GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys on my 'Wing (2007 NAV, ABS).

A while back I needed to jump-start it, so I hooked up the booster pack to the batt. terms, turned it on, and nothing. Hit the BOOST button on the pack and still nothing. Looked at the wires, and, dummy me...The previous owner had wired in a battery maintainer and had hooked up a quick-connect wire pack to the battery. Unknown to me (until I looked closer), he had home-wired in a black wire to POS and a red wire to NEG. Dummy me hooked up the booster pack backwards and fried things.

Checked the following:
  • Replaced the main fusible links (2).
  • Checked (with test light and test meter) all fuses and relays.
  • Replaced the NAV module/box, double-checked for good wire connection.
  • Unplugged the battery several times for 10 minutes + each time.
The following don't work:
  • NAV screen (it lights up a very soft grey, with horizontal lines through it).
  • Turn signals and 4-ways (the bulbs light up but don't flash).
  • Radio, CB, AUX, Comms.
  • Key fob doesn't unlock the bags.
These DO work:
  • Starts right up every time, runs perfect.
  • Headlights.
  • Brake lights.
  • Horn.
  • Instruments (Speedo, ODO, Gas gauge, etc.).
  • Ride height adjustment.
Haven't been able to ride it for a while now. Hope you have some insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Paging Rob - I've already told him about Larry regarding his radio. Can you give him some help regarding the rest...

@techdude2000

·
Vendor
21,573 Posts
The audio units on the 01-08 bikes had a protection diode in them that would blow, so none of your audio functions would work if you hooked up the battery backwards. You'll need to open up the radio and replace this diode, or else send it to Larry to do. I think it was either diode D701 or D710 that would blow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The audio units on the 01-08 bikes had a protection diode in them that would blow, so none of your audio functions would work if you hooked up the battery backwards. You'll need to open up the radio and replace this diode, or else send it to Larry to do. I think it was either diode D701 or D710 that would blow.
Fred, would that account for the blanked-out LCD screen also?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
What "booster" do you have that does not have "cross wire protection"? Even my really old and large Lead Acid battery packs signal cross polarity before you turn them "on". The small lithium type sold today has a small box in the battery hook-up cables that prevent backwards hook-ups from making a connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What "booster" do you have that does not have "cross wire protection"? Even my really old and large Lead Acid battery packs signal cross polarity before you turn them "on". The small lithium type sold today has a small box in the battery hook-up cables that prevent backwards hook-ups from making a connection.
That's the strange part...Even the green "HOOKED UP RIGHT" light came on after I hooked it up. It was a perfect storm with only one outcome...

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,595 Posts
I replied to his original post on another BB. This is probably a blown accessory relay and or the fuse for the CB/Radio/Flashers. Hopefully the diode in the audio unit didn’t bite it, but I’m not holding much hope for it.

·
Vendor
21,573 Posts
I replied to his original post on another BB. This is probably a blown accessory relay and or the fuse for the CB/Radio/Flashers. Hopefully the diode in the audio unit didn’t bite it, but I’m not holding much hope for it.
Good point about the relays. All the relays contain a "kickback diode" in them that is across the control coil. If you reverse bias it, you'll damage the diode, and depending on the failure mode (short versus open) this could cause the relay to no longer function if the diode is permanently shorted.

·
Vendor
21,573 Posts
Fred, would that account for the blanked-out LCD screen also?
I can't say for sure if it would or not, I haven't personally seen the audio unit protection diode failure on a 2008 bike. But typically, when the LCD is blank, it is because the Nav unit itself lost power. The Nav unit receives power two ways, one is direct from the battery (thru fuse 31), and the second is from the Accessory relay, which is used to trigger it to boot up. So like TechDude said above, if the accessory relay is bad, the Nav system won't power up and the screen will be blank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked and swapped out the 20-amp fuse, no joy. Swapped out the 20-amp relay with two different relays, still no joy. The LCD screen initially goes bright for just a second, then does very dim grey with some horizontal lines through it. And remember, I DID replace the NAV module/computer to see it that would work and no, it didn't.

Horn works,engine starts and runs with full instruments, just no blinkers, no sound, no LCD screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts