GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got up bright and early so I could get to Maxim Motorsports in Allen, TX to take advantage of my 30% discount coupon which I received over a month ago. The coupon was only good for today on any accessory item. I had already picked out the Kury Fork Brace which they had priced at $219.95. With the discount, that would make it $154 and change + tax (around $168), not a bad deal.

I confirmed with the girl checking me out that I could get the 30% discount and she said yes, but when she rang me up, the total was $182! When I asked why so much she said it was $239 because the price had changed in their system. I pointed out to her that the price marked on the back of the package said $219.95. She had the parts manager come over and he said she could sell it to me for $219.95 BUT NOT WITH THE 30% DISCOUNT!

I was infuriated. It was a 45 minute drive each way from my house. Even though the $182 price is still less than I can get it from HDL, I will buy from Hal. Screw Maxim. I should have known better, this is the same dealership that WOULD NOT EVEN GIVE ME A QUOTE on a new 2007 Goldwing. I ended up going to Missouri to buy my new bike (I paid cash by the way).

Just wanted to vent my frustration, forgive me.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The $154. was prolly lower than their cost.

Got any New stuff for sale that you wanna lose money on - I'll be right over. :oops:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Sorry but I have to go with BigBird on this. Maxim screwed up.

mr.b said:
The $154. was prolly lower than their cost.

Got any New stuff for sale that you wanna lose money on - I'll be right over. :oops:
I managed retail for years. If I mispriced an item on the shelf, or sticker, I honored the price and any additional discount. If the item was mispriced and the the coupon did not exclude the item, then I ate the loss. (By the by my stores always made a ton of money and I kept customers opening the doors because they are what kept me in business).

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add that the Kury brace had been in their stock AT THE $219.95 PRICE for over a month. He did not say it was "mispriced", he said that they recently increased their prices and had just not put the new sticker on the item. Sorry, but that is BS as far as I am concerned. Not only poor customer service, but deceptive and misleading.

·
Registered
320 Posts
BigBird05 said:
This morning I got up bright and early so I could get to Maxim Motorsports in Allen, TX to take advantage of my 30% discount coupon which I received over a month ago. The coupon was only good for today on any accessory item. I had already picked out the Kury Fork Brace which they had priced at $219.95. With the discount, that would make it $154 and change + tax (around $168), not a bad deal.

I confirmed with the girl checking me out that I could get the 30% discount and she said yes, but when she rang me up, the total was $182! When I asked why so much she said it was $239 because the price had changed in their system. I pointed out to her that the price marked on the back of the package said $219.95. She had the parts manager come over and he said she could sell it to me for $219.95 BUT NOT WITH THE 30% DISCOUNT!

I was infuriated. It was a 45 minute drive each way from my house. Even though the $182 price is still less than I can get it from HDL, I will buy from Hal. Screw Maxim. I should have known better, this is the same dealership that WOULD NOT EVEN GIVE ME A QUOTE on a new 2007 Goldwing. I ended up going to Missouri to buy my new bike (I paid cash by the way).

Just wanted to vent my frustration, forgive me.
Bigbird05,
Your right they are the worst in the area. Lambs is not to bad and DFW Honda over in Grapevine is not bad either. I had DFW just do a warranty item on my 06 and they were great even though I did not purchase from them.

Ride Safe,
JD

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
In Michigan, the law states the the item must be sold as marked. Report the problem to the Attorney General and the BBB. If nothing else, you may save someone else a hassle.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I would have made a scene also, threaten to report to BBB for not selling at Priced at Marked! They would have Sold it to you, then tell them that you would never be back.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
BigBird05 said:
I should add that the Kury brace had been in their stock AT THE $219.95 PRICE for over a month. He did not say it was "mispriced", he said that they recently increased their prices and had just not put the new sticker on the item. Sorry, but that is BS as far as I am concerned. Not only poor customer service, but deceptive and misleading.
I'm sure that Texas has a consumer protection department for just such practices. I'd give them a call and get their opinion...worth a try. Personally, I would give that business a wide berth and let as many people know how you got "hosed" :cus:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure if I had made a "scene" they would have relented and sold it to me. My style is less confrontational. I just figured I would warn the folks on this board and vow never to do business there again. My SO said if she had been with me, they would have GIVEN the fork brace to me just to get rid of her! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
BigBird,

You might want to post your experience on the Two Wheeled Texans web site and let other's here in our state know what happened.

Ed W.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to Hijack

I had a similar experience with a local Honda dealer few years ago. I went to the parts counter and asked for the price of oil filters for two different Hondas. One was a CBR1100XX, the other for a GL1800. The price of the filter for the CBR was nearly $6 higher than the GL!! When I asked for the Parts Manager, there was other customers that were interested in what was going on. The manager told me the price was justified because the quality of the filter element that is spec'd in the CBR filter. I thought what a crock!! I've been riding Hondas long enough to know he was full of it.
"Give me the filters."
"You mean to tell me there is a different filter element in THIS filter?"
"Yup."
"Then why the Hell do they have the SAME part number?"

As you can imagine, there was quite an argument, and colorful scene.

By the time the smoke cleared, the owner of the dealership had made his way over. He handled the transaction, and offered a small discount.

The next time I went in to pay the parts department a visit, I found out the Parts Manager had been fired. I asked why. The parts counterman said, "For price fixing."

He got what he deserved!!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
a company is only good as their word.... i would have NOT bought it there either..... spend your cash elsewhere from now on... hope their misleading
advertizing catches up with them...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
On another note (we've used her cingular phone on MC trips), my GF took her phone to the local MAIN cingular store, and told the girl that her phone would shut off when she closed it, and that she had bought a warranty for this type of problem. The sales girl did something to it, then it quit completely. We told her that we'd been having trouble with cingular phones since she signed up. They told her that she'd bought it at a different store, and she should take it there for warranty work. I told her, loud enough so that everyone could hear, that my Tracfone has never failed me, and that it always works when cingular doesn't. On the way out, I saw a friend of mine, and I yelled to him to get a Tracfone as a backup.

And, while we're on the subject of rip-offs, my epson all-in-one quit again, just over two years old. I hardly use the damn thing. I had bought a two year warranty on it, but Staples said that it runs from the day of purchase, not after the mfr. warranty (1 year). So I told him that I had in fact bought a 1 yr warranty, as epson had already replaced the printer once. Basically....yes. So much for ext. warranties.

But, I did talk with one of the associates there, and he told me that HP was the much better of all the printers. (I've had cannon, epson, and lexmark also). He said that HP and lexmark use ink carts that have the print heads built into them, so you get a new print head with every cart.

The epson is now just a scanner, as it won't print at all; the lexmark is still the backup, and the HP laser jet is the primary. If I never needed color, I'd just use the laser.

Thanks for letting me vent; didn't mean to hijack the thread. And now, back to our story....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
And, while we're on the subject of rip-offs, my epson all-in-one quit again, just over two years old. I hardly use the damn thing.
Boy that is something...I have had nothing but good luck with my Epson Photo RX600 and nothing but bad luck with HP color printers and scanners. Go figure!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The stealer could have chosen from two outcomes.

1: Sell the Kury brace for 30% off marked price and lose a few dollars, or
2: Deny the coupon discount on the price marked on the package and lose a customer who will share the bad experience with others.

I wonder if this thread will find its way back to the owner of the dealership? And if the owner will care?

Wonderful thing about Capitalism; it's brutal but its efficient. Vote with your wallet.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Re: Not to Hijack

TrappersWING said:
I had a similar experience with a local Honda dealer few years ago. I went to the parts counter and asked for the price of oil filters for two different Hondas. One was a CBR1100XX, the other for a GL1800. The price of the filter for the CBR was nearly $6 higher than the GL!! When I asked for the Parts Manager, there was other customers that were interested in what was going on. The manager told me the price was justified because the quality of the filter element that is spec'd in the CBR filter. I thought what a crock!! I've been riding Hondas long enough to know he was full of it.
"Give me the filters."
"You mean to tell me there is a different filter element in THIS filter?"
"Yup."
"Then why the Hell do they have the SAME part number?"

As you can imagine, there was quite an argument, and colorful scene.

By the time the smoke cleared, the owner of the dealership had made his way over. He handled the transaction, and offered a small discount.

The next time I went in to pay the parts department a visit, I found out the Parts Manager had been fired. I asked why. The parts counterman said, "For price fixing."

He got what he deserved!!

LOL.

I had the same deal with an automotive wholesaler years ago...... I had 2 filters of the same vehicle application side by side........ a "standard grade" and "high grade" . The cannisters "both" had the same small imprinted number on the bottom.

I asked "why" .... :shock: I was told that was just a manufacturing number to "ID" the filter before the part numbers and logos were imprinted....

I smiled :D and asked the same question: How can one filter be 4 buck$ more ? They have the same manufacturing numbers on the bottoms of the cans.

8)

I stopped buying from the supplier

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
BigBird05,
What they did was just plain wrong. If the price was marked and they gave you a discount coupon they should have honoured it regardless. So what if they had to take a small loss on one item to please a customer. That's whats called INTEGRITY and customer service two things that are in very short supply these days. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Fork Braces, printers, scanners, phones ... hmmmm ..... the common denominator is people.

Guys, before you walk out on a company, try to talk to the highest authority on site, the owner if it is a small business.

You are dealing with employees in most cases. Trust me, after 28 years of having employees I know that they are not all created equal and the one thing they do best is cash paychecks. But believe it or not, some of them cannot even get that straight.

I also think that this thread violates Hal's request to not speak badly of other businesses on HIS website because while you may think you are being non-confrontational, you may in fact be dragging Hal into the middle of this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't know what they do in Texas but in Mich. the law says that they must sell it to you at the price marked and the coupon is good too.
===============
BigBird05 said:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
30%

Believe me, there is more than a 30% Going In Gross on Kury Parts.

Now replacing that same item with a cost increase may have put the new cost over what it sold for but Motorsports should have honored the sticker price and coupon. Jes good business.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts