GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body using no mar tire tools to change your own tires? I am looking at buying there new spoons for the gw and the mount dismount bar. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
NoMar tire tool

I can't speak for the spoons,but the tire tool is not strong enough for the Dunlop tires.I don't know what brand of tires they use in their demo,but it is not the same in the real world. The nylon pins bend and won't work.Don't waste your money like I did.....Jim

·
Registered
787 Posts
The No-Mar tire spoons work very well when used as shown in their instructional video.

The demount bar with their new improved tips works to remove the tire, but not to install it. The GL1800 radial sidewalls are simply too stiff.

No-Mar will replace the original white plastic tips on the demount bar with the stronger black plastic tips which have a thicker metal core. My bar works 100% better with the new tips.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Bill, what did you have to do to get the tips replaced? I have one of their bars that is just gathering dust.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ted,

The No-Mar Mount/Demount Bar has a lifetime replacement tip exchange.

I simply called or emailed them (can't remember which), explained the tip bending problem with GL1800 tires, and they promptly sent out my replacement tips. I have demounted five tires with the new tips with no problems.

The first few tire changes were a struggle. :twisted: After reviewing the new videos on the No-Mar web site specifically for stiff walled tires and following their procedure, the next several were a snap. :wink:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
i have the No Mar tools, 4 spoons and one mount dismount bar

the mount dismount bar came with extra tips, i only use it for dismounting tires, did 4 sets so far and the original tips are still in decent shape

i use the No Mar spoons for mounting the tires and they work great, the front is very easy, the rear takes a little more effort, b sure to use plenty of lube, an extra helper can make a big difference when doing the rear wheel

watch the video that comes with the tools closely it can b a big help, after u do a set watch the video again u might notice something u didn't notice the first time

i figure my No Mar tools have paid for themselves already and they will last a lifetime

·
Registered
24 Posts
No Mar Tools

Purchased No Mar Professional JR kit.
Have used for ten tire changes including automobiles.
The spoons are a must for the GL 1800 tire install. Follow the video, use the wooden blocks, spoons work well.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Their long bar is junk IMHO, mine bent and the tips bent over too. The spoon set works like a charm!

prs

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered the 4 spoons and there lube and I watched there video twice before i tackled it and they are amazing how easy the rear tire went on! I am thinking about there mount/dismount bar.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Their long bar is junk IMHO, mine bent and the tips bent over too. The spoon set works like a charm!

prs
Well, the use of their mount/demount bar is highly technique sensitive when working with our Wing tires. Our tires are so darn stout that the reinforced plastic tip will either bend or fail if you don't develope the finesse. They have even further reinforced the plastic tip with a 1/2 inch piece of rod stock but I got ham handed with the process and failed the plastic just beyond the rod.

Their customer service is commendable. I contacted Steve, the owner of No Mar, and me being a local customer, he offered to come out to the house for a demo. Well I gathered a few of my fellow riders at the house and Steve gave us a demo/tutorial. It turned out to be a learning process for all of us. He had put on other brands of Wing tires on and none had been as stiff as our Dunlop E3's. Even using the spoons we worked up a sweat when all was done. At the time I suggested making the spoons a bit longer to ease the install on these stiff tires. He agreed that it would certainly help and intends to add them to the product line.

Monday I stopped by their shop and I was presented a set of the new longer spoons. We are waiting on some tires to come in right now so will be trying the new longer spoons shortly. It should make the task a good bit easier.

BTW, if ordering anything from them right now you might encounter a slight delay. When I stopped by they were busily packing and loading a truck. They are relocating from a 3000sqft shop to one that is 10000sqft. They will now be located nearly in my backyard of Fenton, Missouri, just a few minutes from my house.

Bottom line...if you go the route of No Mar, get the long spoons. It's all a matter of technique and lubricant. :eek:4: :yes: :biker:

·
Registered
344 Posts
21" for the longer spoons vs 16" for the shorter. The shorter length worked fine with the stiff Dunlops but a bit more leverage is very welcome. I'll use the shorter ones on the first half of the tire and the longer on the second half where the tire needs to be muscled those last few inches onto the wheel. Again, don't forget to lightly "butter" the spoon with lube where it will be in direct contact with the tire rubber. Steve also kept emphasising to take small steps of a few inches at a time while working the tire onto the wheel. Keeping that in mind made the job go considerably easier. Mind you, you will still work up a sweat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts