GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 wing traded in ,so i have no records of how this started or when . when the unit is put on head phone works fine, when switched to outside speakers ,no sound . mute is not on , unit has four speakers and all do not produce sound. where do you start the check list ! i have another bike here i could take the head out if needed. have this unit sold and but need some tunes ! HELP!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Audio Button?

If you hit the Audio button twice it switched between headset and speakers. Maybe you don't used headset and therefore not hearing it?

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
coachrice,
What you are asking is difficult to answer due to the fact that you have a used bike and don't know what the previous owner did to it.

1. make sure CB is off if the bike has one
2. Make sure the display shows a speaker icon, and not a headphone when you switch to external speakers.
3. Turn the intercom off.

After you have done all that, if you still have audio in the headset, and not through the speakers, it is probably not a setting that is wrong. You have an electrical problem.

Since you have rear speakers, take off the seat and disconnect the 4 pin plug that goes to the rear speakers. This will eliminate the rear wiring a speakers as the cause of the problem. If even one wire or speaker is shorted, it will cut out all 4 of them.

While you have the seat off, look around and try to determine if the previous owner has been doing a lot of electrical work. He may have installed an aftermarket amp, and it may either be defective, or he may have removed it, leaving the speaker wires from the radio disconnected.

Except for the common problem of rear speaker wires getting pinched, no audio on speakers only is not a common problem. Go through the checklist first and then disconnect that cable, and get back to us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no sound

thanks to all who helped, i did all the checks and found that the head was bad ! changed it out of another bike and saved a delivery . thank you ! thought i would have a hard time replacing head ,found one on ebay 125.00 new ! thanks again for the feed back and direction. i often tell my customers of this web site, just to go on and cruise it , makes u wise . i counted 13 bikes i bought off here last year. ! everyone was as it was listed . good job. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts