GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a neutral light, engine won't start even with clutch in. Hear two distintivie clinks when pulling clutch in. Get reverse light when engaged and can hear it kick on. Side stand light goes on and off as it should. Have run through the gears up and down nunerous times. Cleaned clutch, reverse, and kill switches and exercised numerous times. Battery is showing good voltage. Disconnected and reconnected battery.
Any other suggests????????? 02 1800

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Light

Sounds like the shifter linkage maybe bent and not letting it make the netural switch.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Light

Brian Hand said:
Sounds like the shifter linkage maybe bent and not letting it make the netural switch.
I would first check ALL of the fuses.

If it was a neutral switch problem on the trans, holding the clutch fully in would still allow the bike to start

arnettdl- What changes have you made to the bike recently?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
Re: Light

All Boots No Saddle said:
[quote="Brian Hand":2dkmhutf]Sounds like the shifter linkage maybe bent and not letting it make the netural switch.
I would first check ALL of the fuses.

If it was a neutral switch problem on the trans, holding the clutch fully in would still allow the bike to start

arnettdl- What changes have you made to the bike recently?[/quote:2dkmhutf]

Unless the side stand was down when you tried it with the clutch pulled in. The neutral switch is part of the same assembly as the over drive switch, there's no way you could bend the linkage to cause the switch to not work. The switch is moved by the shift drum. If the transmission is actually moving through the gears then the switch is moving with it. I would look for a break in the harness for the switch. It runs up the front of the engine from the cover next to the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just a reminder to look for the simple things first -- like the kill switch. (Don't as me how I know! :oops: )

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
k7lvo said:
Just a reminder to look for the simple things first -- like the kill switch. (Don't as me how I know! :oops: )
True!

Checking the kill switch and putting the side stand up are so automatic for me I forget to mention them in the troubleshooting list. :wink:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with the question at hand, but leaving the switch in the off position is caused either by accident or forgetfulness in turning it back on after the engine has stopped. I alway use the kill switch first to shut the engine off, then turn the ignition off. After I've turned the ignition off, I automatically switch the kill switch back to the on position.
When you restart the engine, you already know that the kill switch is not at fault if you have trouble starting the engine, unless, of course, someone messes around with your bike.

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I ran out and did a quick test. At least on an '06, the kill switch will not prevent the neutral light from coming on.

Good luck in tracking it down.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
arnettdl, when you hit the starter button, what happens? Does it crank the engine and just doesn't start or is there no starter function at all? If you turn on the cruise, does the orange cruise light come on? :?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
kg5ie said:
I ran out and did a quick test. At least on an '06, the kill switch will not prevent the neutral light from coming on.
I believe that's true on all Wings, but if you're trying to start the bike when you're not in neutral, you still need to make sure the clutch lever is pulled, the sidestand is up, and the kill switch is in the run position.

Just another step in the diagnostic process. :wink:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
When you feel the tranny in nuetral, can you roll the bike with the clutch out to ensure the tranny is in nuetral?

Could it be a dual problem with the nuetral bulb burnt out and the starter button dirty and not making contact to engage the starter? Perhaps the nuetral light is also a sensor for the starter system?

More info please....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With side stand up and clutch pulled in, bike will not start. Stand light goes out as it should. Lights dim when I hit the starter button. I get the oil pressure light and F1 light(goes out after a second) when I turn the key on. Bike is in neutral as I can move it around. Kill switch is working okay. Cruise control light comes on when activated. As originally stated, reverse appears to work okay. Light comes on when engaged and can hear it kick in.
Hadn't ridden for a couple weeks due to weather. Rolled bike out of garage on Sat (didn't start it) to check tire pressure and go for a ride. Couldn't get neutral light when I tried to start it. Messed with switches, cleaning them with contact/electrical spray, but didn't take any apart. Pushed bike back in garage. Put battery on charger even though it didn't appear to be a problem. Have new battery charging now that I already had on hand and will put it in just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
arnettdl said:
With side stand up and clutch pulled in, bike will not start. ....
After all that you still don't tell us if the starter turns the engine over or not. "Will not start" doesn't tell us much.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
The neutral light is an LED and it's very unlikely that its gone bad, but not impossible, and no it doesn't have any bearing on the circuit. If no fuses are blown, and the starter relays are not clicking along with no starter rotation, I would look at the start button's contacts and wiring and the reverse switch on the right side of the engine behind the chrome side cover. If the starter is actually turning the engine, there's something completely different causing the problem. :?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
Are you hearing any clicks from the battery area when you hit the starter button? Have you checked fuse #12?

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
It could be the reverse system or reverse switch itself. If the system thinks it is in reverse, the neutral light will go out.

If you look at page 3-83 of the manual (Reverse System) you will see the neutral light gets it's ground from the gear position switch and gets it's power from the reverse shift switch. You could have a bad reverse shift switch (not uncommon). You will also notice a line tied back to the starting system (page 3-58/59).

The Reverse Regulator Assembly or the connections to/from it would be my other suspect.

·
Registered
501 Posts
re you sure battery is fully charged ????

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
Fred H. said:
It could be the reverse system or reverse switch itself. If the system thinks it is in reverse, the neutral light will go out.

If you look at page 3-83 of the manual (Reverse System) you will see the neutral light gets it's ground from the gear position switch and gets it's power from the reverse shift switch. You could have a bad reverse shift switch (not uncommon). You will also notice a line tied back to the starting system (page 3-58/59).

The Reverse Regulator Assembly or the connections to/from it would be my other suspect.
Yep, just noticed the limit switch in the reverse actuator could also kill the light and confuse the system.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does anyone know the fix for this problem? My 05 is doing the same
thing, except mine might work one time and not the next. I have done
some checking and found that when not working there is not any voltage
to the "Reverse Relay coil" thats the "Y/R" wire. I have installed a micro switch from the coil of the "Reverse Shift Relay 1" to it. Now it will start
when I press the starter and micro switch's at the same time. The fuses are all good. Help. and yes it is under warrenty but the dealer is having
problems finding the problem.

Ken

1 - 20 of 28 Posts