GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just called and said there is an arictle on the internet stating that Honda will not be building Goldwings after the 2009 year. I can not find anything to verify this info. Anyone else heard of this???:shrug:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Gotta be true, being as it was on the internet!!!:nojoke:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nope, I kind of doubt there is any truth to that, but I guess time will tell.:beer3:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed, I have not heard this anywhere. I could not imagine Honda droping the flagship touring cycle just my .02

I am sure Hal will chime in when he can

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think it may... or they may discontinue for a year or two , these economic times could be tough for a new 25k bike .

Car manufactures are cutting lines... I think Saturn is going bye-bye too... don't be surprised.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've got a cousin in LA that has a friend in Denver that knows someone in New Orleans that said the same thing, must be true.

·
Registered
249 Posts
He might have misinterpreted an article about Honda closing the motorcycle operations in Marysville OH and thought that meant no more Goldwings.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
:eek:4:i just read it so it must be true

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My neighbor has a cleaning lady, whose boyfriend's sister said her niece knows a guy in Ohio who got the same info

Gotta be true

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Doesn't this same rumor come up about every 6 months on this board??

·
Registered
328 Posts
:joke:​

Wait 9 months and see if mother Honda is pregnant. :oops: Could have octuplets' ya know (these models only sold in California). :tongue: All kinds of new models for the rest of US (maybe). :shrug:

:joke:​

·
Registered
361 Posts
Found on Internet post!

Information was leaked today by the American Honda design group in
California after the announcement that the Ohio Honda motorcycle plant
will be closing and all operations moved back to Japan in 2010, that the
touring segment of their line will include only one model, in two
variations, for the 2010 model year. The European designed ST1300 and
the American designed Goldwing GL1800 will be discontinued, replaced by
a single model. This design will blend the attributes of both, being a
high performance shallow angle 1600cc V6 design of approximately 150hp,
backed by a 6 speed transmission, and single sided swing arm, mounted in
an all new aluminum frame. Standard features will include ABS, traction
control, and a riders airbag. It will be available in a sport variation
without an integrated trunk, and a touring model which will include a
trunk, along with integrated GPS and wireless rider to passenger
communication. Both will feature integrated side bags, a rider
adjustable windshield, and a long list of available comfort and
performance options.

Doug Graves
Camas, WA

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yup, the goldwing will go the way of the silver wing be replaced by the Platinum Wing.:joke::joke::joke::joke:
And then they'll come out with a new scooter and name that the Goldwing :wrong:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just got this email from a good friend of mine:

Hey gang, I attended the International Motorcycle Show today and talked to the folks from Honda and this is what they had to say.
The 2010 Goldwing is in production in Marysville, OH as we speak. Yes, Marysville, OH. There are little changes to the 2010 as has been the case on the 2009. You probably won't see much change on the 2011 as well. They feel that they have a good product which is selling very well and why change it...
The 2011 Goldwing WILL be produced in Japan, again expecting little change.
As far as the Honda Homecoming for 2009, they are still trying to decide on whether to hold it or not.
Honda has a couple of new street bikes, the Fury and the DN-01. If you would like a picture of either one or both, let me know and I will send them to you.

·
Vendor
21,887 Posts
This should be a fun thread to watch. :popcorn:
By now, Honda should be full into the pre-production planning stages for the GL1800 replacement. However, I can see how it might get slid to the right due to the poor economy, but I can't see Honda tooling up a new factory in Japan for a model that is going to change in a year or two. They would just have to turn around and retool the whole assembly line at great expense.

My bet is that the first GoldWing that rolls off the assembly line in Japan (whenever that is) won't be a GL1800 as we currently know it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts