 miles before I realized it...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Just wondering why you didn't just put a plug in the rear tire and go on your merry way...They also make a steel cap now that you can order to check your air pressure at a glance..They are well worth the 8 or 10 dollars a piece for these...They also make a plastic cap but from what I have heard they can not be trusted..

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked them to plug the tire and the dealer declined...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
So glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

It won't be long and you'll be reporting on the new CT.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A TPMS Question

After 50K+ on CT's, a friend of mine who recently made the conversion, who runs a TPMS (I currently don't) was telling me he couldn't run his Dunlop Wintersport at a reduced pressure because of his TPMS. The one listed on this board, from Big Bike Parts, does it simply monitor the pressure? I'd be interested in that, but not in something that auto-refills the tire on perceiving a low pressure warning, or that blinks an annoying light at you constantly. First CT I wore out the middle (36psi). The succeeding ones have gone much further with not over 28psi (20k on the Goodyear Ultra Guard/Grip/whatever). Everyone swears by these things, and I don't mind something that's wireless.

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
...The one listed on this board, from Big Bike Parts, does it simply monitor the pressure? ...
Any help appreciated
Yes, it monitors pressure and temperature, I like mine, a lot.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
After 50K+ on CT's, a friend of mine who recently made the conversion, who runs a TPMS (I currently don't) was telling me he couldn't run his Dunlop Wintersport at a reduced pressure because of his TPMS. The one listed on this board, from Big Bike Parts, does it simply monitor the pressure? I'd be interested in that, but not in something that auto-refills the tire on perceiving a low pressure warning, or that blinks an annoying light at you constantly. First CT I wore out the middle (36psi). The succeeding ones have gone much further with not over 28psi (20k on the Goodyear Ultra Guard/Grip/whatever). Everyone swears by these things, and I don't mind something that's wireless.

Any help appreciated

Like the post above said, monotors pressure and temp, also has alarm (audio and visual), light for night, you can set the alarm limits to what ever you want or just turn it off,
Pressure can be read in a number of different functions, bars, psi and a couple of more, temp in F. or C.

Great little tool and the price has dropped since I bought mine.

I have mine velcroed to the dash so that I can just pull it off and drop it in the Left Hand Pocket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts