GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I finally got the Shorai battery that was on back order.
My Interstate/Yuasa battery died while waiting for it and the bike had little if any power on it for about a week or so. I installed the battery and it fired right up. I did not ride the bike for a few more days and today, I took it out and I look down and nothing is showing in the meter panel. No CB/AVC/AMB/CD/FM/AM/nothing! I figure it might have the audio fuse blown, and when I got stopped again, I pull the fuses and they are all OK.
No sound nothing! I'm wondering what happened. I did nothing with the meter panel. Meter panel does show trip mileage and miles and temp. Did not touch the wrong cables together.
I had one suggestion that maybe the connectors on the audio system might have some corrosion and while sitting with no voltage for a week might have really gotten corroded and conduct no power now.
Anybody got some good ideas. I'm looking at the least pulling the radio and maybe sending it off to have it looked at. Don't want to get it back and plug it in and have the same results.
Buckskin

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no meter panel readout

Whoaa! I think you may have hit on something. I have a garage door opener hooked up on this rear PTT that was not working, and I just put a battery in it and it did not work after I all this. I will undue this in the morning.
Thanks for the idea, By the way, why would the PTT make every go away?

QUOTE=techdude2000;3357692]Pull fuse #22 and wait a few minutes, reinstall and try everything again. Passenger PTT stuck on?[/QUOTE]

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
If any button is being pushed when it turns on, the microprocessor in the audio unit can't initialize. The PTT is one of the switches/buttons that can cause it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Does your bike have the GPS with a Kennedy Nav timer in it?
If it does check out a couple of these threads on display blank.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2464273
I had my bike in for valve check, and new battery, at dealers. When i went to pick it up the display was blank. Turns out the Kennedy Nav timer lost its ground. I took the timer out and it came on and worked. Fred H. suggested putting unit back in and hooking ground wire directly to battery and it now works.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tech,
You are the MAN!!!! That little hint you gave me did the trick. A couple of years ago, I put a garage door opener across those two wires on the passenger PTT and used it to open the door. Recently it got to where it did not work all the time (sorta like the battery was running down) and while all this battery change out took place, I got a new battery to put in the opener. When I opened it up, there was no battery! I was confused and went ahead and stuck the battery in there. Closed it up and the rest you know. I just went out and removed the battery from the opener and everything came back on the screen. The battery across the terminals was like holding down the PTT.
Thanks for the insight.
Buckskin

If any button is being pushed when it turns on, the microprocessor in the audio unit can't initialize. The PTT is one of the switches/buttons that can cause it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts