GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from Cherokee today, and stopped at Tallulah Gorge. When we started to leave, I was backing it up (manually), when my foot slipped on some loose gravel. I didn't drop the bike hard, just kinda laid it over, got off, and picked it back upright. When I tried to re-start it, it wouldn't fire. I pushed it across the road and tried it a couple more times. I finally put it in neutral, put the kickstand down, and got off. I stood there a minute or so scratching my head, and tried the starter once more. It fired off immediately, and gave me no more problems all the way back to Macon. The first time I laid it over, after I first got it, I didn't have any problem cranking it right back up, and I've laid it over on purpose to change the tire without any problem once I stood it back up. Does anyone know what might have caused this?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My guess is that it was the bank angle sensor. Once you turned the key off and it set a little, it would crank back up as it should.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I was going to ask if the first time you turned the key to the off position before you tried to start it. I did the same thing in Georgia one time. Stood the bike back up and hit the starter nothing. Turned the ignition off and looked things over, turned it to on hit the starter button, fired right up!

·
Vendor
17,554 Posts
When they get dropped, you always have to cycle the key to restart.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yep. Cycling the key is required after a drop. You don't have to wait, but you do have to cycle.

Jason

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine will not start with the kickstand down and in gear. Has to have kickstand up or in neutral with kickstand down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts