GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO MORE WOBBLE!!!! 8)

For the first 30,000 miles my 01 1800 never wobbled, then a wobble started gradually. After a couple months it turned into a real shaker. I am convinced that the "hands-off" test would have resulted in a crash if left to shake. After trying all the suggested wobble remedies to no avail, I finally found someone who claimed to have a cure for the front end wobble on GL1800s. Gary Verhulst of Verhulst Bines-N-Trikes @ Maysville, Ga. has been replacing the steering stem ball bearings with tapered roller bearings with good results.

I purchased the bearing kit from Gary and went to work. Be warned that it is a BIG job. Unless you are pretty good with a wrench, you may want to farm it out to a local shop. A bearing press will be needed along with some special tools to insert the new races, (I made mine by grinding a couple 3/4 drive sockets to fit the outer edge of the races). I spent about seven hours (including replacing the fork springs with progressives) doing the change-out. Gary charges four hours labor for the job.

After completion, I spent about an hour riding, determined to see if I had wasted my money or if all that work was worth it.. Of the numerous times I coasted from 50 mph to 20 mph I never experienced a wobble. Before the change, it would shake violently under the same conditions unless I quickly grabbed the bars to stop the wobble.

Will it be a permanent fix? Don't know. Time will tell. I do know that I've been trying to stop this head shake for eighteen months with three different brands of tires, different pressure, re-torquing the steering bearings twice, and the Super Brace (don't waste your money). Hopefully it's now fixed for good.

The bearing kit is from ALL BALLS Racing Products, Steering Bearing Kit # 22-1037. Gary stocks them and charges $50.00 plus shipping. You may find them cheaper from a bearing house, however I could not find a supplier of that kit on my limited search of the internet.

Greg Bailey
Newnan, Ga.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tapered Roller Steering head bearings

:) Greg, thanks for the information. I tried getting info on these bearings several months ago from my regular bearing supplier in California, but at that time he didn't have the specs on the ball bearings.
The kit that Gary offers sounds like the way to go. Glad to hear that the swap has helped as much as you say it has.
Still can't imagine why Honda used ball bearings in a bike this heavy, and with its capabilities.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just installed the All Balls steering head bearing kit in my 01 this weekend, haven't been able to ride(raining)I couldn't keep the stock "ball bearings" tight had to retorque them twice in 52K. Mine didn't wobble but I sure didn't like the feeling in the steering when it was loose. Hopefuly this will fix it. Got my kit at Gary's Hobbie Shop 770-914-0407 he stocks it and will ship.
Rain finally stopped. Got to ride some today 02/16/04 all is well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts