GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny, just yesterday I was examining the front end on my new 22 Tour, and thinking exactly the same thing, how nice no fork tubes.

I still don't yet know how this new fangled front end works, and I expect it will have a problem or two caused by the design. A couple of the used Wings I looked at while searching for a Wing had lots of play in the connecting links. Even at low miles. These bikes had less than 10k on them, so I would be surprised if wear and tear. I pointed it out to the salesmen and of course they knew nothing about it. You could look down the stem while moving the bars back and forth, and see a LOT of play between the links and the actual stem.

My new 22 has no such play in it.

·
Registered
17,721 Posts
Same here! I have had enough of that stinky stuff.

prs

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
512 Posts
Hmm, I didn't realize that Honda had some kind of a chronic problem with fork seals in past gen's. I've owned at least 20 bikes over the years - none were Honda's, but Harley's, various Kawasaki Ninjas, Suzuki RM's, and none ever had fork seal issues. However, to the replies above, it does seem that the links are a weak point. Naturally Max has a solution, pricy, but a solution nonetheless.

·
Administrator
5,062 Posts
Hmm, I didn't realize that Honda had some kind of a chronic problem with fork seals in past gen's. I've owned at least 20 bikes over the years - none were Honda's, but Harley's, various Kawasaki Ninjas, Suzuki RM's, and none ever had fork seal issues. However, to the replies above, it does seem that the links are a weak point. Naturally Max has a solution, pricy, but a solution nonetheless.
I haven't had many, just a couple, of seal leaks over the last 16 years of riding GL1800s. That's not a big problem. However, the recommended rebuilds every 20,000 miles are an annual pain in the patooty!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Funny, just yesterday I was examining the front end on my new 22 Tour, and thinking exactly the same thing, how nice no fork tubes.

I still don't yet know how this new fangled front end works, and I expect it will have a problem or two caused by the design. A couple of the used Wings I looked at while searching for a Wing had lots of play in the connecting links. Even at low miles. These bikes had less than 10k on them, so I would be surprised if wear and tear. I pointed it out to the salesmen and of course they knew nothing about it. You could look down the stem while moving the bars back and forth, and see a LOT of play between the links and the actual stem.

My new 22 has no such play in it.
You "expect" a problem with that front end, even after 4 years of its proven reliability? I doubt you'll find any problems with it. While we've only had our new-to-us '18 Tour DCT Airbag in Candy Ardent Red for about 6 months now and have only put about 4,000 miles on it, I think, without a doubt, that the newer wishbone style front end if LIGHT YEARS above what the previous generations had. It's soooooooo much smoother in all types of road surface conditions.

Now, this is my opinion of that front end. Others apparently don't think so. They HAVE to change something or they're not happy. These new Wings are an outstanding motorcycle right out of the box!
Scott

·
Administrator
5,062 Posts
You "expect" a problem with that front end, even after 4 years of its proven reliability? I doubt you'll find any problems with it. While we've only had our new-to-us '18 Tour DCT Airbag in Candy Ardent Red for about 6 months now and have only put about 4,000 miles on it, I think, without a doubt, that the newer wishbone style front end if LIGHT YEARS above what the previous generations had. It's soooooooo much smoother in all types of road surface conditions.

Now, this is my opinion of that front end. Others apparently don't think so. They HAVE to change something or they're not happy. These new Wings are an outstanding motorcycle right out of the box!
Scott
I've often wondered about that myself. I remember a post by Fred Harmon (and Fred, I'm sure you'll remember this too) shortly after Honda let some noted luminaries ride the new wings in the Texas Hill Country. Fred posted a picture of him catching air under both wheels of the new wing when he was packing double during the test ride. He said that the new suspension was light years ahead of the older Wings' suspension.

Of course, I suppose that anything can be improved, for the stock suspension is built for the average rider, and some of our riders are far from average.

Glen

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred posted a picture of him catching air under both wheels of the new wing when he was packing double during the test ride.
Who me? That must have been someone else.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,823 Posts
Hmmm, 103,000 miles and still no play in tie rods.
Have you actually checked the play in the steering with the correct procedure? I checked the steering play with my bike at around 4400 miles and the play was .25". I replaced the tie-rod with a Traxxion unit and that brought the steering back into Honda's spec.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Who me? That must have been someone else.
Oh now the preverbal cat's out of the bag! Next you'll see Fred in one of those exhibitionist shows where he'll be doing back-flips on his Wing!
Scott

Have you actually checked the play in the steering with the correct procedure? I checked the steering play with my bike at around 4400 miles and the play was .25". I replaced the tie-rod with a Traxxion unit and that brought the steering back into Honda's spec.
".25"???
Hmmmm. I'm wondering. Typically .250 would correlate to 1/4" of an inch, in SAE terms. That's a SERIOUS amount of play in ANY steering system, much less a 4,400 mile motorcycle. If you meant .25mm, that's equal to around .009 of an inch. And that's pretty darn tough to feel in any steering system. Not doubting any of your statement, just wondering.
Scott

·
Registered
512 Posts
The new suspension design is way improved over the previous wing. The shocks however are underdamped and undersprung. The rebound damping is way too soft. When I would hit a good dip in the road the bike would through me up off the seat. That never happened on my K1600 on the same road at the same speed. Or my 2009 wing for that matter. That is why I have traxxion shocks. Thanks to Fred for the install !

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
986 Posts
".25"???
Hmmmm. I'm wondering. Typically .250 would correlate to 1/4" of an inch, in SAE terms. That's a SERIOUS amount of play in ANY steering system, much less a 4,400 mile motorcycle. If you meant .25mm, that's equal to around .009 of an inch. And that's pretty darn tough to feel in any steering system. Not doubting any of your statement, just wondering.
Scott
The play is measured at the end of the handlebar with a steering bridge lock pin installed. The spec is 5mm. 0.25" is 6.35mm so it's just out of spec. 4400 miles is a bit soon for that to happen but some are loose from the start.

You also need to make sure the lock pin has no play whatsoever otherwise you get a false indication.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
For me, doing fork oil and seals/bushings considerably less often as 3/5 of my miles are on the 2018. I sometimes just change fork oil only on my AK-22 fork tubes on my 2010 just because of the miles. The only hard part is not making a mess off the plastic I put down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes absolutely! Actually I have completely disassembled the entire front end including the removal of the front forks and steering head and both tie rods.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,823 Posts
Oh now the preverbal cat's out of the bag! Next you'll see Fred in one of those exhibitionist shows where he'll be doing back-flips on his Wing!
Scott

".25"???
Scott
I checked the steering play at the time not because it felt loose but because of all the talk on this forum at the time..so I ordered the steering pin from Traxxion and checked the steering play just because I was curious...turns out it was out of spec at 4400 miles or so back in 2018. I replaced the OEM tie rod with a Traxxion tie rod because 1... I didn't want to deal with the dealer and the warranty over such a easy fix.. and 2... the Traxxion tie rod is a higher quality part than the OEM part and I wanted the tie rod issue fixed for good.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
512 Posts
I checked the steering play at the time not because it felt loose but because of all the talk on this forum at the time..so I ordered the steering pin from Traxxion and checked the steering play just because I was curious...turns out it was out of spec at 4400 miles or so back in 2018. I replaced the OEM tie rod with a Traxxion tie rod because 1... I didn't want to deal with the dealer and the warranty over such a easy fix.. and 2... the Traxxion tie rod is a higher quality part than the OEM part and I wanted the tie rod issue fixed for good.
Ultimately, did you immediately notice a difference?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts