GL1800Riders Forums banner

No power to Fuel pump relay 2003 GL 1800

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  techdude2000 
#1 ·
I have no power to the fuel pomp relay. Pump is good, I tested it with 12 volts. I get no voltage at the connector, an none to the relay connector. I tested the relay and it tested good. I'm not sure where to look now.

#2 ·
Make sure kill switch is in "on" position and FI light comes on when you first turn key on, then goes off after a couple of seconds. If no FI light, won't get power to fuel pump as kill switch is not making proper contact.

Let us know results. Also, verify fuses good.

Reactions: Bri720a
#4 ·
Most common reason is the switch is never operated to keep the contact surfaces clean. So you end up with a tiny little connection spot that any little jiggle will move it to an oxidized section and break contact.

Easiest fix to do before disassembly and manual contact cleaner - With key off cycle switch back and forth end to end 50+ times. Then turn key on with switch in run position and see if FI light comes on and fuel pump briefly whirls. If no FI light, repeat step one again and try it. If still no go, time to disassemble.

#9 ·
Hello,
Well I tried cycling the switch and when that didn't do anything I disassembled the control head and tested continuity at the contacts of the switch. The switch works fine, so I closed the circuit physically and still no F1 light or fuel pump action......I'm not sure where to check now. Bike ran fine when I parked it, the next time I went to ride,,,,no start. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#11 ·
Hello,
Well I tried cycling the switch and when that didn't do anything I disassembled the control head and tested continuity at the contacts of the switch. The switch works fine, so I closed the circuit physically and still no F1 light or fuel pump action......I'm not sure where to check now. Bike ran fine when I parked it, the next time I went to ride,,,,no start. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Does the starter spin the engine?

#7 · (Edited)
If you turn on the key and push the starter button with a good neutral light on, does it crank the engine? If so, the kill switch is good and you may have a meltdown of C5 (see thread about C5 and C25 at the top of the Tech board.) Is the front fairing on the bike? If not, the bank angle sensor needs to be connected or it’s harness plug has to be jumpered to provide the ground for the FI/Ignition relay. This relay provides the power for the whole FI system, including the fuel pump relay and the pump on those black/yellow wires.

#8 ·
Good advice from techdude as usual 👌. My recommendation is for the most common, easy to check. His item regarding engine cranking over I forgot about and definitely rules out the kill switch. I just worked on a bike with kill switch issue and had target fixation.

Reactions: techdude2000
#15 ·
Had to stop with the bike for a while and when I got back to it I just took it to a certified Honda service center. It ended up being the bank angle sensor, exactly what I was going to ask you about. But they want to charge me $950.00 to repair. Do you know where that sensor is on the 2003 GL 1800? is it something that I can do with out tearing down the whole bike? I found a Honda recall for the sensor for that year but it didn't include my VIN. It stated that the inspection time was .03 hrs and the fix was .04 hrs. The part is $101.00 and really does not need to be replaced. I can't figure out how they got to $950.00. Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

#18 ·
@cortez So $400 for what ever they did, then another $950? So a total of $1350 to fix a broken wire? Man am I glad you figured it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.