GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I use them with a modified Harbor freight. The mounting bar is a little light for the E3s but works for removing the tires. The no mar spoons work well.

The mount/dismount bar works great on my Vrod tires but the side walls are not as stiff as the E3's.

G

·
Haste Maker, there is no comparison between the HF unit and the Nomar . There is little to no chance of marking a rim unless you did somthing real, real stupid . You can even change the tires out on Carbon fiber wheels . It doesn'tget any better or easier , the wheel hold down system works great, and if you use the sppons on a Wing tire you will be amazed at how smooth it is . I suspect they would help on the HF unit as well . I suppose the mounting bar would work also . But if your spending money for all that extra stuff why not get the Nomar right off the bat ? Change out 30 tires and the cost of the unit is recovered .
If you can afford it and want a quality built unit that will last,this is it . Heck you can even change out your car/truck tires out on it . :)

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joseph in what way did you modify the Harbor Freight changer? I now have the Harbor Freight changer and don't want to spent the money on another changer if I can get out of it.

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
i have a homemade rig for holding the motorcycle wheel, its made from an old car wheel

i use the Nomar mount-dismount bar to remove the tires only and it works very good

use the 4 Nomar spoons to mount the tires and they are incredible !

if u buy any of the Nomar stuff b sure to get the free video and watch it a few times to pick up on some good tips to make the job easier, good quallity tire lube is very important, u can buy a whole gallon at NAPA for $7 so i wouldn't mess with trying to make your own with soap and water

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hastemaker... I got the tips and idea from another here on the forum. Ill see if I can find the pictures and email them to you. After removing the clamps I coated the resting points for the rim with smooth coat torch down roofign material. No scratchs and accomplished with scraps.

Id like to have the No mar maching but for a a couple sets a year I just cant justify the cost.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the Nomar with all the attachments (I have quite a few bikes) including balancer, etc. For me, it works as advertised.

I know there are much cheaper systems, but i have seen some people scratch their wheels pretty badly with them, and if anyone could do that it would be me :shock:

I have changed the spoke wheels on my 12GS, alloys on the Ducati, etc. Plan to do the WIng pretty soon :lol:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Haste Maker said:
Has anyone used this tire changer
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/
if so how would rate the system?

Also how do you think the mounting bar & the
21" No-Mar SpoonBars would work with a harbor freight tire changer?
Thanks
I have the Jr Pro and it is AWESOME!!! :yes1: :yes1:

Mike :s13:

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
If I were starting over again, I would likely splurge for the NoMar stand, but do not do enough tires to really justify the cost. I use a Harbor freight set-up and NoMar spoons. I coated tne HF rim clamps with the dip in type tool handle plastic coating. When I demount I leave the clamps loose and put a heavy wooden bar down through the cast spokes to foul the wheel from turning and then snug down the rim clamps. I use teh HF long bar to demount and duck tpae as the rim protection, I had NO luck at all with the NoMar bar.. THe NoMAr spoon set puts no torque on the wheel so no bar or clamps are really needed in that stage. Warm tires, good lube, clean rims are a big help.

prs

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
If I were starting over again, I would likely splurge for the NoMar stand, but do not do enough tires to really justify the cost. I use a Harbor freight set-up and NoMar spoons. I coated tne HF rim clamps with the dip in type tool handle plastic coating. When I demount I leave the clamps loose and put a heavy wooden bar down through the cast spokes to foul the wheel from turning and then snug down the rim clamps. I use teh HF long bar to demount and duck tpae as the rim protection, I had NO luck at all with the NoMar bar.. THe NoMAr spoon set puts no torque on the wheel so no bar or clamps are really needed in that stage. Warm tires, good lube, clean rims are a big help.

prs
This is about motorcycles, a hobby, a passion, a necessity, no justification is required!!! :lol:

Unless you're married.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
This is about motorcycles, a hobby, a passion, a necessity, no justification is required!!! :lol:

Unless you're married.[/quote]

Or, tighter than Dick's hatband.

prs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts