GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure a lot of you already know about this. Whenever I wear my half helmet I hear things I don"t hear with my full helmet including that dad blasted rattling coming from the rear of the bike when going across a bumpy area of the road. Many would say "wear your full helmet all the time" but I like my half helmet in the 98 degree heat taking a short jaunt. I tried everything including checking the integrity of my luggage rack and spoiler etc, removing the helmet hangers, etc.. After removing stuff from the bike and still hearing the rattling, I decided to take a closer look in the trunk and the back around the passenger seat. There are metal hinges in the trunk that move when you go over bumps so I used the soft section of a velcro strip and laid in under where the hinges meet. I also put the foam style insulation strips around the doors on each side of the small storage compartments on each side of the passenger seat. Rattles are now completely gone. :popcorn:
So if you are tired of hearing the rattling noises coming from your trunk, buy some stips of velcro and foam insulation strips and eliminate all the rattles.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I just turn up the radio.:joke:

I'll have to give that a try, I did something with the trunk lid right away, it helped but it's still there. I figured I would just live with it. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just turn up the radio.:joke:

I'll have to give that a try, I did something with the trunk lid right away, it helped but it's still there. I figured I would just live with it. Thanks for posting.
Yup, I did the radio and full face thing and you don't hear the rattles. But whenever I want quite riding with my 1/2 helmet the rattles are not good to listen to. I guess everyone has their demons, mine is rattles on a bike or car. Glad I got rid of them on the bike. Snake rattles are not good either :22yikes:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I also have been chasing the ellusive rattle. I put the tape on the right hinge a few weeks ago and it still rattled. When I saw this post I bought a weather strip roll at Home Depot and did the following: 1) put in female part of trunk hinge both sides, 2) attached to underneath each hinge both sides 3) added foam around entire cubby compartments under rear speakers. I already put the Wingrider.com trunk support on to eliminate chaffing and lid rattle. Finally after all this time I have a rattle free Wing!!!! Like riding a new bike. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts